PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
10-14-2016, 06:37 AM
And he said, "This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one." Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together.—Matthew 19:5–6 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=89aa2e4485&e=3dd732485b)We live in a culture that not only gives allowances for adultery, but in many ways encourages it. There are even websites to help people get away with being unfaithful to their spouse. But sexual immorality is a big deal to God.

When the Pharisees tried to test Jesus on the subject of divorce, one question they asked was, "Why did Moses say in the law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away?" (Matthew 19:7).

Jesus told them, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended. And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery—unless his wife has been unfaithful (verses 8–9).

An allowance is given for divorce, and it is sexual immorality. It violates the oneness between a husband and a wife. The apostle Paul said, "And don't you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, 'The two are united into one'" (1 Corinthians 6:16 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://3)).

Having said that, adultery is not only grounds for divorce, but it is also grounds for forgiveness. I have seen marriages survive it. I have seen marriages flourish in its aftermath. However, I am in no way rationalizing it. Adultery is never a good thing. Trust is broken, and it will take years to get it back. Adultery is very damaging, but a marriage can survive it.

If you are married, you may be tempted to violate your vows. But don't entertain those thoughts. Instead, with the power of God working in your life, make an effort to keep your marriage strong and to make your spouse your best friend

Preacher Jim
10-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Why I tell couple getting married move 500 miles from your parents and no contact for 2 years. Then you are depending and learning one another. Not room in a marriage for mother in laws when they start off.

Blackwater
10-14-2016, 10:35 AM
All one really needs to know about marriage and sexual fidelity. So many women out there now, to tempt a man, and they often do it so freely! But that doesn't change the facts, or excuse falling prey to it. I appreciate the comment that it CAN be overcome, and a marriage CAN heal and become what it was supposed to be in the first place, after an affair. But that's probably the hardest thing a couple could ever have before them to do, and not many make it. All of our lives are a constant string of choices for us to make, and we all err along the way, in various manners. But by Grace, we can be forgiven, toss the error aside, and continue on IF we follow the Lord's advice and counsel. Ain't it funny how that works so consistently?