PDA

View Full Version : Contender carbine in .256 Winchester

chasw
06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I have two stainless steel Contender carbine barrels, one by Bullberry in .256 Winchester and another by the TC custom shop in 7-30 Waters. Both barrels are well made and fit my stainless frame perfectly. In both cases the forearms needed extensive modification with the Dremel tool to ensure zero contact with the frame.

Beyond that, the .256 Win combo needed considerable load development before it would shoot cast bullets accurately. Developing pet loads with jacketed bullets was a snap with both barrels, but the .256 Win with its 1in10 twist presented a challenge for cast bullets. In spite of the fact that 75 grainers are the most accurate jacketed bullets (occasionally 5 rounds into 1/2 inch at 100 yds), the only cast bullet that does well at all is an RCBS 105 grain gas check number from Montana Bullet Works.

After trying many different combinations, the final secret ingredient for that bullet was to fill the case with Hodgdon Benchmark powder, about 16.5 grains with CCI BR-4s or Fed 205Ms. With no air gap, the rifle starts to print one hole groups at 50 yds.

Yesterday at the range, I put 5 rounds into 1/2 inch at that range with 4 of the rounds inside 1/4 inch. Velocity is about 1850 fps. Zero leading. Very gratifying and fits the bill as my ultimate small game rifle. - CW