PDA

View Full Version : Powder prices...

375supermag
10-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Hi...

I was in one of the larger gunshops in the area(southcentral Pa.) the other day comparing prices on rifles and stopped by to check on powder prices and availability.

The Alliant powders were in good supply if you wanted 1# or 8# canisters. Not much in the 4# size , though.
What got my attention was that Unique, Herco, Red Dot and Bullseye were in the $124.95 range each. No 2400 in the 8# canister...Blue Dot in 4# canister for $84.99. Just about all those powders available in 1# containers.

I read a lot of postings on forums about the great deals people are getting on-line with gun powder but when you factor in the shipping and Hazmat fee every place on line I check is considerably higher.

Has anybody seen a better deal on line than $124.95/8# canister of powder, considering there is no shipping or Hazmat fee at the local shop?

I am well-stocked with all of the above powders but am contemplating acquiring a few 8# canisters as a hedge against the inevitable restrictions that will occur if the Dems win control of the White House and Senate.

Greg S
10-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Buy it. In my neck of the woods it is unobtainium to hit or miss. The price looks good to me but then again, I had to mail order 10 1s last time to get me through.

dverna
10-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Yep, if you watch the sales and buy in quantity. My last purchase was Shooter's Choice for $15/lb delivered. I bought 30 lbs. I posted on this site when I found the deal.

Before that, I could have bought Titewad for $99 - 8 lb jug at the Ohio State Shoot. But I already had a lot of shotgun powder and passed on it. I did buy Unique for $110.

Occasionly internet sales will have reduced or no HazMat if you buy above a certain quantity. I do not sub-optimize my loads and have reduced the number of calibers I load for. I never buy 1 lb containers.

If if someone does not shoot a lot, organizing a group buy with buddies is an option.

Don Verna

kayala
10-14-2016, 10:59 AM
If I could have powder locally at those prices I'd buy. My LGS is very proud of their powder selection and they value it at $30+/lb. For me it's much cheaper to pay HazMat fee than buy locally.

Wheelgun
10-15-2016, 01:30 AM
Buy it. I'd love to find some Unique at those prices. Around here it's almost $30/lbs after tax, when you're able to find some. The last 8lbs jugs I've seen were at cabellas for $199.99 before tax. Haven't seen any 4pounders of anything in a while. Been using lots of TiteGroup as it can be found regularly for around $20/lbs after tax, Alliant stuff is still pretty scarce.

375supermag
10-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Hi...

FWIW...I went back to the LGS yesterday and picked up 8# of Unique and Bullseye and two 5# containers of Blue Dot as a hedge against any upcoming shortages.
The cost per pound of Unique and Bullseye comes out to right at $15.62/lb. Blue Dot works out to $17/lb.
Buying in bulk certainly lowers the cost per pound...avoiding shipping and Hazmat just makes the upfront expense a bit more palatable.

What I found interesting was that while the shop's website listed a 16lb per customer per day limit on powder if bought online, there were no such limits in place if you walked in the shop and bought it in person.

I explained to my son that any reloading that is done is to be out of the 1# canisters we already had on hand and that these larger containers are now taped shut as an emergency reserve. If possible, any 1# containers that get used up will be replaced with new 1# containers.

Once the sting of this little purchase lessens, I will most probably buy some 8# jugs of a few other handgun powders for just the same reasons.

JohnB
10-17-2016, 04:58 PM
You guys are so lucky............

I just had to pay $42.95 before 9% tax for IMR4895 in a 1 pound container and they acted like they were doing me a favor.
That's what it's like in the north Bay Area of San Francisco.

RU shooter
10-18-2016, 07:32 PM
You guys are so lucky............

I just had to pay $42.95 before 9% tax for IMR4895 in a 1 pound container and they acted like they were doing me a favor.
That's what it's like in the north Bay Area of San Francisco.

that there is just crazy ! My walmart sells it for 25 ,pistol powders for 20 bucks a lb

LAH
10-21-2016, 10:30 PM
What got my attention was that Unique, Herco, Red Dot and Bullseye were in the $124.95 range each.

If you can purchase it for that I'd be laying a bunch up.

LeftyDon
10-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Well if you are willing to walk on the wild side and try other brands of powder then you can get some great deals.Graf & Sons is offering Nobelsports Vectan powders in 1/2 Kilo bottles and if you purchase 10 bottles Vectan (mixed Vectan powders is okay) then they pick up the Hazmat PLUS you can add primers and other brands of powder (in stock) to your order up to an extra 32 lbs and still no hazmat fee. They have a Vectan load data list you can download and so you can find the powder(s) that fit you needs prior to purchase. Just remember that 1/2 kilo = about 1.1 lbs when figuring the cost per lb for these powders! I'm getting powder for shotgun reloading at about $15 - $16 per pound after figuring in shipping ($7.95 per order). Meters well and is clean burning too. Screw the sellers of Hodgdon etc. powders that think they can overcharge me! I've moved on.

Garyshome
10-22-2016, 12:26 PM
By the time all the ups and extras are factored in I am getting powder from powder valley for around $19.75/lb. to my door. Mostly Hodgdon pistol & rifle powder