PDA

View Full Version : ? on lube grooves lee mould

radnur22
06-08-2008, 09:55 AM
i have a lee .452 200gr RF mould that has 2 grooves. is the top groove a crimping groove?

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/bullets/452200rf.gif

HeavyMetal
06-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Yes.

Anytime you have a question about a groove being crimp or lube look at it under a magnifying glass. A lube groove will be round or square, depending on the maker, but it will be uniform from edge to edge.

A crimp groove will be cut on an angle generally deeper towards the nose of the boolit.

However I have used both grooves to hold lube if I thought one was to shallow or not up to the task I was putting it to. This is in single shot stuff so I didn't need to crimp.

Rick N Bama
06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I have that mold & yes the top groove is for crimping, probably if it's used in the 45LC or other applications other than the 45ACP. The lube groove in mine only holds some .1gr of FWFL, but I have yet to experience any leading problems in my Dan Wesson 1911.

Rick

leftiye
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
In auto loading pistols all you have to crimp is to put the case mouth against the front wall of the groove (whatever type it may be). This will stop the boolits from pushing back inside the case. If you're shooting them in a revolteryou must crimp over the rear edge of the groove (whatever shape it is) to keep boolits from pulling out of the case under recoil.

DLCTEX
06-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I usually fill both grooves and crimp at the top of the crimp groove. It's probably a waste of lube though. DALE