PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: '73 Springfield Trapdoor made in 1874

hornady308
10-15-2016, 08:32 PM
I was participating in an estate sale a couple of years ago and I noticed this lonely Trapdoor that was getting very little attention. The stock was obviously cut down and it had a new front sight installed, and someone had done a little carving on the stock, but I still thought it was worth more than the high $175 bid, especially considering the 4 digit serial number and condition of the bore. So, I bid $225 and won. Surprised me! Anyhow, I slugged the bore and found it mics at .461, so I cast some RD460-300-rf boolits and added on some aluminum checks, then loaded them over 12gr Unique and a standard rifle primer. I only loaded 5 rounds because I wasn't expecting much. Not knowing where it would shoot, I put the front sight about halfway up the V notch in the rear sight, fired two shots, and saw that it was hitting a little high at 75 yards. Next I shot my last three rounds with the rear sight pretty much buried in the rear sight and got right at a 1" group. Since I can't see farther than 125 yards where I deer hunt, I figure this load will get the job done. So I'm going to load up a bunch, do some practice, then go huntin' in a month. We'll see what the old boy can do. I know the boolits don't need checks at this velocity, but my cast are only .461, so I figured the checks might help. Next time I'll try some without checks.

cold1
10-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Gives me hope for my Trapdoor!

1Hawkeye
10-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Trapdoors are fun I just got an 1884 model rifle made in 1887 that i'm doing load development for. Being that mine is an 84 model I didn't try any 300 gr but I tried 330gr, 385gr, 405gr, 2 different 500 gr, and a 535gr. Everything was loaded with sr 4759 except the 535gr postells I loaded them with Unique and for fun I loaded some collar buttons with unique as well they were about 6" high at 25 yards but very quiet and accurate. Once you get use to the sights its amazing what a trapdoor with a good bore will do. Being that yours is an early model you can use the lighter bullets because of the diffrent twist in the rifling try the lyman 385gr and 405 gr. They work great with Unique also and Unique is a lot easier on the shoulder and the wallet.

varsity07840
10-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Trapdoors are fun I just got an 1884 model rifle made in 1887 that i'm doing load development for. Being that mine is an 84 model I didn't try any 300 gr but I tried 330gr, 385gr, 405gr, 2 different 500 gr, and a 535gr. Everything was loaded with sr 4759 except the 535gr postells I loaded them with Unique and for fun I loaded some collar buttons with unique as well they were about 6" high at 25 yards but very quiet and accurate. Once you get use to the sights its amazing what a trapdoor with a good bore will do. Being that yours is an early model you can use the lighter bullets because of the diffrent twist in the rifling try the lyman 385gr and 405 gr. They work great with Unique also and Unique is a lot easier on the shoulder and the wallet.

All Springfield Models 1873-1888 have the same twist. 1/22.

Washington1331
10-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Old trapdoors are notorious for shooting high with reduction of boolit weights or power charges from what the sights are calibrated at. I recommend getting a copy of Spencer Wolf's book on reloading for trapdoor rifles. He does an excellent job explaining how to wrangle the most accuracy out of the old warhorses.

My only caution is about using gas checks on your boolits. I had a buddy who took a pristine original bore and blew it out quite quickly due to excessive wear from gas checks. The barrels are much softer, and don't hold up very well to jacket material usage. I've had good luck with an about 40:1 lead/tin ratio and the lee 405HB mold. Trapdoor rifles love soft lead around BHN 7-10. I've shot hundreds of rounds down range, and my barrel still mikes the same as the day that I got it.

Best of luck.

Traffer
10-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Someday Ima get me one of those!
Speaking of which. Can anyone tell me what kind of pressure limits there are on a H&R Buffalo Classic?
I was going to start by getting one of those.

hornady308
10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
The Buff Classic is built on the sb2 frame, so it can handle mid-level 45-70 loads intended for lever action rifles. Your shoulder probably wouldn't like anything hotter than that. I have the Target Classic in 38-55. I was planning to develop some hot loads for hunting, but it is so accurate with black powder level loads that they are all I use.