PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi shotshell primers

Patrick L
06-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I have a really simple question about Fiocchi shotshell primers. Back in the late 80s, I loaded several thousand of them with excellent results. The one problem was that they were just a tad oversized, meaning that once you loaded a hull with the Fiocchi, the primer pocket was expanded out so that a standard american primer like a Winchester or CCI was then loose. Basically it was from that point on a Fiocchi only hull.

I have heard thru various discussions that Fiocchi has since standardized its dimensions so that this is no longer an issue. Does anyone know if this is true? I have the opportunity to buy Fiocchis at a very good price, but I don't want to run into that same situation.

Any help?

MT Gianni
06-08-2008, 05:18 PM
In the late 90's I ran through 2k small pistol primers with no problems.

runfiverun
06-08-2008, 10:18 PM
i know they were a bit larger but don't know about them now.
i always used them for my shoot and toss last load.
take your calipers with you and ask to measure some, just tell the salesman why you want to measure them.
he probably don't even know if they are larger or not.

shotman
06-09-2008, 07:29 AM
jump over to Trap shooters and ask think they are still larger rick

shotman
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM
i did and the 616 is the same not good for cold weather rick

fecmech
06-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I switched over to the Fiocchi primers last year and have had no problems. They are the same diameter (I miked them) as the Winchester 209's with one caveat. The the Win209 is a stepped primer in that for about half it's length it is a smaller diameter and the half closest to the cup is the same size as the Fiocchi. For some reloaders who load till shot starts to leak it may cause a problem cause if a Win209 follows a Fiocchi into a worn hull the Win primer is only going to be holding on by the last half of it's length. Nick