PDA

View Full Version : My Ruger New Model Single Six .32 Project.

Chev. William
10-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Last month I had some "Disposable Funds" and choose a Used Ruger New Model Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum as a 'Project'.

The 'Project' is to fit it for interchangeable cylinders for various cartridges.
there Are two 'families' of .32 Size cartridges.
S&W family of Cartridges of .337 body diameter.
These range from .32 auto, at .680 case Length, to .327 Fed. mag., at 1.200' case length.
Colt family of cartridges of .318" body diameter.
These range from .32 Extra short (RF), at .398" case length, to .32 Extra Long (RF), at 1.150" case length and .32 Short colt (CF), at .650" case length, to .32 Long colt, at .916" case length, plus 'Mildcat' Cf versions of the RF Case lengths and up to 1.200" or so.

I am currently planning the S&W family will be done in Blued Steel cylinders and the Colt family will be done in Stainless steel Cylinders for Visual differentiation of the two case Body Diameters.
For best theoretical accuracy, a cylinder will be made for each Cartridge.

I have not yet Figured out a Marking method to inexpensively label the Various Cylinder's Calibers.

The first two to be made, in addition to the Original .32 H&R cylinder are .32 Auto and .32 Long Colt. The Long Colt one will have chambers that will accept cartridges made from .912" long cases and Accurate Mold 311090A cast Lead bullets.
Obviously it will also accept cases down to.78" length with outside Lube Heeled bullets.
I doubt I will use the later, and undersized, Inside lube bullets of the .32 Long Rifle series.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

jonp
10-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Interesting. I think the S&W will be the most popular. You would have to order the cylinders and have a gunsmith fit them or send the gun to you to have them fitted?

Chev. William
10-17-2016, 03:08 PM
I have been buying cylinders off of Ebay and from "www.gunpartscorp.com" so they are sent tome and I take them to my gunsmith for the chamber re-cut and eventual fitting.

So far, I have not received back either of the two re-cut .32 sized 6-shot cylinders back for inspection.

When I bought the .32 H&R Ruger, we measured and tried the .22-mag and LR cylinders in it and they 'fit' with an obvious big gap between the front and the forcing cone.

It seems like Ruger used the same overall Length dimension for both the .22 cylinders and the .32 H&R cylinder but moved the main bulk of the cylinder forward by the rim thickness so the same length along the 'chamber' is farther forward in the Frame. both my gunsmith and I believe it will work with the barrel and forcing cone set back and the original .32 H&R Cylinder Front cut back some to match the New forcing cone position.

From what i gather from my reading, the .327 FM version has a Longer Cylinder body but still uses the same over all length for the cylinder in the frame, with the forcing cone cut to flush (or almost flush) with the frame, to accommodate the longer cartridge.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Mk42gunner
10-18-2016, 09:26 AM
For marking the cylinders, I would try electro-chemical etching.

Robert

35remington
10-18-2016, 05:59 PM
If anything would be a worthless duplication of effort to no good purpose, making separate cylinders in 32 S and W Long and 32 Long Colt would have my hearty nomination.

But it's not my money, of course.

Chev. William
10-18-2016, 07:45 PM
35remington,
I don't follow your comment:
"If anything would be a worthless duplication of effort to no good purpose, making separate cylinders in 32 S and W Long and 32 Long Colt would have my hearty nomination."

The Two Cartridges are different diameters in the Body (S&W=.336" and Colt=.318") so would not work in one cylinder interchangeably.

Why do you think making two separate cylinder would be a 'waste of Money'?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

35remington
10-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Because there's little difference in the performance of the two cartridges. Long Colt cases are more expensive, harder to get and require a heeled bullet in accomplishing the same thing. No difference in performance while racking up more expense in obtaining identical performance and spending more money on another cylinder. This is when "wants" totally depart from any practicality.

Rather like buying a Toro and a Lawnboy push mower to mow the same yard. The Smith and Wesson Long makes good sense. A Smith Long and a Colt Long does not. If you want to be different, get the Colt Long cylinder made instead, but getting both made is like putting mudflaps on a sledgehammer.

Save the money for 32's that don't overlap to anywhere near this degree. Heck, make it for a super shorty or magnum 32 if you want. A 32 Smith and Wesson (shorty cartridge) cylinder would be great fun. My own "wild hare" thoughts run like that myself. Absolute minimum expense to shoot and plinking and small game centric without putting a crud ring in a longer chamber.

I just see what you propose as essentially equivalent to making two 32 Smith and Wesson longs, only with more hassle and even more expense. The performance equivalency would be of the same nature.

I am with you in spirit as I love 32 revolvers myself. I just have a different view on practicality of choices. For example, I can make a pretty fair case for the short 32 Smith and Wesson chambering,'believe it or not.

Chev. William
10-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Point Taken.

My thinking was to be able to test loads in a Robust action for my .32 Long Colt actions of lessor Strength, such as 1894 Stevens Favorite in 32 Long converted to CF.

The .32 S&W Long was because of The "crud ring" and reduced accuracy due to the bullet 'rattling' in the longer chamber before reaching the cylinder throat of the .32 H&R chambers.

I am already having a .22LR 6-shot cylinder re-cut to take .32 Auto cartridges so the Project is in its beginnings.

Also the intent of trying to use Stainless Steel Cylinders for the "Colt family" is the thought of firing Black Powder (BP) Loads in the 'Colt sized' cartridges along with Smokeless Loads, hoping for easier clean up from the BP use.

My .38 Colt DA "Lightening" Sheriffs/Storekeeper revolver is tedious to clean up after using BP loads but still fun to shoot so I do it. I find Two Minimum cleanings separated by 24 hours is the Minimum I can 'live with' and three are more comfortable. Submerging that 100+ year old revolver in Hot Soapy Water is not my Idea of Good things to do. Luckily it still has about 85% of its original Nickel Finish.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

35remington
10-19-2016, 06:08 PM
One of the things that surprised me about the 32 long Smith is that velocity variations are somewhat high with powder positioning extremes. Since it is smaller than the 38 Special case I figured it might be better in that regard, but it is actually somewhat worse. I figure the modest operating pressure is mostly to blame, but elevate pressures and volume of powder fill to a level where things improve and the loads are hard on my I frame Smith and 1919 manufacture Colt Police Positive.

With a stout Ruger one could load the short 32 Smith and Wesson case to 32 ACP type pressures and equal or better 32 long ballistics with better consistency due to the small case. NOE's RCBS 98 SWC clone and the 313492 wadcutter clone they offer are ideal for the short case as both seat shallowly and work well with the 32 Smith and Wesson's small capacity. A snugly throated cylinder mating well with the barrel's groove dimensions would be the ideal low cost plinker and small game gun. Roundball loads would be notably efficient, and the larger rim of the 32 would have appeal over the ACP case.

When I am lazy, which is a lot of the time, I simply slather Wonder Sludge (TC Bore Butter) over the fired black powder revolver and clean more thoroughly when I feel like it. Sometimes this is a considerable length of time. No rust ever develops and the fouling/sludge mixture wipes off easily in preparation for the next shoot. Very little time and effort is expended in so doing.

Such are my impractical dreams along these lines in custom chambered 32 revolvers, as it probably just makes more sense to load the RCBS 98 WC to 750 fps in the long case and forget the whole idea. But it would be nice to load the SWC type bullets of shallower seating depth to better levels of ballistic consistency. In the meantime, when such things matter, I can just point the barrel skyward and lower it before I shoot, I guess.

gwpercle
10-19-2016, 06:27 PM
People with disposable funds get to dispose them however they please, go for it !
Life's short , do what makes you happy.

35remington
10-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Certainly do agree, it's his money. Be as impractical as you want. But speaking for myself, even "mad" money has limits. And lots of cylinders cost real money. I would get what I want with minimal overlap at first and save the more extraneous stuff for last, with "extraneous" following one's own reasoned judgement, which of course varies with the person judging.

Earlwb
10-19-2016, 06:43 PM
I wonder if the cylinders are long enough for the .30 Carbine cartridge. That might be another possibility for the pistol too.
I think it will be very interesting to find out what your results will be from your testing. This is an awesome way to go about it. I like it.

Chev. William
10-20-2016, 05:54 PM
I believe, from memory, that the .30 Carbine Cartridge OAL is about 1.680" and the case length is about 1.290". It is a Tapered Rimless Body design so I doubt it would both fit and be safe to fire in a 'Single Six' Cylinder at the nominal MAP of 40,000psi.

It is chambered in the Larger Ruger Frames though.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: that brings up the Possibility of .45 Win. Mag. in a "Bearcat" or "Redhawk" Frame size. Chev. William

Chev. William
10-24-2016, 03:24 PM
I was informed of a Difference in Bullets specifications between US and European Practices for .32ACP cartridges and it seems rather important.

The US reloading manuals seem to say the bullets are .312" diameter.
The CIP Standards for Europe Say the Bullets are .308" +/-.001" Diameter after conversion from Metric.
What is Correct????
What effects does this difference have on Accuracy, or Interchangeability?

best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
10-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Today my gunsmith pushed a slug through my .32 H&R Ruger New Model Single Six of 1985 Vintage and we measured the bore as .303" and Grooves as .312" Diameters.
This seems to be slightly big for CIP standards but about right for SAAMI recommendations.

My old (about 110 years) J.Stevens A&T Co. Barrels seem to measure about .300" bore and .306" to .308" Grooves, which seems to be closer to CIP.

Reasonable since SAAMI did not get going until about 1926, some 30 years after my Barrels were made.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

NoZombies
10-25-2016, 10:12 PM
The colt series of cartridges should only require a single cylinder, as the heeled base bullets are of the same diameter as the case, and a .32 S colt chamber should be identical to a .32 L Colt chamber.

I am aware of the inside lubed hollow based version of the L cartridge, but it would do you no good to have a .303 throat with that, as you would want the bullet to start expanding as early as possible, rather than being held closed in the cylinder and expanding at the jump to the forcing cone.

Chev. William
10-27-2016, 01:38 AM
The .32 Colt family have a case diameter of .318" and my bullets are of .311" to .314" diameter. I do have Accurate mold 311090A bullets with a .301" heel and a .311 Driving Band size. These Are a 'inside Lube Groove' design with one generous lube groove on the Heel and no exposed Lube nominally outside The case. This Bullet, if I remember correctly, has a .100" long driving band so will Chamber if loaded in a .912" long Case for ".32 Long" J.Stevens Rifle Chambers. I would expect similar length chambers in my Ruger would accept similar Loads.
Yes, a "Short" can be fired in a "Long" Chamber.
Perhaps an "Extra short" could also, but how would its resulting accuracy be? about Half inch of "rattle bore" between case mouth and chamber throat sounds like a potential for Poor Results.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

NoZombies
10-27-2016, 04:38 AM
Chev, I just measured several brands of factory .32 colt ammo I have on my shelf, and they all come out within a thousandth or two of the same. Case measurement at the base is .314-.316 with the same diameter at the case mouth, and each one also sports a heel based bullet of the same diameter as the case with the exception of the hollow based inside lubed stuff, which seems to have bullet diameters between about .300 and .301.

All of my .32 rimfire measures .313-.314 for both heel based bullet and case diameter.

Chev. William
10-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Then The dimensions you quote Would be Correct for the Family, I Stand Corrected.
Now I need To figure out why my Dial Caliper is giving 'high' readings.
I will look into that tomorrow after I handle my business errands in the Morning.

Just For the Frustration, my local Forecast is for Rain tomorrow.

My "Shop" is my back Patio under a 10'x20' Shelter tent.
My "Reloading Bench" is a 1" thick by roughly 2 foot by 8 foot Marine Plywood Folding Leg Table set up under the shelter tent with my Reloading Press "c-clamped" to the edge over the leg near one end;

Comfortable most of the time but can be 'poor' in a rain storm or high winds.
My Propellants, Primers, Brass, and Bullets are Stored in Surplus WW2 era 'M1' 50 Cal ammo cans and some later 'M2' 50 Cal.and 40mm ammo cans.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

NoZombies
10-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Then The dimensions you quote Would be Correct for the Family, I Stand Corrected.
Now I need To figure out why my Dial Caliper is giving 'high' readings.
I will look into that tomorrow after I handle my business errands in the Morning.

Just For the Frustration, my local Forecast is for Rain tomorrow.

My "Shop" is my back Patio under a 10'x20' Shelter tent.
My "Reloading Bench" is a 1" thick by roughly 2 foot by 8 foot Marine Plywood Folding Leg Table set up under the shelter tent with my Reloading Press "c-clamped" to the edge over the leg near one end;

Comfortable most of the time but can be 'poor' in a rain storm or high winds.
My Propellants, Primers, Brass, and Bullets are Stored in Surplus WW2 era 'M1' 50 Cal ammo cans and some later 'M2' 50 Cal.and 40mm ammo cans.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev, it wasn't my goal to correct you, just relay my findings. I went and measured because I questioned my memory when you posted your numbers, not as an attempt to prove you wrong.

If you ever get to FL, look me up, I think we've got a lot of similar interests and I bet we'd have fun at the range!

Chev. William
10-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Since TSA took over "Airline Security" I have not tried to travel anywhere I cannot drive myself, so a trip to FL from CA is not in my Present Plans.
Thanks for the Invite though. I do have another friend who presently lives in Jacksonville area.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
12-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Yesterday, I took a Ruger Stainless Steel 6-shot 22-MAG cylinder to my 'Favorite' Gunshop and discussed it with the Boss of the Shop.
I had bought it off Ebay for $20.00 plus shipping as it was described as having "Rust Spots and some pitting" by the seller and no one else bid on it.
Upon Receipt I saw that the Described Condition was mostly True as it did have pits in/on it, but no 'rust' was evident. Then I got out a 10 power Loope and started looking closely at the Pits. OH MY GOD!
One "Pit" actually looked like a 'Blow Hole in a Poor Casting" and had a small opening in the outside rim rebate that opened into a large void inside the Outer wall of that chamber. Several more Pits looked like smaller 'blow holes" that had been Machined away in the Automated Machining Processes used by Ruger.
The cylinder showed no evidence of ever being fired, or even Cycled in the original firearm. it was marked with a Vibratory Engraver on the 'muzzle end' with a three digit number and a symbol, so it was 'Fitted by Ruger' to a Revolver frame originally. How it got through Ruger Processing I just Do Not Know.
It is now with my gunshop to try to see if they can get an exchange cylinder from Ruger, possibly with some of the Cost deferred for this 'defective' one, as I do not wish to send my .25Caliber long barrel Revolver Back to Ruger with this cylinder.
Ruger will not sell Cylinders to the general customers unless THEY get to fit it to the Firearm it is to be used in. And Ruger will not fit it to a Customized Firearm until the firearm is returned to Original Shipped Configuration again.

I do not want my .25 Caliber Ruger Single Eight returned to .22 caliber, nor to Single Six, and my 10-5/8" Custom .25ACP barrel replaced with a Standard .22 Ruger Barrel with the frame restored to RIM FIRE from its Current CENTER FIRE arrangement.

Now We will need to wait to see what Ruger Decides to do/offer.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

racepres
12-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Very Interesting Reading
Sounds like you are having some fun anyway!!!
My Single Six in 32HR, will digest 32 S&W's, and 32CP's Just fine..For some reason, there is a Very slight "rim" on the ACP's and the ruger holds them well, and they shoot plenty good...even with a long trip to the forcing cone..
I suppose, given a very long time, damage may occur to the cylinder...but, it has not to this point...Many. [I don't remember how many but more than 15] years later...
Your method is Intriguing just the same...
Lets see it when closer to "done"

Chev. William
12-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Very Interesting Reading
Sounds like you are having some fun anyway!!!
My Single Six in 32HR, will digest 32 S&W's, and 32CP's Just fine..For some reason, there is a Very slight "rim" on the ACP's and the ruger holds them well, and they shoot plenty good...even with a long trip to the forcing cone..
I suppose, given a very long time, damage may occur to the cylinder...but, it has not to this point...Many. [I don't remember how many but more than 15] years later...
Your method is Intriguing just the same...
Lets see it when closer to "done"

racepres,
"Fun", "Entertaining", "Enjoyable", and reasonably 'economical' it is. I currently an working with my gunshop on oth a .25ACP series Single Eight (Converted from a .22 Cal Single Six) Ruger and a .32 H&R Single Six Ruger. The Latter is a possible candidate for rework to take 6-shot Cylinders chambered for .32 Colt Short and Long along with .32 ACP, .32 S&W short, .32 S&W Long, and 32 H&R Mag.; but with the Cylinder made with enclosed Rims instead of Exposed like Ruger did. The conversion cylinders will be made from .22-Mag. Cylinders by boring and Cutting The New Chamber(s).

Currently my gunshop has both a Blued Alloy Steel and a Stainless Steel .22-Mag. Cylinder to use in Trial boring and chambering. IF This is successful, Then I wil consider having my .32 Ruger Barrel set back to fit the Revised .22 to .32 Cylinders. This is because The .22-Mag based Cylinders have their Main body Bulk Set back toward the Recoil face by about .050" compared tpo the Center fire cylinder with its exposed rims.

Our Hope and intent is to use the SS cylinder(s) for the Colt diameter Cartridge family and the Blued Steel ones for the S&W diameter Cartridge family. This will of course Limit the Possibility of using any cartridge loaded longer than 1.400" Over All Length.
A custom Hand load of .327 Federal Magnum Cases would be possible with a Full Wad-Cutter Bullet set Deep in the case, to stay under the 1.400" length limit.

I find that Being Retired, is Better if I do Keel somewhat active both in Hobbies and in Part time Work (to Keep The Bills Paid).

Retirement is NOT otherwise Fun as Taxes and Utility Bills Keep going up and my Retirement Payments do NOT keep up. a one plus Percent increase just does not keep up with two Percent increases in Property taxes nor with the Greater percentage increases in my Utility Bills.
Luckly I am Still in good health and can keep accepting 'Work Calls' from my Union Dispatcher
For the Typical one day of work each as available throughout the Year. Steady State Employment in the Movie Industry is a thing of the Past it seems, especially for those over 65-68 years old.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

P Flados
12-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Chev,

Your posts on small bore center-fire revolvers in combination with my lead usage vs re-supply deficient situation inspired me to travel a somewhat similar path.

Just thought I would say thanks and share the path I am working my waydown.

It all started with joining a local indoor range that is only a five minute drive from the house. Between me, my youngest boy (and a then adding a shooting buddy I cast for) my usage got to where I was buying 5 gallons of wheel weights every couple of months. I was also on a good streak of sourcing some scores on soft lead. All of the above dried up at the same time after I got complacent.

The first thing I went after was easy. For my contender shooting, I dusted off a 30 Herrett barrel, made my own 60 grain RF flat side mold and got happy pretty fast. For this mold, planned lube is mostly BLL with ASBB PC using HF red for anything more than mild. This turned out to be an easy and excellent choice for off hand practice with a TC. Definitely less cost than 22s.

Next was the urge for a revolver. A new Ruger SP101 or Single seven in 327Fed both seemed to be somewhat available. On my second attempt, a local dealer quoted me a reasonable price for him to order me a 4.2”SP101 with nothing more than a phone inquiry (how could I resist).

In advance, my big concern with the gun was brass. I had some range pick up S&W long, some 32 Auto & some of those really short little 32 S&Ws. I looked for deal on used brass and found nothing. I gagged on the starline premium for a batch of 327s. I came up with a way to convert 223s, but was not sure how well it would work out.

I bought and received (thanks Titan) Lee 32 H&R mag reloading dies and a 0.314" Lee sizing die before my gun showed up at the dealer.

First batch of ammo included a handful of S&W longs and a handful of 327s I made from 223s. Boolits were from my 60 grn mold polished out a little and sized down to 0.314". This first batch was all BLL lubed.

All the S&W longs both shot bad and left really nasty residue in the chamber that made it tough to go from shorter to my longer cases without breaking out the cleaning equipment and more than a little elbow grease.

A good portion of my 327s I made from 223s were tight in the chambers. I also had a couple of FTFs. I blamed the FTFs on the thin rims and a bigger than expected gap behind the cylinder. Later I remembered primer seating issues (some may have been not fully seated). For the tight chamber situation, I was hoping to just cull the 10% or so with the thickest case walls. Pretty much all of these cases were also filthy black on the outside.

Worse than all of the above, the gun leaded badly.

For the leading, the standard checks found an obvious problem. The barrel was as expected (0.312") but the throats were closer to 0.315". I took my brand new Lee 0.314" sizer die, wrapped some 300 grit wet or dry around a wood dowel, stuck the dowel in a drill and polished the ID of the sizer. It took a couple of rounds "of polish then check the results", but soon I was sizing at 0.315".

When I went to increase the boolit OD on the mold, I messed the mold up. There were also some improvements needed. The new & improved mold now drops 56 grain pills. This little short boolit with flat sides really makes for high production from my two cavity mold. Last Sunday I did a batch of over 600 with probably say 50 rejects and with only around 3 hours in the shop (including setup, heatup and a brief 15 minute mold repair for a loose pin).

The bad side effect of going from 0.314” to 0.315” was that it really forced me into case wall thinning. I assembled a rig where I drive a case on a mandrel and then I turn the OD to thin the walls. Crude and tedious, but I felt had to do something. I made up a test batch of thinned cases.

With the thinned walls and the 0.315” boolits, shooting was good and there was no leading. Cases were still black on the outside and FTFs were still a problem. The second trip also included some PC coated boolits with more zip.

When sizing the cases from trip 2, the force required was inconsistent and just felt wrong but I decided with was something I would deal with later.

I thinned up a double handful more cases and loaded most of them. In response to the FTF issue, I came up with a way to try to adjust the rims and do better primer seating on a small portion of these. About then, I realized that the brass was just too hard. I annealed a dozen or so, loaded them and headed back to the range.

At the range, the annealed cases cured the black OD and felt much better during subsequent sizing. The rim adjustments seemed to work pretty good.

I now have a little over 100 that are thinned, annealed and have improved rims. However, after loading them up, I found that about 25% are still about 0.001” to 0.002" bigger than I want. I marked them for another pass of thinning after I shoot them.

Although making my own 327 cases from 223s has been a lot of pain & effort, it has also been kind of rewarding. I will probably do another batch using my lessons learned and try for an inventory of over 200.

The effort has been worth it in that I already know that I now have a real sweet shooting little target practice gun that is very happy spitting out large volumes of low power (probably close to 32 auto) level loads (3.1 grains of Titegroup under a 56 grain BLL lube boolit). It will also make a much bigger bang when I want. Currently I am doing 4.3 grains of Titegroup under PC coated pills, which is not even close to max based on the Hodgdon listed 5.6 grains of Titegroup under a 85 grain J word.

racepres
12-14-2016, 01:05 AM
All I can say is ...You cats sure put alot of labor into yer Lead Slingin!!!
I'm satisfied with a few Wildcats, and my Milsurps...
Oh...and a couple of older Standard types...
Entertaining to see what other folks are doing tho...
Maybe one of yas should have gotten a Dan Wesson...Some of the same things Going on...

shoot-n-lead
12-14-2016, 01:38 AM
I'm satisfied with a few Wildcats, and my Milsurps...
Oh...and a couple of older Standard types...
Entertaining to see what other folks are doing tho...
Maybe one of yas should have gotten a Dan Wesson...Some of the same things Going on...

I concur...the older I get, the more simple I want my shooting.

I just shoot more of the simple stuff to make up for it.

Chev. William
12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
P Flados,
Your Trip into Forming .327 FM Cases from .223 Brass is Very Interesting.
I have Bought some Empty New Brass at my Local Reloading supplies store for About $19.00 a Bag of 100 for .32 H&R Mag and .327 FM cartridges (The cases are Starline Head Stamp). Both have been used to experiment with Swaging down to .32 Colt diameters. I Feel Lucky that I can Occasionally find such deals to Experiment with. I noted that Midway had a 'Sale" on .327 Fed. Mag "Starline" Empty brass a While back at about $21.00 a Hundred. So it is sometimes Available on line at 'Reasonable" Prices for Frugal User needs.

racepres,
Yes, The Labor is more than 'buying off The Shelf' ammo and cases but I have more Time than Money at this time in my Life.

shoot-n-lead,
The forming of .25 Cases is a needed Effort to get some of my older firearms "Speaking" again as .25Stevens (Long) Rim fire ammo is not Commercially Available now, it is all "Collector Priced".
The 'One Time' costs to convert a Stevens Favorite or Model 44 to Center Fire is Well Spent in my opinion as i tallow s Reloading instead of 'one use' shooting. Besides I paid for the conversions back when I was still getting 'Work Calls' relatively Steadily in my early Retirement.

The Two Ruger Revolvers Are Late Purchase and Projects to get Strong Action Firearms for Load Developments that woudl strain the Stevens Actions unnecessarily.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

shoot-n-lead
12-14-2016, 03:40 PM
P Flados,
I have Bought some Empty New Brass at my Local Reloading supplies store for About $19.00 a Bag of 100 for .32 H&R Mag and .327 FM cartridges (The cases are Starline Head Stamp). Both have been used to experiment with Swaging down to .32 Colt diameters. I Feel Lucky that I can Occasionally find such deals to Experiment with. I noted that Midway had a 'Sale" on .327 Fed. Mag "Starline" Empty brass a While back at about $21.00 a Hundred. So it is sometimes Available on line at 'Reasonable" Prices for Frugal User needs.

racepres,
Yes, The Labor is more than 'buying off The Shelf' ammo and cases but I have more Time than Money at this time in my Life.

shoot-n-lead,
The forming of .25 Cases is a needed Effort to get some of my older firearms "Speaking" again as .25Stevens (Long) Rim fire ammo is not Commercially Available now, it is all "Collector Priced".
The 'One Time' costs to convert a Stevens Favorite or Model 44 to Center Fire is Well Spent in my opinion as i tallow s Reloading instead of 'one use' shooting. Besides I paid for the conversions back when I was still getting 'Work Calls' relatively Steadily in my early Retirement.

The Two Ruger Revolvers Are Late Purchase and Projects to get Strong Action Firearms for Load Developments that woudl strain the Stevens Actions unnecessarily.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Hey buddy, I fully understand what you are doing and why...don't blame you at all. I have just resolved to try to not get off into the things that I have in the past...it eliminates all those loose end that need to tied up.

All is good...and ENJOY it...you are blessed to be able to pursue these things.

P Flados
12-14-2016, 10:49 PM
The use of the "made from 223 cases" would possibly have been a lot easier with "lucky" dimensions:

- Chambers on the big side (mine were more "typical")
- At spec barrel (mine was right on, 0.312")
- Throats in on the small side (mine were 0.315", I wanted 0.312" - 0.313")
- Gap between the rear of the cylinder and frame normal (mine looks way oversized, I have a big gap even with S&W longs)

I doubt I will ever see a revolver with such dimensions.

To do what I did requires some removal of brass on the OD of the case above the rim in the solid web region. Planning to thin the cases all the way will not be than much more effort for many that have access to a little better tooling than I had. Anybody else wanting to try this should also plan on annealing right up front before the first loading with the cases.

Now if someone wanted to do something like this for say a break open with a 0.308" barrel, but a 32 H&R Long or 327 chamber, a thicker than normal case wall could actually be a good thing.

Chev. William
12-15-2016, 01:41 AM
P Flados,
With the .223 Base diameter at about .375" and the .327 FM at about .337" it seems you have a Difference of about .038". Swaging would Seem To take Multiple Stages if about .006" to .007" is allowed for each stage of reduction. I would Guess that the 6 or 7 Swaging Stages indicated would leave the Base Very Hard indeed due to Work Hardening. I suspect You would also see the flash hole Shrink in Diameter from Swaging and it would need to be re-drilled back to typical diameter as an added Step.

I can see that your process of Turning The Base down may be good with your tooling, But I would caution about thinning the 'Web to Wall' Transition as it nmay cause Premature failure by separation of the Base From the case Wall.

From Your Write-up, you have a Viable process to make Cases already. I just Suggest Swaging as an alternative to be thought about.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

P Flados
12-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Berfore I ever bought anything, I did some prototype conversions with "thinning the 'Web to Wall' Transition" being a focus item.

My brass is thinner in this region than I wanted, but I should be ok. Based on a few I cut up, most should be at least 0.020" where I am having to thin to 0.005" at the neck. If I had a heavier press I could be more aggressive with getting be brass swaged further down into the transition region.

rintinglen
12-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Fellows, when you get to where you are going, you'll be in a good spot.

Although my initial experiences with my Single 7 were less than good--it ended up going back to Ruger--these days it is one of my favorites. On a lark, I took some 32 ACP, 32 S&W Longs, 32 H&R, and 327 out to the range and had a fine time plinking away. Even the stubby 32 ACP cartridges with their 73 grain boolits grouped reasonably close to one another, though the .311 boolits in them left some leading for me to clean up when I got home. Just in case, I had started long with the 327 and went down according to length.
It is pretty neat being able to shoot pretty much any 32 ammo I can find, with the same gun.

P Flados
12-17-2016, 06:10 PM
I put together some photos today.

182949 182950

Chev. William
12-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Lovely Photos indeed.
The ones of the case forming and the cross sectioned one are very informative.

It appears Your are getting some Swaging at the Web to Wall Junction then Machining the Base down some to get it close to final dimensions before a final Sizing Pass that leaves a slight taper on the Base above the Rim. The cross section does show the difference in the swaged down Wall and the turned down Wall to web transition area.
Your .020" measured wall at the web to wall transition does sound adequate for Useful case life in my humble 'amateur' opinion.

My Swaging of .22 Hornet Brass measured .014" to .016" at the Base to web Transition area, with the wall Tapering down to .010" to .008" at the old shoulder and Mouth.
This was with my Swaging in one step from roughly .300" down to .280" diameter just above The rim and about .276" diameter on the body.

I have not sectioned any of the later, multiple swaging step, formed cases since my experiences seem to indicate adequate wall thicknesses are present.

I had also tried Swaging Brass tubing to make Adapters for .25 Cal Powder Actuated Tool Loads (PTL) to fit my ,25 Stevens chambers ( about .280 diameter at the rim) but have abandoned that approach due to the tubing expanding and releasing the PTL blank case upon firing, making the tube a bother to extract.

I also found that .27 Cal PTL, measuring .268" to .269" diameter, fired in my .25 Stevens chambers do Expand to seal the chamber and do propel a breech loaded bullet down range with plinking accuracy out to at least 100 yards from a 21" to 22" barrel (I have not tried longer ranges as my ankles do not like the Hiking over rough ground of my local Commercial Outdoor Shooting Range).

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
12-23-2016, 02:26 AM
I have Completed Swaging Down a 50 Case batch of Starline .32 S&W Long To make .32 Colt Long cases and turned the "roll of Displaced Brass" off just above The rim with a Yield of 100 percent using my "two Step Swaging Process.

I Also completed Swaging down a 50 Case batch of Starline .327 Federal to make .32 Colt Extra Long Cases and turned off the "roll of Displaced Brass" off Just above the Rim with a yield of 94 Percent (lost three to Bellow deformation due to pausing in the swaging process.

The turning was completed on my friends Lathe This Afternoon.

The Flash holes now need to be Checked and possibly opened and deburred but the Weather outside has been Wet Yesterday and Today so that will have to wait for A warm, dry, Afternoon.
The Two Case types come out 0.920" and 1.205" long respectively after my Process.
Trim Length Depends upon the Firearm intended to discharge them AND the Bullet they Are loaded With.
For .32 Long Colt with a 299153 Outside Lubed Bullet trim to about .740"
For .32 Long Colt with a 311090A inside Heel Lube grove I can get away with a trimmed length of .912" in my Stevens Rifles. The Main difference is that there is only one driving Band and The nose outside the case for the latter Bullet.

Nominal Trim Length for The .32 Colt Extra Long seems to be 1.150" but I presently don't remember What I measured my Rifle chamber at, I will need to get it out and remeasure before Trimming the ".32 CXL" parent cases.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
01-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Jan. 21st: little progress on gun Projects due to 'cold' and 'wet' weather here and installation of a Solar power system on my Home. It is a nominal 5KW peak output system and necessitated upgrade of my Power Service Panel and Power Drop to a 200Amp Service.

Currently waiting for my Power Company to come and install the New Drop from the Pole to my home, which should happen within five business Days.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: "5 business Days" became "3 to 6 weeks" when I called the Contractor again!
Oh well, At least the Installation is making power in the Interim.
Chev. William

Chev. William
02-14-2017, 03:24 PM
I am Still waiting for Ruger to Respond to my LGS about the Cylinder and for my Power company to Come by.
Today I got a call form a DWP inspector making an appointment to look at my Solar Installation today between 1000 and 1200.
Chev. William

Chev. William
03-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Still no Response from Ruger about my defective Stainless Steel Single Six Cylinder (22WMR).

I have since acquired Three more SS Cylinders and two Blue Steel Cylinders for this project in both .22WMR and .22LR.
My Gunsmith reported that he is having difficulties reaming the Blued Steel one he has as the Reamer Became Hard to turn part way down the individual chambers at about the same depth in the Process. This may either be a Problem with the reamer or of the Processed Cylinder Materials characteristics. He will be doing some investigation into what is happening as soon as his scheduled work allows.

This is Worrying news to me.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
04-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Wednesday, I got my Stainless Steel .32 Long Colt Six shot Cylinder Back from my gunsmith.
This is NOT the One The Shop is trying to get replaced by Ruger.
anyway, "Playing with it since, I have found that it has some "Rough" chambers in it, not all but some with dull rings near the front of the Individual chambers. Also my reformed cases seem tight in the new chambers so I am going to do some measuring to see if it is the Cases too Large or the chambers too Small.

Something to "Putter" on this weekend I am thinking.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
04-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Today I took my "32 Long Colt" cylinder, three more Stainless Steel and one Blued .22RF Cylinders along with my .32 H&R Mag. Ruger Single Six to my gunsmith to get the "New cylinders fitted to the Frame and the .32 L.C. chambers 'cleaned up' a little.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
05-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Today is May 1st, Now Proclaimed Loyalty day I understand.
I am "not so Patiently' waiting for my gunsmith to get all of my Candidate cylinders reworked to fit my Ruger .32 H&R Mag. Single Six Frame.

To me it appeared To be that the Distance from the Ratchet thrust surfaces to the Rear face of the .22LR used Cylinders was shorter than the frame equivalent dimension; and that the Overall cylinder ratchet thrust face to front of center bushing tip is longer than the Equivalent Frame dimension.

My thinking is that each .22RF cylinder needs a 'Skim Cut' on the rear face around the ratchet, over the Chamber rear faces, to get equal rear face clearance; then the center line overall length may need to be made a close fit to the Frame, with very small end clearance.

End clearance WILL be needed though to allow for Thermal Expansion of the cylinder materials, which is different for Stainless Steel and for Regular Alloy Steel.

Once these Operations are Done, the Candidate .22Rf cylinders can be re-cut to new chambers at a later time. once all the Used cylinders are Ready, the Revolver Barrel would then be Set back to match the modified .22RF cylinder length of cartridge Rim rear face to chamber Mouth length, and the existing .32 H&R Mag. Cylinder trimmed to match, so all would interchange easily and accurately.

My intent is to have a set of Stainless Steel Cylinders in various length of .32 COLT Cartridge diameters and a set of Blued Steel Cylinders in Various Length of .32 S&W Cartridge diameters.

Unfortunately, the Longest potential Cartridge, the .327 Fed. Mag. will NOT fit the modified Revolver if in Maximum Overall Cartridge Length condition, although a stubby 'Full Wad-Cutter' load may fit.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
05-20-2017, 06:01 PM
It seems May 1st has several "Celebrations" involved in it over the years. Some are apparently Good and some apparently Bad, depending on the Reviewers' Viewpoint or Political Orientation.

I choose to HONOR America, its Veterans both Living and Past, and our National Ensign along with those used in the Past.

The American Revolution was Fought under several unofficial ensigns, including the Gladstone Design of a Coiled Rattlesnake on a Yellow field, now some consider 'not PC'. Another Early flag had a Union design of the British Ensign and a Field of 13 Horizontal Stripes alternating red and White.

After the Articles of Confederation were adopted by the previous 13 colonies, a 13 Star and 13 stripe design was Adopted as the, Defacto, National Ensign.

then, after the Constitution was Adopted it was approved as the First Approved National Ensign with 13, 5 point, stars on a Blue field as the 'Union' in the Top "Hoist" corner with 13 Horizontal Stripes, alternating Red and White.

As the Nation grew, at first the National Ensign was modified by adding one Star and one Stripe for each new State admitted; but this soon became ungainly so it was redefined as having the original 13 stripes representing the Original 13 States, and a Pattern of five point White stars, representing the increasing number of admitted States, on a Union field of Blue.

The Flag, "Old Glory" that flew during the 1812-1814 war had the then current design and still exists in the preserved condition reflecting its condition after that war.

Chev. William

Thumbcocker
05-20-2017, 08:11 PM
A good sized chunk of "Old Glory" was cut off so a soldier could be buried in it.

Chev. William
05-22-2017, 10:04 AM
From Memory, I believe about Half of the 'Fly' of "Old Glory" was cut into small Pieces for 'souvenirs' before it was given to the Smithsonian for Preservation. The 'Union' also had at least one Star cut from it. It is now Sitched to a Supporting Cloth to hold the Remainder together for it is Weakened by Age and past Exposure to air and Light. and, like the original Declaration of Independence and Constitution, is displayed behind U.V. filtering Glass to extend it s 'life'.
Chev. William

Chev. William
06-13-2017, 09:30 PM
Bad news And good news:
1. Ruger replied to my LGS about the Bad Cylinder. They Refuse to Exchange it unless I send in a 'Single Six' to have the New cylinder fitted to.
A. My custom .25ACP CF 10-5.8" barreled "Single Eight" is NOT going Back to Ruger for them to return it to 'Stock RF ~6" barrel Single Six' before fitting a new cylinder.
B. My .32 H&R is not a Candidate for a replacement .22 WMR Stainless Steel either.

2. My gunsmith has been out on a Movie shoot the last two weeks and is planning another one the Next weekend then going in for Knee surgery on his other Knee, be out about Two months estimated.

3. My gunsmith has trimmed my Three good Stainless Steel .22 Cylinders, and one Blued Cylinder, to fit into the frame of my .32 H&R Magnum "Single Six".

He thinks he may be able to ream the Blue Cylinder to .312" through before He goes away this time.

4. So I have about Two months to get a Straight Cylinder Wall .32ACP reamer made. And Also to Think about Ordering some other Reamers for Revolver Cylinder chambers.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
07-14-2017, 08:20 AM
7-13-2017, one Month into the wait for my gunsmith to recover from his second Knee replacement surgery. The Waiting is tedious at best, but is required.

Another Wait is for a "Work Call" from my Union Dispatcher: NONE so far This Year.
My Finances Are Lean at this time!

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
09-03-2017, 01:46 PM
9-3-2017
Sunday of Labor day weekend is frustrating here as a Local Major Brush fire is Saturating the Air with Smoke and fly ash. This fire has been ongoing since Friday and now the inside of my home smells of Burning wood. Adding to the all around "Frustration" is we are having a "Tropical heat wave" of 100 Plus degree Days and about 80 Degree Nights along with Higher than Normal Humidity. I Bet the Firefighters Are Really 'Miserable' as they Need to wear Heavy Protective Clothing while Doing Very Hard Work in this heat and added Fire Radiation.

No Work on Projects after early AM hours at all. No Outside Work in Midday for me at all.
Little Inside work either as the house interior is running about 82 degrees WITH my Window A/C running. Just Sweat And bear it Time for Me.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
11-19-2017, 12:59 PM
As of Nov.18th, I Spent the Last Week Working on Clearing MALWARE out of my Home computer. Very Frustrating Work!

Also, I now have in my hands a Stainless Steel Used Ruger ".22 Win. Magnum" roll marked 6 shot cylinder that has been Reamed to take ".32 Colt (Long) Cartridges of .318" Diameters using a PT&G finish Chamber reamer.
The Chamber to chamber Web measure About .145" narrowest, and Chamber to outer surface about .072" narrowest. Some of the chambers show circumferential Tool Marks sadly, but it seems Typical of reaming hardened Stainless Steel With a HSS Alloy Reamer.
Chips Just don't seem to clear well Unless A Pressure Flooding of coolant is used in a Machine Reaming Process.

As the revolver is still with my gunsmith, who is fitting other used 6 shot cylinders to it, I have not fired Any cartridges through this Cylinder yet. He will also be reaming a Blued Steel Used Ruger 6-shot Cylinder to accept .32ACP semi-rimmed Cartridges for my revolver.

On a separate Note: My Niece and her Boyfriend have been Preparing and Painting my front Porch Railing And Front Porch Roof Post And Beam supports in semi-Gloss White Oil Based 'Rustoleum' paint as a November Kindness to me. I am hoping this Oil Based Paint will survive Longer than the Water Based Paint used by Former Painters. I know It probably will NOT last as long as the Original Lead Oxide Pigment Oil based Paint that was used back in 1955 and was replaced in 1980s by Non-Lead Pigments and Then by Water Based Paints in the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s by repeated House Painters. The Water Based Paints seem to have Short Weathering Life compared to the Older Oil Based Paints And Pigments. Perhaps this new coating, employing Titanium Oxide White pigment will Last longer.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
12-14-2017, 02:32 AM
Tuesday, December 12th, I authorized my gunsmith to set back the Barrel on my Ruger .32 H&R Mag. Single Six to fit the modified .22 Magnum Ruger cylinders I am having Reamed and rechambered in .32 Sizes, S&W diameter in Blued cylinders and Colt diameter in Stainless Steel cylinders. After changing the Barrel, he will trim the front of the .32H&R cylinder to fit my revised Barrel setting.

The whole Intent and purpose is to have a Test Revolver with Cylinders chambered for each length variation of these two families of cartridges.

I was not happy with firing short cartridges in the longer H&R chamber as it tends to cut rings in the chamber walls at the shorter Cartridge's mouth, making extraction of the longer cartridges more difficult over time and use.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
12-28-2017, 02:45 AM
Today, December 27th, my gunsmith showed me my Partially completed customized Ruger .32 H&R single six with its barrel and forcing cone set back to Fit the several used Ruger .22MAG cylinders front chamber face distance.

Also, the Original Ruger .32 H&R Mag cylinder front chamber face has been cut to fit the New forcing cone position in the frame.
Final adjustments to the front face will be made to get the desired <.003" gap.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

ADDED 2018MAR05: the cylinder to forcing cone gap is now .002" according to my gunsmith, Willie Clark. Chev. William

Chev. William
03-06-2018, 02:00 PM
I received from buffalo Arms a sample lot of 20 '.32 Long Colt' cases formed from Starline '.32 S&W Long cases. They Look very good and measure correctly per case drawing dimensions and a dial caliper.

I will Need to try them in my cylinder(s) when I get them back from my gunsmith.

Chev. William

Chev. William
04-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Still waiting, sigh.

Chev. William
08-10-2018, 08:45 AM
August 9th I received Back from my gunsmith, my Ruger .32 H&R Single Six Revolver Modified to allow interchangeable cylinders in Both .32 "S&W Family" diameters and .32 "Colt family" diameters.

He also hand me two modified cylinders; the first is my original .32 H&R cylinder shortened to fit the New Barrle Forcing cone position; and the Second is a Ruger Stainless Steel .22 MAG cylinder reworked to fit my modified Ruger frame and chambered in .32 Long Colt.

I have Three more fitted, but not bored, Stainless Steel .22 Mag cylinders for later making additional .32 Cylinders to work in my modified Revolver.

Now to Gather Materials to go for a Range session when the weather Moderates here.
Sadly, some of my Medications seem to make me sensitive to UV exposure now, and our Summer Sun raises rashes and bumps on my exposed skin.

Chev. William

BCB
08-18-2018, 04:01 PM
August 9th I received Back from my gunsmith, my Ruger .32 H&R Single Six Revolver Modified to allow interchangeable cylinders in Both .32 "S&W Family" diameters and .32 "Colt family" diameters.

He also hand me two modified cylinders; the first is my original .32 H&R cylinder shortened to fit the New Barrle Forcing cone position; and the Second is a Ruger Stainless Steel .22 MAG cylinder reworked to fit my modified Ruger frame and chambered in .32 Long Colt.

I have Three more fitted, but not bored, Stainless Steel .22 Mag cylinders for later making additional .32 Cylinders to work in my modified Revolver.

Now to Gather Materials to go for a Range session when the weather Moderates here.
Sadly, some of my Medications seem to make me sensitive to UV exposure now, and our Summer Sun raises rashes and bumps on my exposed skin.

Chev. William

What do I need to do to get a 32 H&R Single Six able to shoot the 32 Long Colt?...

Does the original 32 H&R cylinder need rechambered? Or do you have to start with a new cylinder?...

Thanks...BCB

Chev. William
08-19-2018, 04:55 PM
BCB,
If you read the thread, the Answers you seek are already Stated.
In summary:
1. Obtain a .22MAG Ruger 6-shot Cylinder.
2. Verify the .22MAG cylinder will fit your .32H&R Single Six Frame and will rotate smoothly (my .22MAG cylinders 'dragged on the recoil face so required a skim cut on the back chamber face).
3. Set back your .32 RugerBarrel to bring the Cylinder Chamber front face to Forcing cone clearance to about .003".
4. Machine/Ream the .22MAG chambers out to a .32 Colt Long dimensions *this is smaller diameter than .32H&R diameters).
5. Machine the Front chamber face of The.32 H&R cylinder to fit the Revised Frame and barrel/Forcing cone position to give about .003" clearance/gap.
6. Test fire both Cylinders all chambers with suitable factory loaded Ammunition to verify all Proper functions.
7. Enjoy your new Custom convertable Single six in .32 Caliber!

Chev. William

BCB
08-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info summery. It sure makes it easier to figure out. I did read the entire thread, but it did go off on some tangents and I got lost!!!...

Regardless, the 32 H&R cylinder must be shortened to work when the forcing cone is set back? (Likely goes without saying)

Did you ever shoot a 32 L.C. in the handgun (in the reamed 22 Magnum cylinder) without setting the forcing cone back? Would this be possible? Would accuracy be lousy?...

I guess I would like to take the “easy way out” if I would ever attempt such a project. It would be nice to let the handgun “stock” and still gain the benefit of shooting the 32 L.C. by just changing the cylinder…

Thanks…BCB

Chev. William
08-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info summery. It sure makes it easier to figure out. I did read the entire thread, but it did go off on some tangents and I got lost!!!...

Regardless, the 32 H&R cylinder must be shortened to work when the forcing cone is set back? (Likely goes without saying)

Did you ever shoot a 32 L.C. in the handgun (in the reamed 22 Magnum cylinder) without setting the forcing cone back? Would this be possible? Would accuracy be lousy?...

I guess I would like to take the “easy way out” if I would ever attempt such a project. It would be nice to let the handgun “stock” and still gain the benefit of shooting the 32 L.C. by just changing the cylinder…

Thanks…BCB

BCB,
Chuckling,
Yes, the .32 H&R cylinder did require the Chamber area to be shortened to match the rear of Ratchet to Front of Chamber measurement of the .22MAG cylinder.

No, I did NOT attempt to fire the .32 Colt Long cylinder before having the Barrel and Forcing Cone set back. The Gap was visually Excessive.

The Frame and Barrel of the .32H&R Ruger single Six by Machining a Completely custom Cylinder from Raw 4140 Alloy Steel Heat treated to at least Rc20 before Machining. My guess is this would require some custom Carbide tooling and a CNC Machining Center along with the Machining program/software to get repeatable results. Alternatively, a Very Good Journeyman Machinist and Job Shop with Suitable Financial incentives.

Enjoy,
Chev. William

BCB
08-23-2018, 07:54 AM
BCB,
Chuckling,
Yes, the .32 H&R cylinder did require the Chamber area to be shortened to match the rear of Ratchet to Front of Chamber measurement of the .22MAG cylinder.

No, I did NOT attempt to fire the .32 Colt Long cylinder before having the Barrel and Forcing Cone set back. The Gap was visually Excessive.

The Frame and Barrel of the .32H&R Ruger single Six by Machining a Completely custom Cylinder from Raw 4140 Alloy Steel Heat treated to at least Rc20 before Machining. My guess is this would require some custom Carbide tooling and a CNC Machining Center along with the Machining program/software to get repeatable results. Alternatively, a Very Good Journeyman Machinist and Job Shop with Suitable Financial incentives.

Enjoy,
Chev. William

O.K. Thanks...

Guess I will take this information to the 'smith I have had do some minor work for me and see if he might be interested in this project. I am pretty sure he is capable of doing it as he is a schooled 'smith and seems to have a good business...

Maybe he can give me an estimate as to cost and a timeframe. His turnover time is dang slow, so a project like this could take many months and maybe year!!!...

We shall see what we shall see...

Thanks...BCB

JoeJames
08-23-2018, 12:15 PM
P Flados,

racepres,

shoot-n-lead,

Best Regards,
Chev. WilliamJogged my memory ... Elmer Keith - Sixguns: "The 25 Stevens, now almost off the market, is a far better rim fire cartridge for small game hunting, and should be retained' ...'It is amply accurate, and has about twice the killing power of the .22 L.R."

Hickory
08-23-2018, 12:30 PM

At least they are spending their own money.
Be glad they weren't making solar panels when Obama was in office.

Chev. William
08-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Laughing!!!!
The 'Solar Power' activity is Still 'Alive and Well' in California as since I had a Solar Power Installation at my Home, LADWP declined to pay the expected reimbursement. Now I get about three 'cold calls' a day offering Local and State funding for Part of a Solar Power Installation on my home; they Hang up when I mention I already have solar panels installed.

I guess they think their 'con Job' is renewable repeatedly to the same marks.

Chev. William

Chev. William
09-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Little action on my .32 Ruger Project in the Last Month.
I did receive it back from my gunsmith with two modified cylinders:
1. Original .32H&R Mag cylinder shortened to match new set back Barrel.
2. Modified Ruger .22MAG cylinder that is now a .32 Colt Long cylinder.
I am supposed to go test fire these before my gunsmith will modify other cylinders in order to verify the head space is right for reliable use.
This is a result of experiences with my other Ruger Project revolver, a conversion to .25ACP from .22LR/.22MAG Single Six along with changing to 8-Shot cylinders.
Then on the first Saturday of September, I tripped and fell Forward and injured myself: abrasions on my right knee and both forearms, a sore left chest where my Glasses case and Cell phone were compressed into it, a cut upper lip, and a bloody nose plus damage to both pair of glasses on me at the time.
The Chest injury is taking almost the longest to heal, with the abrasions scabbed over and slowly healing running close to a tie. Sneezing or coughing is a real 'pain' still. I have been taking two Tynol(sp?) caplets each night to ease sleeping in spite of 'twinges'.

Then My Refrigerator Automatic Ice maker stopped working and a appliance repair person is supposed to come out this coming Thursday to see what is wrong, at $79 for the first Half Hour and more after that.
So no range time this month.
At least my gunsmith is making some Movie Money this month.

Chev. William

Chev. William
01-03-2019, 02:02 AM
December 27th I finally got out my .32 H&R Single Six to test fire.
Tried it with:
.32 ACP
.32 S&W
.32 S&W Long
.32 H&R Mag.
with no problems.
Noted that since all were being fired through the .32 H&R cylinder; the shorter cartridges 'spread' more than the Longer ones.
At 50 yards all cartridges did hit the 12" square Target paper, with the .32 H&R all in the 'Black' circle near the the center.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-09-2019, 03:45 PM
January, February, and the beginning of March have been Wet, Cold, and Windy here and I have only gone to my Local Commercial Outdoor Range twice so far.
Both trips were shivering cold with gusting wids and intermittent rain.
I did shoot my converted Ruger .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol, trying to set the Adjustable sight but finally just gave up an enjoyed using 'Kentucky windage' estimates to single shot 'plink' at my targets.

Overall the pistol 'patterned' fairly nicely with the majority of the Holes just to the Left and slightly low from the Central Orange Dot I used as a POI for my 6 o'clock sight hold, with other holes sprinkled of to the Left and down in a diagonal spray, probably due to my shivering.

I have now fired 200 rounds of Factory .25ACP through this pistol and have not recovered even ONE fired case! Where they are being thrown I have no Idea but they are not on the ground (paved) to the right anywhere I can see nor around to the rear all the way to a fence behind the range Benches.

It seems either I will be buying Brass to feed this pistol or I will need to build a Brass Catcher for it.
Neither thought is appealing due to the costs involved and portability concerns.

On the Main subject of this thread: as of Jan 1st California has 'outlawed' mail order ammunition Purchases. California also is now requiring NIC Background Checks for Each Ammo Purchase!
I have not been able to buy .32 Colt Family ammo locally but can buy .32S&W family readily enough with the added Surcharges. That is why I have not shot my .32 LC cylinder yet!

Price-wise, this is driving costs to about double for .25ACP and similar add-ons for other Factory Ammo. A box of .25ACP advertised on line for ~$14 costs ~$28 at my local gun shop after the added fees (I bought 6 boxes in that purchase).

Chev. William

Chev. William
07-13-2019, 11:33 PM
Mid 2019 and the California Background check to buy assembled Cartridges law is now in full effect with the added fees to raise the costs of shooting.

At least so far I can stil buy component parts to 'roll My own' cartridges although it is getting more difficult too; my Local Reloading Store has cut its open days to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only now.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-26-2020, 11:05 AM
Spring comes to California bringing rains and a Virus Pandemic Brouhaha that is 'screwing with my enjoyment of my Hobbies'!
First the Governor orders a State wide 'Shelter in Place' to 'enforce Social Distancing' which included ordering all restaurants to only allow takeout or delivered food services.
Then the Los Angeles County Sheriff ordered all gun shops to close as 'non-essential businesses'!
Followed by the City of Los Angeles Mayor ordering the Closures to be enforced by the district attorney and for LA-DWP to cut powr and water services to businesses that defy the Edicts!
Fighting these illegal edicts through the Courts will cost Much Money and Take years to resolve. In the mean time no ammo sales available to Law Abiding Citizens.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-30-2020, 07:07 PM
The Mayor an d
Sheriff backed off on their Closure orders as Gun Stores were declared 'E4ssential Businesses" by D.A., YEA!

Still no .32 Colt family ammo for sale locally (the only way to buy ammo in California now), however my gunsmith is going to look through his home storage and see if he has any empty .32 Colt Long cases to sell me.

Chev. William