PDA

View Full Version : Want to play the What'sit Game?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Here comes a long, boring, wet winter. Maybe a snowy and cold one where you live. So I got to thinking, "How could I liven up the forum a bit?" The result was the What'sit game.

I'll bet that every one of us has at least several odd items that you know what it is, but I or someone else might not. Also, many of the somewhat unusual items we might have may well be recognized by one generation of shooters, but not another, so there is a great possibility for education by visiting and posting on this thread. It has the potential to be a 100 pager with enough interest and participation.

Some ground rules? You can post a picture of any item or items related to any of the forum's sub-forums. A non-inclusive list would be casting, ammunition and reloading, firearms and accessories, etc. Even cooking and trapping. But you should state at the top of your post the category into which it falls, such as "Reloading." Please, no ringers like pieces of milking machines, carburetor parts, etc.--keep it forum related. Once you tease and tantalize us with your item(s) wait a couple of days to give time for some guesses, then revisit the thread and give us the answers. Example: Post #12 was a combination tool for an M14 rifle. You can post as many items as you want in as many different photos as you want, singly or several in the same picture, related to each other or not, just keep them related to our hobbies as listed by the various forum titles.

O.K., then, I'll go first: Military Rifles:

Everyone will recognize the items in this picture as clips, stripper and en-bloc. What rifles were they designed to fit?

click to enlarge

I'll be back with another photo tomorrow, and with the answers the day after. Your turn! :D

Ithaca Gunner
10-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Okay, I'll do what I can recognize easy.

Bottom right, 303 Enfield.

Above it, French Brethier. No I can't spell anything French.

Left, M-16.

Left of that, looks like Springfield clips for 1903.

The two on the bottom right look to be for loading M-1/2 Carbine magazines.

I know the top row are enbloc clips for various Mannlicher type rifles, but I can't name any specific.

Bloodman14
10-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Bottom right; Lee-Enfield clip.
Bottom row, 2nd from right; SKS clip.
Bottom left; M-16 magazine clip/guides (fits on back of magazine).
Top row, second from left; 8mm Lebel?

fatelk
10-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Top row: Carcano, Steyr M95, ?, '88 Mauser
middle: Mosin Nagant
Bottom: M1 carbine, '03 Springfield, '98 Mauser?, Mauser (looks Turkish), SKS (of course), French Berthier, and British Enfield.

fatelk
10-13-2016, 06:23 PM
What, no .45 auto clips? :)

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2016, 08:27 PM
fatelk--you're doing really, really well. Of course there is the one question mark, which someone else will probably answer, the '98 Mauser ?, which I will confirm is WW II '98 Mauser. You even called the Turk Mauser clips correctly. But we'll have to ding you on one thing, in addition to the question mark, which is that those things that go into the butt of a .45 auto are called "magazines." :) Man--if this thread takes off we're all going to learn so much! Now, there still is the matter of the question mark.......it's not as common.

Ithaca Gunner and Bloodman14, I know that you're feeling ripped off on the M16 strippers and guides, but actually they are for the M1/M2 Carbine and easy to mistake. To the best of my knowledge the M1 version didn't exist during WW II or the Korean War, and were probably developed after the M16 version. At any rate, I never ran across them before the early 1990s, and believe it was retro-engineering. Hard to tell from the photo, I know, because the M16 version would look very similar and it's difficult to judge size.
Click to enlarge.

fatelk
10-13-2016, 09:44 PM
those things that go into the butt of a .45 auto are called "magazines."

I thought I might get "corrected" on that one. :) Yes, I do have some .45 acp clips. I can't find them right now, but they look like this:
http://americanhandgunner.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1917-2a.jpg

I knew a guy years ago that kept some behind the counter at his gun shop, to confuse people when they came in looking for "a clip for my .45".

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Well--you got me there! Why didn't I think of that! I do have several versions of the clips, half-moons, full-moons, those that clip in and those that clip out. Nice going, fatelk.

O.K.--we'll be needing some other participation. Start getting your peculiar and unusual stuff together, take some photos and post! I'm anticipating guessing and learning.

DG

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-13-2016, 10:02 PM
it'll be tough to stump this crowd.

About 3 years ago, I bought a box of casting stuff at a gunshow, from a fellow that cast for 44-40 only.

Everything was easily identifiable, except a 8" solid steel rod that was hockey stick shaped.
I posted a photo of it, and a fellow member seen it and identified it and I guess it was a bit scarce and the aftermarket version of this item was not as long, so this older version was more desirable. This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item, which turned out to be a transmission shift lever for a VW bug.

runfiverun
10-13-2016, 10:06 PM
can I have the Lebel clip ??.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Yes, you may. PM your mailing address. It is a Berthier clip (8mm Lebel ammo), and I do have a Berthier rifle, but I have 4 more clips which should last me the rest of my life.

DG

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2016, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=JonB_in_Glencoe;3809904]it'll be tough to stump this crowd.
This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item, QUOTE]

Is this correct, a double barrel revolver? I've never seen one, and certainly that would be a good photo for you to post if you still have it. Or was it a revolver with two interchangeable barrels?

DG

fatelk
10-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Cool idea, by the way. I like it! Here are some photos.

The mystery round in the first two photos is next to a .50 BMG for comparison, but is not a .50 BMG. A hint is that my grandfather brought it home with him as a souvenir in 1945. The "headstamp" is also a bit of a giveaway too as to nationality.

The third photo is of a few more clips.

OS OK
10-14-2016, 12:04 AM
Before this gets too involved can I suggest that we put a ruler in each photo...or something that everyone would recognize for a size scale?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 12:48 AM
Wow! No wonder you know your stripper clips!

First photo, the mystery cartridge, since it came home from the war I'm thinking about one of the Mauser anti-tank rifles that date clear back to
WW I. But I can't read the headstamp--so that's a guess. The third photo, can't miss the Swiss M1911 stripper for 7.5mm Swiss, over an 1890 Steyr-Mannlicher clip which preceded the 1895 version. To the left of the Swiss clip might be two 7.63mm Broomhandle Mauser pistol clips, but I'm uncertain, they might also be for a Steyr-Hahn. To the left of them, second from right, I'd say 98 Mauser strippers, and to the left of that, first in the top row, again Mauser but for a cartridge with a large rim--maybe a Siamese Mauser. Below that, bottom row, the first ones again look a lot like Mauser clips but exactly for what I do not know, and the last, lower right, I haven't a clue.

Photo no. 2, the loaded ammo, at the top a Hotchkiss strip, cartridges appear rimmed, so I'm guessing 8mm Lebel. 5 rounds in a brass clip, probably 8x57mm Turk, although I've seen much more of it with silver colored jackets--but some guilding metal. To its immediate left, the long straight stripper with .22 cal. bullets and steel cases, I'm thinking Russian 5.45x39mm? Below that, .303 British in the telltale stripper with the holes in it. The black pistol-size cartridges with blue ring--I'm clueless. What are they retained in? Below them an Gew '88 clip with cartridges,
lying on top of what is probably 5.56mm ammo. A loaded 6.5mm Carcano clip lying on top of and next to loaded 7.62x54mm clips. Next to that is a 5 rd. brass stripper clip of 6.5mm ammo (?), but I'm not sure of what persuasion. Maybe Swede, but unlike any I've seen, so a wild guess would be WW II Japanese. Below that an 1895 Steyr-Mannlicher clip that appears to be loaded with cast boolits. Three M1 Garand en-bloc clips, two loaded with ball ammo and one with AP. In the center of the three M1 clips is an SKS clip of 7.62x39mm. Beneath the middle M1 clip and just to its left are what I believe to be wooden bulleted training ammo, probably 8.x57mm, but I've never seen it before. To the left of that, two .45 ACP half-moon clips with vintage ammo, and another stripper clip of 5.56mm. Whew! Well, I know I got most of them, am unsure of a couple of them, am probably wrong on at least two, and about the black tipped pistol ammo--I just flat don't know. Oh, almost overlooked the most obvious, the linked .50 Cal. MG ammo. Can't remember what the silver tip means. Black is AP, Red is tracer, Silver is......? I'm sure someone else, maybe Outpost75 will score 100% on this one.

Down to the 3rd photo, magazines. Right off, top left, I think I'm looking at a Glock mag. For which model I couldn't say. The next one, to the right, I'm almost ready to cry "foul" on, because there are just so many double stack mags of that pattern that look almost identical. I'll just hazard a guess at a CZ-75, but it could be any of at least a dozen models. Looks like two 1911 mags, one a WW I vintage with a lanyard ring on the base, one sitting on top of an AR-15/M16 mag. Below that appears to be an M1934 Beretta mag. and a Browning Buckmark mag. sitting on a submachine gun mag which is maybe for a Thompson. Not really sure, as I once owned a Reising, and the mags were similar. Below that a Mini-14 mag. Two 15-rd. M1 Carbine mags, one with a dust cover, in pouch. Below that--you've got me again--a BAR mag.? I'd never guess the little mag on top of it, might be .25 ACP for any of a hundred pistols. Below that, bottom right, an HK G93 mag. with a 30 round M1 carbine mag. The large one to the left of the M1 Carbine mag with the worn finish might be for an FN-FAL. The one on to of it with the groove and two holes looks a lot like an ARMSCORP .22 mag. (TP-22), but I'm probably wrong on that. Below it is a 10 rd. AK mag., to its left a Ruger 10/22 mag but possibly an aftermarket version by another maker than Ruger,l as is the banana clip above it and lying beneath a 30 rd. AK mag. Now I'm getting really shaky, and I'm not sure what is beneath the AK mag., or what the pistol mag. lying on top of it is for. Saving the worst for the last, now having come full circle to the square rifle mag. beneath the 1911 mag. with the lanyard ring, you've got me. It can't be for a .303 Lee Enfield because the bottom doesn't angle up enough. Possibly for the Indian .303 version, but also looks a lot like the French M-56 type of mag., but they have a side catch. I'm going to guess Indian .308, but never have owned one and am probably wrong! fatelk--you need to have a yard sale!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 12:59 AM
On the other hand, that very last mag. looks more like one of the FN-49 family.

fatelk
10-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Oops, sorry. I think I accidentally deleted the post with a couple photos. Here they are again, clips and magazines:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/fatelk/clips003_zps6ca46feb.jpg (http://s298.photobucket.com/user/fatelk/media/clips003_zps6ca46feb.jpg.html)

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/fatelk/clips004_zpsfa912ec4.jpg (http://s298.photobucket.com/user/fatelk/media/clips004_zpsfa912ec4.jpg.html)

Artful
10-14-2016, 01:25 AM
Is this correct, a double barrel revolver? I've never seen one, and certainly that would be a good photo for you to post if you still have it. Or was it a revolver with two interchangeable barrels?

Really , lots out there most famous right now is the LeMat style on Westworld HBO series
https://www.full30.com/cdn/videos/forgottenweapons/5f4c15bef2c3e409e514f66054ada796/thumbnails/320x180_default.jpg
Original was 41 cal w/ 18 gauge center barrel Percussion used in the US civil war.
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/9919214713/8552551/47a58cbcbf10735e7e06af3e64f97c24.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QIvy3T8kg

Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen double-barrel revolver was a type of revolver with two stacked barrels and two concentric sets of chambers,
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c5/7a/1d/c57a1dd1af41c05fc1a9458cb80d590b.jpg

Osgood Two-Barrel Revolver
http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/309/hand/pix/osgoodl.jpg

Triple barrel spanish 6.35 ACP revovler
http://www.horstheld.com/0-Spain.htm
http://www.horstheld.com/conc-d.JPG
http://www.horstheld.com/conc-h.JPG

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 01:30 AM
Before this gets too involved can I suggest that we put a ruler in each photo...or something that everyone would recognize for a size scale?

Not a bad idea, especially when so many items are shown. Perhaps numbers on the items would help also. Come on now, OS OK, don't leave me hanging out here. Take a guess at some of this stuff..........!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 01:39 AM
Really , lots out there most famous right now is the LeMat style on Westworld HBO series
42 cal w/ 18 gauge center barrel Percussion used in the US civil war.
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/9919214713/8552551/47a58cbcbf10735e7e06af3e64f97c24.jpg

Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen double-barrel revolver was a type of revolver with two stacked barrels and two concentric sets of chambers,
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c5/7a/1d/c57a1dd1af41c05fc1a9458cb80d590b.jpg

Osgood Two-Barrel Revolver
http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/309/hand/pix/osgoodl.jpg

Well now I did know about the LeMat, and have seen the replicas, but would have some trouble fitting that into the definition of a two barreled revolver as the 2nd barrel is a shotgun barrel and a one shot proposition. I'd be more prone to define it as a revolver with a shotgun barrel.

I've never seen the Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen before--looks like a real handful. Bet it was heavy when loaded. Judging by the rings around the chamber mouths it looks like the thing was actually fired.

The third one, the Osgood, is interesting. Doesn't appear to be very large. Did it have two rows of cylinder chambers like the Henrion? Looks like a small caliber, maybe a .22?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 01:48 AM
Now comes one with three barrels no less! But only two rows of holes in the cylinder. Wonder how that worked? Must have died an early death due to impracticality. Would need a really fat holster. And then, along came Gaston Glock and compacted it all in a different design.

fatelk
10-14-2016, 01:55 AM
You are good! A lot of these aren't really fair; they're pretty obscure and especially hard to ID from the photos.

Wow! No wonder you know your stripper clips!

First photo, the mystery cartridge, since it came home from the war I'm thinking about one of the Mauser anti-tank rifles that date clear back to
WW I. But I can't read the headstamp--so that's a guess. Sorry, no

The third photo, can't miss the Swiss M1911 stripper for 7.5mm Swiss Yup, over an 1890 Steyr-Mannlicher clip which preceded the 1895 version Yup. To the left of the Swiss clip might be two 7.63mm Broomhandle Mauser pistol clips Yup, but I'm uncertain, they might also be for a Steyr-Hahn. To the left of them, second from right, I'd say 98 Mauser strippers Sorry, no, and to the left of that, first in the top row, again Mauser but for a cartridge with a large rim--maybe a Siamese Mauser No. Below that, bottom row, the first ones again look a lot like Mauser clips No but exactly for what I do not know, and the last, lower right, I haven't a clue.

Photo no. 2, the loaded ammo, at the top a Hotchkiss strip, cartridges appear rimmed, so I'm guessing 8mm Lebel Yes. 5 rounds in a brass clip, probably 8x57mm Turk No, although I've seen much more of it with silver colored jackets--but some guilding metal. To its immediate left, the long straight stripper with .22 cal. bullets and steel cases, I'm thinking Russian 5.45x39mm? Yes! Below that, .303 British in the telltale stripper with the holes in it Of course. The black pistol-size cartridges with blue ring--I'm clueless. What are they retained in? it's a real military issue 36 round stripper clip, think Scandinavian, Below them an Gew '88 clip with cartridges yes,
lying on top of what is probably 5.56mm ammo yes. A loaded 6.5mm Carcano clip yes lying on top of and next to loaded 7.62x54mm clips yup. Next to that is a 5 rd. brass stripper clip of 6.5mm ammo (?), but I'm not sure of what persuasion. Maybe Swede, but unlike any I've seen, so a wild guess would be WW II Japanese YES!. Below that an 1895 Steyr-Mannlicher clip that appears to be loaded with cast boolits yes. Three M1 Garand en-bloc clips, two loaded with ball ammo and one with AP of course. In the center of the three M1 clips is an SKS clip of 7.62x39mm yes. Beneath the middle M1 clip and just to its left are what I believe to be wooden bulleted training ammo, probably 8.x57mm, but I've never seen it before no, hint- it's USGI but not '06, and not wooden bullets. To the left of that, two .45 ACP half-moon clips with vintage ammo, and another stripper clip of 5.56mm yes and yes. Whew! Well, I know I got most of them, am unsure of a couple of them, am probably wrong on at least two, and about the black tipped pistol ammo--I just flat don't know. Oh, almost overlooked the most obvious, the linked .50 Cal. MG ammo. Can't remember what the silver tip means. Black is AP, Red is tracer, Silver is......? I'm sure someone else, maybe Outpost75 will score 100% on this one.

Down to the 3rd photo, magazines. Right off, top left, I think I'm looking at a Glock mag yes. For which model I couldn't say. The next one, to the right, I'm almost ready to cry "foul" on, because there are just so many double stack mags of that pattern that look almost identical. I'll just hazard a guess at a CZ-75, but it could be any of at least a dozen models. I honestly don't remember, the photo is a couple years old. It was either a CZ75 or a BHP as I recall, but yeah they do all look alike
Looks like two 1911 mags, one a WW I vintage with a lanyard ring on the base no, one sitting on top of an AR-15/M16 mag yes. Below that appears to be an M1934 Beretta mag no. and a Browning Buckmark mag no. sitting on a submachine gun mag which is maybe for a Thompson no. Not really sure, as I once owned a Reising, and the mags were similar. Below that a Mini-14 mag yes. Two 15-rd. M1 Carbine mags, one with a dust cover, in pouch of course. Below that--you've got me again--a BAR mag.? YUP I'd never guess the little mag on top of it, might be .25 ACP for any of a hundred pistols yep, a very old one. Below that, bottom right, an HK G93 mag. with a 30 round M1 carbine mag yes and yes. The large one to the left of the M1 Carbine mag with the worn finish might be for an FN-FAL. almost but not quite The one on to of it with the groove and two holes looks a lot like an ARMSCORP .22 mag. (TP-22), but I'm probably wrong on that. close, kind of Below it is a 10 rd. AK mag. yup, to its left a Ruger 10/22 mag yes but possibly an aftermarket version by another maker than Ruger,l as is the banana clip above it nope, not 10/22 and lying beneath a 30 rd. AK mag yes. Now I'm getting really shaky, and I'm not sure what is beneath the AK mag., or what the pistol mag. lying on top of it is for. Saving the worst for the last, now having come full circle to the square rifle mag. beneath the 1911 mag. with the lanyard ring, you've got me. It can't be for a .303 Lee Enfield because the bottom doesn't angle up enough. Possibly for the Indian .303 version, but also looks a lot like the French M-56 type of mag., but they have a side catch. I'm going to guess Indian .308, but never have owned one and am probably wrong! fatelk--you need to have a yard sale!

On the other hand, that very last mag. looks more like one of the FN-49 family. nailed it!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 02:11 AM
Well, I'm going to turn in for tonight and lick my wounds. This is starting off great, and I thank those who have participated. I'm already learning a lot, and can't wait until the answers are posted. I'll be back tomorrow with another photo, different category.:coffeecom

OS OK
10-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Not a bad idea, especially when so many items are shown. Perhaps numbers on the items would help also. Come on now, OS OK, don't leave me hanging out here. Take a guess at some of this stuff..........!

This is fun, you had a real brainstorm with this! So far I'm mystified at all the things posted...look at those multi barreled revolvers...holy cow, I've been leading a sheltered life...

Outpost75
10-14-2016, 11:57 AM
OK I'll post one of my Italian shooting buddies with a favorite whatzizt?:

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 12:09 PM
That is really in nice condition. I do know the answer, unless it's some very unusual variation, but I'll wait for someone else to answer up. Can't have all the fun myself! It's the one lying on the bench that I'm unsure about.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 12:26 PM
This falls in the category of: Reloading Tools

I know lots of old timers will immediately recognize this tool, so I'm aiming it at the younger guys who may never have seen one. Very honestly, I never saw one until about 5 years ago, and I'll be 74 next month. I started reloading in 1966 with a Lee Loader in .38 Special, then moved up to a bench mounted Lyman Spartan, then a pair of RCBS Rockchuckers, on to a Lee Turret, etc., so I was never exposed to anything that came before my entry into the hobby. Then I got interested in the Lyman 310 tools and dies and started doing searches on e-bay for Lyman Reloading, and this item came up. I knew I had to have it...... Following the purchase I had to find out what it was for. I have used it, and it works just fine. So the question to you younger guys is: What is it, and briefly, how does it operate? The underlying lesson here is that the old technologies made obsolete by design advances will still work as intended.

Click to enlarge.

Ithaca Gunner
10-14-2016, 12:47 PM
OK I'll post one of my Italian shooting buddies with a favorite whatzizt?:

French Berthier Model 1916 Carbine.

montana_charlie
10-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Now comes one with three barrels no less! But only two rows of holes in the cylinder. Wonder how that worked? Must have died an early death due to impracticality.
Look again.
When two chambers in the outer ring line up with the two side-by-side barrels, there is a single chamber in the inner ring that is lined up with the under barrel.

Look at the cylinder and you will see the chambers are arranged in groups of threes ... all the way around.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Charlie, you old cowpuncher, somehow I just can't envision you riding the range in Montana with one of these three barreled shooters strapped on each hip! Joking aside, so what did/does this thing do? Fire the top two at the same time, then the bottom one, or all three at once (man--wouldn't that be an experience!) or is there some sort of selector mechanism. Anyway, you can have the one reserved for me. I'll just have to stick with one of these.
Click to enlarge.

fred2892
10-14-2016, 04:13 PM
That is really in nice condition. I do know the answer, unless it's some very unusual variation, but I'll wait for someone else to answer up. Can't have all the fun myself! It's the one lying on the bench that I'm unsure about.
Hard to tell with the picture quality, but the one on the bench looks to be a swiss martini to me. Similar to the one below.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/6722bb66d380d24c81b9be151c1b3f80.jpg
Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Outpost75
10-14-2016, 08:21 PM
French Berthier Model 1916 Carbine.

Give this man a cigar, preferably a Cuban Cohiba Churchill, now that they are legal again!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-14-2016, 08:29 PM
The official answers to Post #1, stripper and en-bloc clips, left to right, top to bottom:

Italian Carcano for either the 6.5mm or 7.35mm. // 1895 Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher 8x56Rmm. // 1895 Dutch Mannlicher 6.5mm.* // German 1888 Commission Rifle (Gew 88) 8x57mm. // 1891 Mosin-Nagant and variations 7.62x54mm // U.S. .30 M1/M2 Carbine mag. loaders and stripper clips // U.S. .30 cal. (.30-06) for M1903 and M1917 rifles.** // German WW II strippers for 1898 Mauser and variants 8x57mm. // Turkish 8x57mm strippers.*** // SKS 10 rd. stripper for Russian, Chinese, and other variations. // French Berthier 8mm Lebel. // British .303 stripper clip.

* The Dutch 1895 and the Romanian 1893 Mannlicher rifles were extremely similar and although this clip is Dutch there is a possibility that they would interchange. (I don't know.)

** Whereas most Mauser stripper clips can be reused many times the U.S. version is quite different in construction. Not only is the internal flat spring made differently, but each end of the stripper has little metal tabs that fold over the end cartridge's rim to hold them in place in the clip. The clip can be inserted in the rifle with either side up, and the downward push of the cartridges into the rifle's magazine overcomes the little tab and it usually breaks off. If, when rarely it doesn't break off, when one attempts to reload the clip and to once again bend the tab back into place it usually breaks then. Without the tabs the cartridges are usually unsatisfactorily loose in the clip and they're not of much use after the initial loading.

*** The Turkish clips are thinner front to back than the German clips, but will work satisfactorily in most Mauser rifles.

fatelk
10-14-2016, 08:53 PM
OK, IDs for my photos in post #13:
The empty round next to the .50BMG is a 13.2mm Japanese Hotchkiss machine gun round. My grandfather brought it back from Japan after the war. I wish I had thought to ask him particulars of where he picked it up. It's almost identical to the 50BMG.

The stripper clips below it are, from top left: Japanese Arisaka (pair), VZ52 7.62x45 (pair), Broomhandle Mauser (pair), 7.5 Swiss.
Bottom row: M14, 1890 Steyr-Mannlicher, and AK74 5.45mm. That last one is a really well designed clip. They hold 15 rounds each, and they're positively locked in until the clip is inserted into the guide, which then pushes the tab out to release the rounds.

fatelk
10-14-2016, 09:34 PM
For the IDs of what's in the photos in post #17, just the ones that Der Gebirgsjager didn't get:
The pistol round with black bullets with blue rings is Swedish training ammo, on a 36 round stripper, meant for the Swedish K SMG with a special tapered barrel made to shoot it. Never shoot it out of a regular barrel, unless you want dents in your rifling from the steel BB in the tip of the plastic bullet.

The 5-rnd clip just below the Hotchkiss strip is 7.7 Arisaka.

The silver rounds that look like they have wooden bullets, towards the bottom, are 30-03 Springfield blanks. The "bullets" are wax paper filled with powder, or so I was told.

The belt of .50s is USGI API from WWII.

The magazines in the last photo: The pistol mag with a lanyard ring on the top left is for a Yugoslavian M57 7.62x25.

The pistol magazine with the copper-wash ammo in it is for an East German Makarov. To the right of it is one for a Ruger MkII. The SMG mag they are sitting on is for a Sten.

The magazine that looks like an FAL mag is actually for an L1A1 (same gun, kind of). The .22lr mag on top of it is for an H&R Leatherneck. The plastic "banana clip" under the AK magazine is a Ram-Line for a Marlin Papoose, I think. The big mag underneath the AK mag is for a BREN, and the pistol mag on it is for a 1907 Savage.

I know, I have way too much junk. Some days I really feel like lightening the load and getting rid of 80% of my stuff. I've been worried lately about possible having to move again for work, and that's a massive headache when you have tons of junk.

runfiverun
10-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Giorgio....:lol:

Gebirgsjager:
give me a couple of day's for that PM.
I'm just blowing through before bed time and have limited computer time for a bit.
we are in the middle of our deer hunt, so nights are short and legs are whooped.

fred2892
10-15-2016, 04:23 AM
The reloading tool. Shotgun cartridge capper/decapper?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-15-2016, 10:46 AM
This falls in the category of: Reloading Tools

Click to enlarge.

Fred--you're correct! Can you give a brief description of how it operates?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Today's offering will probably have to go into the category of Military Rifles, as it's closely related, but I see no separate place for knives/bayonets.
Obviously, these are bayonets:

Click to enlarge.

Upon close examination you will observe that they all bear similarities, but few are exactly the same.

Question #1 is: What kind of bayonets (nationality) are they?

Question #2 is: Why are they different, one from another?

Question #3 is: First photo, left hand row top to bottom, third bayonet down, what can you tell me about it? It is the only one like it in the group.
A close up is provided to help you identify it. What is it doing here--what is it's likely origin to be in this group?

Question #4 is: In the first photo, second column top to bottom, third down is another one-of-a-kind. It has an unusual locking mechanism. Can you identify what rifle it was originally intended for? (hard one!)

Had to come back and add the information, just as a point of pride, that the lighting may make some of the blades appear rusty--but they're not!

montana_charlie
10-15-2016, 12:30 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=178753&d=1476462373&thumb=1

Fred--you're correct! Can you give a brief description of how it operates?
The answer appears quite simple.
Position the triangular plate over the inverted shotgun shell with the 'hole' aligned and you will decap the shell.
Swing the plate 330 degrees and raise the shell against the 'flat' to seat the new primer.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Another correct answer! Who says country boys ain't smart! One thing--the spindle in the center pulls out of the base and inverts presenting a primer knock out pin on the other end. After one pushes out the old primer then you invert it again as shown in the photo to seat the new primer. Although I can successfully do 12 Ga. shells on this apparatus, it is a 16 Ga. Not that I use it on a regular basis.....

So now I guess you're going to tell me about the bayonets? Aren't you about due to post a curiosity of your own? Hey--did you get one of those 18 shot 3-barrelled revolvers yet?

Artful
10-15-2016, 02:21 PM
http://www.range365.com/sites/range365.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/djy3085-z-f2-h.jpg?itok=cuMYG8tP

2)
http://s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/6/3/121163.jpg?v=2

3)
http://s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/5/0/121150.jpg?v=1
Yes it's a cane and so much more

4)
http://s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/5/1/121151_v1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq-NZ9RNIu8

5)
http://www.range365.com/sites/range365.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/lot819.jpeg?itok=zItf1oS9

6)
http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/unusualdarick7.jpg
and I'll even give a hint
http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/unusualtrounds3.jpg

And a bonus just for fun
http://www.higherground4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5467

montana_charlie
10-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Who says country boys ain't smart!

So now I guess you're going to tell me about the bayonets?
Nope. I'm not an historian nor a musem curator.
I understand the evolution of the knife about as well as anybody, so the existence of the 'bayonet' is not surprising. But I have no interest in knowing details about the many variations.

As for being able to discern how things work, that is just from having a modicum of mechanical aptitude ... a necessity for 'country boys'.
Have you ever watched a hay baler work? It was a country boy who figured out how to make that whiz-bang do it's job.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Yup--well, I'm kind of a country boy myself. Grew up where the nearest neighbor was 4 miles in one direction, 1 mile in the other, nearest town of 250 pop. was 9 miles, 35 miles to the larger town where we shopped once a month. My dad had a cattle ranch, and I was intimately familiar with hay. And balers. Then I was forced to live in civilization until I retired the first time and moved to where there were supposedly 500 people in the entire area, and the "town" was 3 miles away and had one café, two mom & pop stores, a school and that was about it. 28 miles to a big town. So I've been there and done that. Now, after retiring yet again, I'm forced to live on the edge of the country, but hoping to regress. Yes, lots of geniuses came from humble origins, but I'm not one. I do enjoy history, but am not a curator--just acquired some peculiar items along life's journey. But pretty soon I'll run out of things to post, and if some others don't join in things will grind to a halt.

fatelk
10-15-2016, 05:30 PM
You got me on the bayonets. I have a few of them, but don't really know a lot of the finer details about them. I'll try to post something else when I get time.

fred2892
10-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Another correct answer! Who says country boys ain't smart! One thing--the spindle in the center pulls out of the base and inverts presenting a primer knock out pin on the other end. After one pushes out the old primer then you invert it again as shown in the photo to seat the new primer. Although I can successfully do 12 Ga. shells on this apparatus, it is a 16 Ga. Not that I use it on a regular basis.....

So now I guess you're going to tell me about the bayonets? Aren't you about due to post a curiosity of your own? Hey--did you get one of those 18 shot 3-barrelled revolvers yet?
I have never seen one before. The capping part was obvious, but I hadnt worked out the decapping part. I presume the knurled knob is what secures the reversible pin?
Im guessing Spanish mauser bayonets, shot in the dark though.

fred2892
10-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Post #42
I have seen harmonica and ducks foot pistols at the Royal Armouries Museum and various cane weaponry comes up regularly at the local auction. French 'Apache' knucleduster knife pistol combo. Brass and steel versions usually in 7mm pinfire. Pen gun in.22. I even have a tround lurking in a box somewhere but the last picture has me at a loss.

Artful
10-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Very good on the Harmonica and Ducks foot pistols.

As an aside Jonathan Browning (JMB's father) was known for
constructing and arming the mormon chruch members with Harmonica rifles and pistols, after attacked in Illinois by their neighbors before the long walk to Utah.

The cane may need to have a closer look because while it is
a cane, and a sword it is also a single shot firearm.

#4 is knuckle duster is also a multi use weapon.

#5 is a single shot "pen" gun that because it has to be "bent" is
not classified as a "NFA" item so requires no special registration or tax.

#6 The Dardick revolver was made a little too easy by showing the special Trounds that feed up to the magazine to the cylinder.

and the Bonus, pure Hollywood fantasy
The Handgun Deckard used in the Movie Blade Runner a prop PKD Blaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUULvPJTgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiJkdL5QEQ

fred2892
10-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Apologies, I was editing my post to include the apache and pen pistols at the same time you posted the above.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-15-2016, 08:44 PM
it'll be tough to stump this crowd...

...This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item,

DG

The double barrel is one piece of steel and it revolves (by hand) on the pistol frame

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/twisterfire_zpsccbefc4a.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/twisterfire_zpsccbefc4a.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/twisterquartertwisted_zps717757ca.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/twisterquartertwisted_zps717757ca.jpg.html)

Der Gebirgsjager
10-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Pretty neat, Jon. I like it. Any more info on it like caliber?

Artful
10-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Looks like a rimfire cartridge? 32 RF by chance?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-16-2016, 12:56 AM
I have never seen one before. The capping part was obvious, but I hadnt worked out the decapping part. I presume the knurled knob is what secures the reversible pin?
Im guessing Spanish mauser bayonets, shot in the dark though.

Yes on the knurled knob. No on the Spanish origin of the bayonets. I'll let that ride another day before I answer the questions, because like Jon said, it should be hard to stump this group. The right guys just haven't viewed the thread yet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Pretty neat, Jon. I like it. Any more info on it like caliber?

Looks like a rimfire cartridge? 32 RF by chance?

Gee you fellas must not be readin'
I posted this twice in this thread :razz:
I assume it takes a .350 patched RB, but I haven't pushed one in yet?

it'll be tough to stump this crowd...

...This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item,

Der Gebirgsjager
10-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Guilty, Jon, I plead guilty. You did say it was about a .350. But it sure looks like a cartridge pistol. How does it work? I assume it uses percussion caps? More photos would be nice, especially of the rear of the barrels and hammer area. It certainly is an unusual item.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-16-2016, 06:05 PM
I guess it's time to answer the bayonet questions from Post #39. I'm really surprised that it hasn't been done, because I personally know of at least two individuals on the forum that could do so. I guess the thread just hasn't caught their interest. O.K.--here goes....

Question #1: What kind of bayonets (nationality) are they? Most recently, Turkish, although their origins are of several different nationalities.

Question #2: Why are they different, one from another? In the 1930s the Turks decided to standardize their rifle and bayonets in as much as possible to one pattern. Over the 19th and 20th centuries they used many weapons, mostly of foreign manufacture, and often ordered bayonets with the rifles. The weapons and models used are almost too numerous to list here, but included vast numbers of 1893 Mausers in 7.65mm and 1898 Mausers in 8x57mm given as war aid by their German allies in WW I. They standardized on the 8mm cartridge and designed their own M1936 Mauser, very common in the U.S. today as huge numbers were imported as surplus around the year 2000. Interestingly, rather than using the 1898's bayonet lug attachment design they chose to use that of the 1893 Mauser. This may have been because they utilized that part from the 1893 on their 1936 model, I don't know for certain, but the parts are identical. So they took their vast accumulation of bayonets and adapted them to fit the 1893 type bayonet lug. About all that was involved in this was to remove the original cross piece and solder on a new one with the proper spacing, also taking into account the distance from the muzzle mounting to the bayonet lug. The blades were cut and ground to a uniform length and repointed as necessary. The first two specimens on the left in the first photo have steel handles and are "ersatz" bayonets originating in Germany in WW I and issued with both the Gew '88 and '98 rifles as a substitute standard. Many of the others are dissimilar one to another in close up detail, reflecting their different origins, but now all standardized to fit the one model rifle.

Question #3: First photo, left hand row top to bottom, third bayonet down, what can you tell me about it? It is the only one like it in the group.
A close up is provided to help you identify it. What is it doing here--what is its likely origin to be in this group? The answer is that it is a WW I vintage British Lee Enfield bayonet. Although the markings aren't extremely clear in the photo one can see the Crown marking and the nomenclature between that and the guard which was struck out by the Turks. Since the Turks had few resounding victories against the British in WW I it was likely picked up following their withdrawal from Gallipoli and incorporated into Turkish service. An unprovable speculation, of course.
This one is no longer in my possession as I originally posted this photo on another website forum two years ago and a collector in the UK expressed his desire to own it, so I sent it home. Hope he got it--never heard back, as I quit posting on that site.

Question #4: In the first photo, second column top to bottom, third down is another one-of-a-kind. It has an unusual locking mechanism. Can you identify what rifle it was originally intended for? (hard one!) A Peabody rifle, one of Turkey's early purchases before the Mauser series, and indication of just how thorough their standardization program was and how they made use of anything adaptable.

Now I know that you think I'm really an advanced bayonet collector, but that is not true. I did purchase a couple dozen of the Turk M-36 rifles when they came in as surplus and each came with a bayonet, and for the most part I still have them. Other than that, I have, like I suspect most military rifle collectors have, acquired one here and there to compliment a certain rifle, but haven't made it a goal to collect them. So, just another oddity presented for your entertainment.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Here's some more "stuff" to ponder and identify if you can, falling into the categories of Gunsmithing, Military Rifles, Reloading/Ammunition. I am going to admit that I do not know precisely what the top, oblong shaped item is. It does have some writing on it, but I'll withhold that for now. The two brass ammunition looking items in the center were posted and identified by three members about a year ago, and prior to that I did not know what they were. Research following their opinions proved them correct, so I will be able to tell you what they are. Otherwise, I suspect the remaining three items will be easy to identify.

Click to enlarge.

fatelk
10-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Well, I definitely see a bayonet lug from a neutered SKS, but that's an easy one.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-16-2016, 10:45 PM
That's one down!

KCSO
10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Having shot a LeMat I know why we lost! A really clumsy and un reliable gun.

Artful
10-17-2016, 12:17 PM
The CSAA only got 2,900 Lemat's don't think that was the problem.

Let's try some other rare handguns
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/imgs/welrod-pistol.jpg

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/sunngard.jpg

http://www.pistolcollection.lu/images/DVC00239.JPG

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1e/20/49/1e204984321dd6b4135a0b3eaffe6cf7.jpg

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/auto-revolver-02.jpg

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/landstad-stripped-left.jpg

Give a guess

fred2892
10-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Post #61
1 British Welrod
2Norwegian Sungaard
3Bergmann
4Japanese Hino Komura
5 No idea!
6Norwegian Landstaad

2ndAmendmentNut
10-17-2016, 05:33 PM
The CSAA only got 2,900 Lemat's don't think that was the problem.

Let's try some other rare handguns
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/imgs/welrod-pistol.jpg

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/sunngard.jpg

http://www.pistolcollection.lu/images/DVC00239.JPG

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1e/20/49/1e204984321dd6b4135a0b3eaffe6cf7.jpg

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/auto-revolver-02.jpg

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/landstad-stripped-left.jpg

Give a guess

No. 3 looks like a Mars pistol. No clue on the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HABCAN
10-17-2016, 06:51 PM
178977Here's a special reloading tool.

Is fatelk's post #13.......... a .55 Boys AT casing and .50 BMG.

fatelk
10-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Wow, that's a good one. I can only guess it's some kind of old shotshell crimper? Beyond that wild guess I haven't a clue.

Good guess. The one on the right is definitely a .50 BMG, but the one on the left is actually a Japanese 13.2mm Hotchkiss, a very close cousin to the big fifty.

OS OK
10-17-2016, 10:46 PM
178977Here's a specal reloading tool.

?...A shot shell crimp finisher/burnisher...? This is a wild butt guess, I don't do shot shells.

[[[OOPS...remove my guess...I didn't see fatelk's guess till I posted]]]

Der Gebirgsjager
10-17-2016, 10:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it makes a roll crimp.

Artful
10-18-2016, 01:20 AM
Post #61
1 British Welrod
2Norwegian Sungaard
3Bergmann
4Japanese Hino Komura
5 No idea!
6Norwegian Landstaad

OH, your good all correct except for #5 which is really unfair
unless your a fan of Ian's Forgotten Weapons videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7me_z0Qdcs

Col4570
10-18-2016, 01:29 AM

It,s a Roll Turnover Tool,I use one all the time to load my Black Powder Shotgun Shells.

Col4570
10-18-2016, 05:19 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/Shell%20Cutter%20001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/Shell%20Cutter%20001.jpg.html)
What is this simple Tool.

fred2892
10-18-2016, 05:52 AM
Hard to tell by the picture, but if thats a blade set into the shaft it will be a cartridge trimmer.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2016, 09:58 AM

I just sold one of those at the Sept gunshow, for $7
I got it from a garage sale and posted about in August.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?314528-Unknown-Antique-tool-Can-you-help-me-identify&highlight=

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Time to clear up the mysteries of Post #57.

Starting at 12 O'clock, the oblong-shaped object, it bears the following writing on the outside BREECH SHIELD 7790929, which I assume is a part number. I don't know where, when or how this got into my parts drawers, nor do I know what it is for. Since it is small the weapon it is for is probably smallish and for a pistol cartridge, so perhaps a submachine gun of some sort?

The brass ammunition items in the center are "captive piston cartridges". I posted a "What's it?" about a year ago and three forum members readily identified them. I found, picked up and kept 6 of them when picking up the brass on an armed forces pistol range after qualification. They exactly fit into the cylinder of a .38 Special revolver. My entire knowledge on the subject is the result of a couple of "Googles", and it is one of those things that you can read about and still have questions. Supposedly such ammunition was developed by the Russians in the 1980s for a variety of weapons and is almost silent when discharged. The piston fits into the case over a small powder charge with the long, narrow end up. When fired, the piston drives the bullet into the bore and the gasses and noise are contained inside the case. They have been adapted to revolvers, pistols, and even AK-47s. The specimens shown are made of very heavy brass. Apparently the Russians aren't the only ones who use them. There are other clues that perhaps they date back to the Viet Nam War and were used by Tunnel Rats against underground opposition. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

The oddly shaped item on the bottom at 6 O'clock is the left hand grip panel for a WW II U.S. bayonet which would fit either the M1903 Springfield or M1 Garand. This is the generation of bayonet that had the blades cut down from the long WW I version or were manufactured with a 10 inch blade.

The last two items: I thought they'd be easily identified. Fatelk correctly identified the cut off bayonet lug of an SKS rifle, the larger one came off of a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine. Sporters made from these rifles look peculiar if the lug remains in place. Here's the SKS that the lug was removed from.

Col4570
10-18-2016, 10:37 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/Shell%20Cutter%20with%20cut%20Shell%20001_1.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/Shell%20Cutter%20with%20cut%20Shell%20001_1.jpg.ht ml)
Spot on Fred 2892,you blokes are good.The own made cutter saves a lot of time when cutting Shotshells down ready for loading and Roll Crimping.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Very ingenious, Col4570. I can see that the length of the peg below the blade makes for a uniform length. Over here, as they say, there seems to be a group of shotgun shooters that will reload a factory loaded shell once, then trash it. Others will reload them two or three times and trash them. I'm wondering about how many reloads you get from the average hull, and also wondering if yours are more durable than ours? In theory, I would think, once the end will no longer crimp well it could be trimmed as in your photo, be re-crimped, and just be shorter. Of course, one might encounter the need for a different wad column resulting in different pressures, etc., so I'd be very interested to hear about this from you.

HABCAN
10-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Yes, guys, you're right: my posted pic IS of a bench-mounted 12-gauge shotshell roll crimper. They came in all colors and the 'gold' ones were 'special', LOL. They were IIRC in much use up to the '60's. Star-crimped plastics made them obsolete, but they can put a beautiful roll crimp on a 'paper' shell and not so shabby a one on cut-down plastics if you spin 'em hard enough to get warm, LOL. BTDT.

Artful
10-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Lets try some rifles
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ceirigotti-660x157.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6b/3e/93/6b3e9396e7f902310234760835c08fc7.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/20383/19367391_4.jpg?v=8D11BFF01978BF0

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/573/13419902/20150602171001-3055.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/f2a754926c6630fc774bf95ec60505db/tumblr_n4d7o8h9dG1sctutso1_1280.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/t28-whole.jpg

and last
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/swlightrifle.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2016, 08:12 PM
No. 1: CEI-Rigotti Automatic Rifle Italian, about 1900
No. 2: ?
No. 3. ?
No. 4: St. Etienne Semi-Auto French 1917/1918
No. 5: ?
No. 6: US T-25 prototype
No. 7: Smith & Wesson Model 1940 Light Rifle

jj850
10-18-2016, 11:02 PM
No. 5 Walther WA 2000

Artful
10-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Doing good with the answers so far being correct - just 2 and 3 left - I'm impressed

Col4570
10-19-2016, 02:26 AM
Very ingenious, Col4570. I can see that the length of the peg below the blade makes for a uniform length. Over here, as they say, there seems to be a group of shotgun shooters that will reload a factory loaded shell once, then trash it. Others will reload them two or three times and trash them. I'm wondering about how many reloads you get from the average hull, and also wondering if yours are more durable than ours? In theory, I would think, once the end will no longer crimp well it could be trimmed as in your photo, be re-crimped, and just be shorter. Of course, one might encounter the need for a different wad column resulting in different pressures, etc., so I'd be very interested to hear about this from you.
I use shell cases picked up at Clay shoots.I cut them down at the Star Crimp line.My Hammerguns have 21/2" chambers.I only load Black Powder as follows :- reprime the cases, 21/2 drams black Powder,a fibre wad that has a card each side of it,1 ounce of shot an overshot Card.I punch the Cards from any box Cornflakes etc.I never use the Shells twice since BP curves the mouth after shooting.Won a Silver and a Bronze with this loading.For walked up Game shooting if you need more spread separate your shot half way with a Card,this has the effect of widening the Shot Column.I also use this loading in my Muzzleloading shotguns but of course the ingredients are assembled in the Barrels.

Col4570
10-19-2016, 02:44 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/Cases%20showing%20Crimp%20001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/Cases%20showing%20Crimp%20001.jpg.html)
The Homeload Black Powder Reloads showing the Roll Crimp.
p.s there are 27 1/2 grains to the Dram.

Swede 45
10-19-2016, 04:59 PM
ok, whats this? 38spl round for size..
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/Swede45/mystery.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/Swede45/media/mystery.jpg.html)

Der Gebirgsjager
10-19-2016, 05:30 PM
:confused: I have no idea at all. Looks like a miniature anti-tank weapon!

Artful
10-19-2016, 08:34 PM
to me it looks like one of the blank firing barrels for SMG's

fred2892
10-20-2016, 02:13 AM
Post #83 cattle killer?

Col4570
10-20-2016, 02:50 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/002-24.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/002-24.jpg.html)
Easy one.

corbinace
10-20-2016, 03:06 AM
That is easy for you to say. I, on the other hand, have to guess. Is it some sort of grinding fixture?

fred2892
10-20-2016, 03:27 AM
Its a wheel lock. I helped make one once from a kit of rough castings. Ended up buying tourist souvenirs as a source of pyrites.

Col4570
10-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Its a wheel lock. I helped make one once from a kit of rough castings. Ended up buying tourist souvenirs as a source of pyrites.

Dead right Fred,Yes a Wheelock,Its one I made some years ago and did,nt get round to making the rest of the Gun.If you care to deviate from the straight and narrow then make a Hardwood Piece with Lighter Flints glued into it.Very efficient but not traditional.Regards.

Swede 45
10-20-2016, 12:54 PM
My post is the blank/gallery load barrel for the Swedish CarlGustav M45 submachinegun.

The barrel it self is a 5.2mm smoothbore and with the front device attached it´s setup for shooting blanks.
The blank cartriges holds a hard plastic bullet that when fired, disintigrates in the subcalibered barrel and the front device acts as a diffusor of the dust from the bullet.
The diffusor threads on to the barrel and are locked in place with the clip seen in the pic.

With only the barrel in the gun, (no diffusor device) you can fire those black with blue markings 9mm that are visible in picpost #17

Those are the Swedish shortrange/gallery rounds for the Swedish K. They are made of a black hard plastic with a 5 mm steel BB. The plastic will disintigrate just as the blanks, but the steel BB becomes the projectile.
They are a hoot to shoot and was used for indoor/short range practice by the Swedish armed forces, and there was even miniature targets to simulate long range firing.. (nicknamed "japs" in a era of less political correctness)

All ammo for the K is placed in square clips of 6x6 rounds and are intended to be used with a special speedloader.
You can refill the 36 rnd stick magazine within a few seconds with the clip and speedloader.

Warning note: This barrel will chamber a standard 9mm round, with catastrophic result if fired.
The blanks or gallery loads will not disintigrate in a standard barrel and are lethal on short distances. My tests shows that a "blank" will penetrate about 12mm of plywood at 5 feet when fired from a handgun.

fatelk
10-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Very interesting! When I saw your location I thought that might be what it was. It's cool to hear from someone who's actually used one. I ruined a BHP barrel with a magazine full of that ammo years ago; looks like someone got inside the barrel with a miniature ball-peen hammer. I later learned what it was intended for, and was not to be used in a standard barrel.

Col4570
10-21-2016, 07:01 AM
That is easy for you to say. I, on the other hand, have to guess. Is it some sort of grinding fixture?
One of these days I will mount it to a Barrel and Furniture,it will be easily recognised then.
Regards.

Artful
10-21-2016, 10:27 AM
No. 1: CEI-Rigotti Automatic Rifle Italian, about 1900
No. 2: ?
No. 3. ?
No. 4: St. Etienne Semi-Auto French 1917/1918
No. 5: ?
No. 6: US T-25 prototype
No. 7: Smith & Wesson Model 1940 Light Rifle

2) mershon and hollingsworth revolving automatic rifle
3) Prototype Smith-Condit/Standard Arms Bolt Action Semi-Automatic Rifle

Der Gebirgsjager
10-21-2016, 08:11 PM
An odd shotgun that was once somewhat popular, but seldom seen today.

179221179222 ??????????????
Click to enlarge.

Artful
10-22-2016, 01:34 AM
An odd shotgun that was once somewhat popular, but seldom seen today.

179221179222 ??????????????
Click to enlarge.

That Trigger reminds me of a Spencer but I don't remember seeing any with that screw on the hump in the receiver?

quack1
10-22-2016, 08:21 PM
First thing that came to mind was Marlin, but I'm pretty sure it had an exposed hammer.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Answer to post #95:
quack1 is close. This is a Union Firearms Co. of Toledo, Ohio Model 24 made around 1909. It has a 32" Damascus barrel, but some of the later specimens had regular steel barrels. This one is not operational, and if it was shooting it would be questionable, although other than having a mechanical problem it appears to be in good condition. Union was purchased by Marlin which discontinued this model, but produced a couple of somewhat similar models thereafter.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Ready for an easy one?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-24-2016, 05:47 PM
This is a US military marksmanship medal. I apologize for the photography, as it is beneath glass in a frame. Nevertheless, there is something that could be considered unusual about the medal which can be picked up by an astute observer.
Click to enlarge.

Ithaca Gunner
10-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Looks an early USMC expert badge with Springfield rifles.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Close...I wish the photo was just a bit sharper.

Artful
10-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Looks like it was cast with a right and left bolt gun design?

rancher1913
10-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Ready for an easy one?

finally one I know, its a roll crimper for shotgun shells.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-24-2016, 10:42 PM
You are correct, rancher1913. And it does a good job!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Answer to Post #100, marksmanship badge:

Again, sorry about the poor quality of the photo. The rifles are Krag rifles. If you were viewing the actual article you could easily see the magazine loading gate on the rifle on the left, and the side plate on the rifle on the right. I thought that perhaps someone might still pick it up from the way the muzzles look.

There's a short story with this item. My interest in it evolved from watching the movie "Rough Riders." I noticed that some of the Spanish-American War era soldiers were wearing marksmanship badges that looked very much like those currently worn by the USMC. Before crying "foul!" I researched it a bit and found that until 1921 the US Army and USMC issued the same marksmanship badges, at which time the Army went to the current pattern and the USMC continued on with a just slightly revised version of the original. Like Ithaca Gunner pointed out, the older USMC version has the 1903 Springfield rifle, so this one is older than older, and may well be an Army issue; but could also be USMC since they issued the same badge, and this one only says "sterling" on the back. The only difference I can tell between the ones bearing the M1903 and this one, other than the older one having the Krag, is ends of the bar are a bit fancier on the older version. This one was another e-bay purchase won only after a long and bitter bidding session! But, a true bit of history I would think.