PDA

View Full Version : Highwall Questions

grizzly
10-12-2016, 05:15 PM
I have an old original 1885 Highwall in 38-55. I no longer shoot it since it's over 100 yrs old. But I love these guns.

I decided I want a new one in 45-70. A local shop has a used Uberti (7 rds) for $1000. I'm also looking at a factory new Winchester for $1300.

Looking at the two, the Uberti has a nice case hardened receiver. But the Winchester has a tang peep sight. I'm certain both gus will do great, but I'm leaning towards the Japanese barreled Winchester due to great things I've heard.

I am open to any thoughts or information to help me choose one from the other.

VA Jim
10-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Nothing wrong with getting a newer one, but I certainly wouldn't stop shooting the original!

NSB
10-12-2016, 06:30 PM
My Win/Miroku 1885 in 45-70 will shoot honest five shot groups of 1moa with several loads off the bench. It's probably one of the nicest guns I've ever owned. I wouldn't even think twice about getting one.

Mauser48
10-12-2016, 06:52 PM
I read somewhere that the uberti is actually closer to the original than the winchester/miroku. Sounds like pedersoli makes the best.

oldred
10-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Not sure why folks talk about the original 1885s along with the newer true copies such as the Uburti, etc and the Miroku Winchester/Browning as if they are somehow the same rifle when they could hardly be more different!!! The Miroku Winchester is 1885 in name only and is a thoroughly modern design and an entirely different animal than the originals, it shares little more than vague resemblance externally and internally NOTHING is the same. It is a completely different action except for the floating hammer idea but even that operates somewhat different and everything else from the extractor to the sear and trigger group is totally different, gone is the beautifully simple and very easy to maintain design that Browning and Winchester created! This has been replaced with a much more modern and complicated differently designed action that functions differently and contains many more small parts that requires a much more complicated disassembly/reassembly procedure than the originals. This is not to say they are bad rifles, they are not, in fact they are fine guns that anyone should be proud to own but make no mistake, while they may be called 1885s they simply are not the same rifle by a wide margin.

NSB
10-12-2016, 07:41 PM
I read somewhere that the uberti is actually closer to the original than the winchester/miroku. Sounds like pedersoli makes the best.
The first two I had were Pedersoli's. I sent them back and got the Win/Miroku.178663

grizzly
10-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Nothing wrong with getting a newer one, but I certainly wouldn't stop shooting the original!

I've only quit shooting it due to my will to preserve it more than anything. When I was younger my grandfather gave it to me. I was too young to appreciate the rifle to it's fullest other than it was a gift from him. Times changed and I started shooting it. I began researching the gun and serial number. And found out it was an original built in the late century. Eventually I decided it was best to look at as I was more afraid of modern ammo possibly damaging it. I am fascinated by the simplicity though as well as it's clock like workmanship. It's patina'd and beat up a bit. But it's neat!

I had spoke with the man selling the Uberti. He moved slightly on the price. I mentioned I was really looking at the Winchester and he had to make the comment about it being a Jap made gun. I then brought to his attention that he was holding an Italian made gun and asked him to explain the difference.

oldred
10-12-2016, 09:59 PM
I then brought to his attention that he was holding an Italian made gun and asked him to explain the difference.

Again two COMPLETELY different rifles, the Uberti is a ringer for the original with only a couple of minor differences while the Winchester is a totally different design! The Winchester may be similar, but only somewhat, on the outside but inside it's not even close and does not even resemble an original (or the Italian rifles which do) at all.

Paul_R
10-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Personally I think the Italians put Winchester to shame. I have both.

oldred
10-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Personally I think the Italians put Winchester to shame. I have both.

The new Winchesters are fantastic rifles for sure but really comparing the Italian version to the Jap rifle is a classic case of "Apples and Oranges". But only due to the differences, the Italian 1885s are great rifles that stay true to the original design and take a second place to no one!

samari46
10-12-2016, 11:40 PM
What is it that causes you concern about your original 1885 winchester?. You should check out the assra.com web site and shooters there have no concerns shooting the original ones. I have a low wall that was made around 1895 in 32-20 and love shooting it. Frank

M-Tecs
10-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Original Highwall actions were commonly used for pressure test guns until recently. I have a 1906 and a 1908 or 09 that see a lot of use.

oldred
10-13-2016, 01:39 AM
For sure they are a VERY strong action, even the early ones made from the steels of the day can handle surprisingly high pressures. Unless there is a specific concern I wouldn't be a bit worried about shooting one of the old ones, I certainly wouldn't hotrod it but even if you did it would take a lot of abuse to cause of problems.

Probably one of the most common issues that concerns owners of older well used guns is a sloppy breach block lock-up but this is usually easily repaired. Disassembling and inspecting the lever to block link and pins usually exposes worn pins and the pin holes in the link, new pins and the link itself (very easy to make if a person can't find one) will normally tighten things up nicely. If that doesn't fix the problem then the solution is to make a new link a few thousandths longer with the holes spaced proportionally farther apart. The only power tool needed is an electric drill or even better a small drill press, but really the press is not necessary, these things are so easy to make that trial-and-error can be used to determine the proper amount of extra length. This is not a "shade tree" fix and is commonly done to correct the most common cause of looseness in these older actions.

marlinman93
10-13-2016, 10:51 AM
If you read the pressure experiments that Buhmiller did on the 1885 action, you'd never worry about harming your original again! Buhmiller installed a .30-06 barrel on an original 1885 and then attempted to figure out where the limits were to blow up the action! He and a friend put the gun through extreme loads, splitting cases, and separating heads on cartridges, but couldn't blow the action. They finally tapped the end of the barrel and screwed in a pipe plug to blow the action! After firing, the barrel blew up, and the action was sprung where it was useless for further testing; but it didn't blow apart!
Even the old actions are stronger than most people's loads will ever hurt. I have a friend who has one barreled iin .300 Win. Mag., and has had it as his elk rifle for decades. When he first showed it to me I was shocked, and told him it wouldn't be my choice for the 1885 High Wall! But time has proven it to be strong, and it still shows perfect headspace after 3 or 4 decades with that barrel and caliber.

Don McDowell
10-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Don't shy away from the new made Winchesters, they are capable of match winning accuracy as they come out of the box. Something not necessarily so with the Uberti's.
Another option, but it will cost a bit more money are the 1885's from C Sharps arms.
As long as your original isn't in a deteriorated state, keep with the saami spec pressure loads if shooting smokeless, or straight black it should serve you well.

oldred
10-13-2016, 06:37 PM
No one is suggesting shying away from the newer Winchesters because they are different, I was just pointing out that they are indeed different and very different at that! If a person wants a truly original style rifle that is like those of the era then the new Winchesters/Brownings simply don't do that like the Italian made rifles or others such as the USA made CSharps do. Its a fact that except for that somewhat similar outward appearance of the newer versions and the floating hammer concept there is very little else that even comes close to being true to the original 1885s as Winchester sold them for so many years and even that hammer is totally redesigned. Of course that makes little difference since NOTHING else is the same, extractor design is radically different and operates in a different way utilizing many more parts than the originals none of which even resemble the original design. Ditto for the entire trigger group, sear, all the springs, etc, plus they interact with each other utilizing a different design principle. Even the breech block is radically different as is the firing pin design, in short nothing is the same. However this not intended to slight the newer design and I have been saying all along the newer Jap made rifles are fine guns and quite capable but as for being a true 1885 they are very different and a completely new and thoroughly modern rifle that bears a passing resemblance to the originals and shares the model number/name but little if anything else.

Don McDowell
10-13-2016, 08:42 PM
1956 Ford 150 isn't anything like a 2016 F150, but Ford still owns the name, Winchester still owns the 1885...

oldred
10-13-2016, 10:01 PM
1956 Ford 150 isn't anything like a 2016 F150, but Ford still owns the name, Winchester still owns the 1885...

And you think maybe they too are the same??????? If you were looking to buy an F150 would you discuss a 1956 and a 2016 as if they are the same truck???? That is exactly my point, they have the same name but they couldn't be much more different! Would you buy a 2016 F150 to show at a classic auto meet? No? Why not, it has the same name! That's the catch, often these discussions are about the classic BP era rifle with references to John Browning's design but then this thoroughly modern rifle that bears only a passing resemblance to the classic is discussed as if it is somehow the same rifle when clearly it is as different as that 1950 F150 vs the 2016 model! Often there is discussion as to the differences in quality, price, etc but no mention what-so-ever that it is an entirely different design even though a lot of folks who are just getting involved with these classic singleshot rifles simply don't know this and why should they if they aren't yet familiar with them? Any way you cut it they are simply two completely different rifles and while several different makers build rifles that are true to the classics in both appearance and function Winchester has chosen to hang the classic name on a totally different and very modern design. The new one is a fine rifle in just about every way but it is a whole different animal than the classic original, comparing the two designs as if they are the same and ignoring these major differences can be very misleading to those who are not yet familiar with them!

dlbarr
10-14-2016, 12:37 AM
I recently was thinking about a high wall in 4570 also. I have been someone who buys guns on a budget so my handi rifle & marlin 1895 have filled the bill and are great shooters. But then....I'd like once to buy a really really nice rifle. So I looked at the Ballard rifle company site. They list no prices and you have to call them to find out what they want. Haven't done that yet but I am sure taken with the pictures they show.

Hope you get what you're really looking for , griz.

Don McDowell
10-14-2016, 01:13 AM
Ballard is gone. Altho there are some pretty good Cody ballads come up from time to time.

dlbarr
10-14-2016, 02:36 AM
Ballard is gone. Altho there are some pretty good Cody ballads come up from time to time.

Really? they still have a full website going...

Chill Wills
10-14-2016, 10:00 AM

If you give them a call and get an answer, I would be interested in what they tell you.

Any number of people ( friends and acquaintances ) got caught with rifles in the works and money on them when the then 'new owner' moved from Cody to Michigan and we hear various stories as to how it has all worked out. When Ballard was in Cody and SPG ran the place everything was first class.

I would be very careful and do thorough diligence before I handed over a deposit.

It would be GREAT if that were not true and they were churning out rifles left and right.

Premod70
10-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Best 1885 for the money today is the C Sharps version. The Italian's uses inferior steels and the Jap version is so safety engineered that it is somewhat useless when compared to the C Sharps.

marlinman93
10-14-2016, 10:54 AM

Websites can stay online for years after a company closes it's doors. This is the case with Ballard Rifle Co. They closed their doors two years ago, and the site is still there. And the questions still continue about the company, and people wondering why they don't respond. To further muddy the waters, if you email them the site sends back an automatic email! So people think that there's someone on the other end actually reading their email!
It's a dead company, and has been for some time.

dlbarr
10-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Websites can stay online for years after a company closes it's doors. This is the case with Ballard Rifle Co. They closed their doors two years ago, and the site is still there. And the questions still continue about the company, and people wondering why they don't respond. To further muddy the waters, if you email them the site sends back an automatic email! So people think that there's someone on the other end actually reading their email!
It's a dead company, and has been for some time.

Well, what a shame. Have to find another alternative I guess.

Don McDowell
10-14-2016, 01:08 PM
That's ok, apology accepted.

oldred
10-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Have to find another alternative I guess.

You don't have to look far nor settle for an import, take a look at these beauties!

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-category/11/Model-1885-Highwall-Rifles.html?page=0

marlinman93
10-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Best 1885 for the money today is the C Sharps version. The Italian's uses inferior steels and the Jap version is so safety engineered that it is somewhat useless when compared to the C Sharps.

I would not agree to lump all Italian firms as using inferior steel. The Pedersoli and Uberti rifles have a fine reputation for quality arms. There are others who I would avoid like the plague, as their quality and accuracy is inconsistent.

If you can find a new C Sharps, Shiloh Sharps, Winchester, or a used Cody, you'll have a very well built, and accurate gun! But the Cody built guns are ALL going the opposite direction in values! Since the demise of the company all Cody built Ballard and 1885 rifles have been climbing in value. When the company was still in business a used rifle had decreased in value, and was a bargain. But now they are more expensive than a new Shiloh or C Sharps, so not a bargain anymore.
I sold off my friend's estate this year with 4 Cody built Ballards. I had original paperwork for all 4 guns, and all sold for double, or close to double what he paid for them new. Wonderful guns, but not a bargain anymore.

country gent
10-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I top was interested in one of the Ballards and being close me and a friend made a run to michigan. Stopped in at a local gun shop in Adrian to see what was there and talked to the owner. I tild him our next stop was Ballard rifle company. He smiled and told me Dont bother with it they are closed. I to was suckered by the return e-mails but when calling I got this number has been disconected recording. I bought a C Sharps Highwall last years in 38-55 winchester Its a great rifle and very accurate. I ordered it with 30" tapered octagon barrel 1-12 twist. Case hardened reciever ( no engraving). Spirit level globe front sight. Case Hardened steel buttplate, single set trigger and upgraded wood to fancy walnut. I asked for a finished weight of 10-10 1/2 lbs. Barrel is a mcgowen blank ( what they were using for 38 calibers). Its a beautiful rifle and very good performer. If Looking for a "special" rifle for your collection, one to make you proud to own it. Look at CPA a reproduction of the Stevens 441/2, A beautiful rifles with a great lock time, set up for interchngable barrels from the factory. You can actually orders the rifle in 1 or more calibers amd its only 14-20 mins to change barrels out. Paul and Gail are very knowledgable and great to deal with also. Mine is a 40-65 win, douglas barrel tapered octagon countour 1-16 twist, double set triggers that came with the trigger pull whn set measured in ounces. I opted for fancy walniut matching forearm and ball in the lever loop. A grat performing rifle again. It really performs well with 400-425grn bullets. Look around and dont get set on something till after, theres alot of great rifles out there to be had.

marlinman93
10-14-2016, 01:42 PM
CPA rifles are probably one of the finest clones made today, and still a bargain for what they are. In addition the 44 1/2 Stevens design lends itself well to having numerous barrel/forearm assemblies that make your one gun versatile for use in numerous types of shooting! If I was going to order a gun today that was a clone it would be a CPA with a schuetzen buttstock, and a silhouette buttstock. Then I'd add 3-4 barrels in my favorite calibers and be happy with a one gun for everything situation! Not cheap, but definitely the perfect gun for everything I'd want to do from target shooting, to long range, to hunting!

grizzly
10-14-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm not afraid of the action of my original 1885. It shoots well still. It's becoming more of an heirloom to me. It's not the best specimen of my collection as it's well used but it was my grandfathers. Again it's become an heirloom.

i like to shoot a lot and really want a 45-70 in the same style as I really enjoy the action work.

The man wanting to sell the Uberti is waffling on the original deal. I also asked if I could gauge the chamber as he said he never shot it then changed and stated shot it 4 or 7 times. There I call BS. And he refuses to let me put my chamber gauge in it. Why?

So I'm back to looking at the Winchester. Really it's at the top of my budget. I have several 45-70 levers and this is my next bucket list gun.

Baja_Traveler
10-14-2016, 10:41 PM
CPA rifles are probably one of the finest clones made today, and still a bargain for what they are. In addition the 44 1/2 Stevens design lends itself well to having numerous barrel/forearm assemblies that make your one gun versatile for use in numerous types of shooting! If I was going to order a gun today that was a clone it would be a CPA with a schuetzen buttstock, and a silhouette buttstock. Then I'd add 3-4 barrels in my favorite calibers and be happy with a one gun for everything situation! Not cheap, but definitely the perfect gun for everything I'd want to do from target shooting, to long range, to hunting!

Kinda like these!
Here are my brace of CPA's - I bought the top set from a shooting buddy who couldn't shoot BPCR any longer - 4 barrels in 45-90, 45-70, 38-50 and 22 LR. I sold my Shilo sharps in 45-70 and my Pedersoli Sharps in 40-65 to get it.
Then another shooting buddy died, so I picked up his CPA from his estate - 2 barrels in 45-70 and 22 LR. This particular rifle will be heading back to CPA to have a barrel made in 32-40 and the stock converted for a hooked buttplate for the schuetzen game.
I have 2 highwalls also, one in 32-40 and the other in 22LR - they shoot fine, but I simply love CPA's...

samari46
10-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Grizzly, if your seller keeps coming up with excuses regarding your purchase run away. And that goes for checking out the chamber. I take a cleaning rod when I go to gun shows and ask if I can check the barrel. If they say no I thank them and walk away. I've done this for years and most of the time I get a yes answer and if the barrel is good and it is something I'm looking for I buy it. Frank

Don McDowell
10-14-2016, 11:28 PM
If you can swing it go for the Winchester.

EDG
10-15-2016, 06:26 AM
Your description of the Jap gun is not very clear. Just exactly what does not work for you?
I have several of them and they work fine and they are accurate. If I could get an original 1885 in as nice condition for the same money I would buy it.
But I got all of my rifles used or at discounted prices and they have been excellent in every way compared to the same money spent on an original or a the Ubertis with the variable quality barrels. The Pedersoli guns were not in production when I bought my rifles. In fact the Uberti was not in production until the last pair were purchased. Most original 1885s would have to be rebarrelled to match the quality of the Badger barrels on some of the Brownings.

grizzly
10-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Grizzly, if your seller keeps coming up with excuses regarding your purchase run away. And that goes for checking out the chamber. I take a cleaning rod when I go to gun shows and ask if I can check the barrel. If they say no I thank them and walk away. I've done this for years and most of the time I get a yes answer and if the barrel is good and it is something I'm looking for I buy it. Frank
I carry pretty much the same sentiment Frank. I was interested in the chamber depth mainly because I wanted to see where it would be based on reloads I would consider. But something with this seller isn't jiving on his stories. And frankly, for 950 - 1000 plus tax...I can nearly buy a new Ubert for just a few more dollars.

You guys posting images of these CPA rifles are killing me. Although they are way outside of my budget.
Unless I find a stellar deal on a Uberti, I am going to opt for the Winchester most likely at this point. I'd like something with a case hardened frame, but I'm not looking to match an era or compete, I'm just fascinated with the action style and love the 45-70 caliber. I'll eventually put money aside and go with an 1874 but not until y kids are done with college.

NSB
10-15-2016, 09:08 AM
I've had my "Jap" Winchester for about three years now and still can't find all that safety engineered stuff being referred to. I think the person who made that comment doesn't know the difference between the 1885 and the 1886 (I've had/have both). No safeties on the 1885. Accuracy? You decide. Here's two groups fired from 114yds.

country gent
10-15-2016, 09:36 AM
If I see an older original rifle Im interested in I will not only run a patch thru but also go out and get the hawkeye out of the car and have a look see. That back fires on me sometimes. I was at a local show looking at a Sharps and got the hawkeye to inspect it. The gent had 5-6 rifles on his table and We ended up inspecting all of them, He liked what it showed him and asked to check his others. When walking around with it I get more inquires if its for sale than a rifle does. LOL.

Don McDowell
10-15-2016, 09:37 AM
No extra safeties on any of the 4 Miroku built 1885's that live around here either,, but I do think they put a safety on the latest version of the 22 lowballs, but it's much like the safety on the 95's and 86's flip to fire and forget about it...

oldred
10-15-2016, 10:41 AM
I've had my "Jap" Winchester for about three years now and still can't find all that safety engineered stuff being referred to. I think the person who made that comment doesn't know the difference between the 1885 and the 1886 (I've had/have both). No safeties on the 1885. Accuracy? You decide. Here's two groups fired from 114yds.

I also wondered about the "safety engineered" statement on the new models?? For all the different engineering in those rifles I can't see anything that was done to enhance safety. In fact I can't see just exactly what it was they were trying do, while the new ones are certainly fine rifles the original design is just as capable and has way fewer parts plus it is waaaaaay simpler to disassemble/reassemble when needed. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see anything in the new design that offers any advantages such as faster lock time or a better trigger pull but certainly no disadvantages either, it just seems to me that they built a much more complicated action to accomplish the same job. Of course there is the ejector instead of the extractor on the originals but personally I prefer the extractor, however that's just me and it's likely that given a choice most folks would rather have the ejector system. There is the much better stock attachment and the forearm mounting could be an improvement but either of those could have easily been done to the old action rather than simply designing an entirely different rifle with a similar external appearance. No matter, either rifle is quite capable and while the new one may not be a "real" 1885 as it was originally designed it is still one fine piece to have!

Les Staley
10-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Somebody please tell me what CPA stands for!

Don McDowell
10-16-2016, 12:33 PM

http://singleshotrifles.com

GOPHER SLAYER
10-16-2016, 01:56 PM
I own an original Winchester 1885 and a Uberti clone, both in 38-55. Both of them shoot very well. I used the Uberti in black powder matches because the Winchester's chamber was a bit too tight for my black powder reloads. While I have never owned the Jap version, I have heard and read that you best not take one apart unless you are a factory engineer. I think that is a bit of an exaggeration but I have read several times that owners of the rifle took them apart and had to hire someone to put them back together.

NSB
10-16-2016, 03:15 PM
I have read several times that owners of the rifle took them apart and had to hire someone to put them back together.

That part is true. It's also true that there are a lot of people who've taken all sorts of guns apart and had to get someone to put them back together for them. I lost count of how many Ruger semi rimfire I've had to re-assemble for people. The High Wall is probably one of the most difficult. Fortunately, it rarely needs to come apart. You can do a Lee Shaver trigger job on one of these without the services of a gunsmith. Lee will send you almost idiot proof instructions on how to get the parts out he needs to work on, and for about thirty-five bucks you get a 1.5lb trigger with almost no creep in it at all. Other than that, you can shoot them for years without complete disassembly. A bit complicated? Yes, but they're still a very high quality, accurate rifle. No reason not to buy one.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-16-2016, 05:44 PM
NSB, I agree that the Jap hi-wall is a very well made rifle. The problem I had with the earlier ones is that they were made as a modern rifle, that is with no tang and to be used for hunting and not target shooting. In my opinion the gun was too lite for the 45-70 cartridge. When the black powder cartridge version came out, that was more to my liking. I have no idea how well they performed in matches. BTW, I have owned several hi-walls over the years and never took one apart or felt the need to. My Winchester has a Don Rice set trigger and sometimes while cleaning the bore between shots I would accidently push forward on the set trigger when the lever was down and I would then have to remove the butt stock and reset the lever on the trigger. A real pain when you are in the middle of a match.

NSB
10-16-2016, 05:51 PM
NSB, I agree that the Jap hi-wall is a very well made rifle. The problem I had with the earlier ones is that they were made as a modern rifle, that is with no tang and to be used for hunting and not target shooting. In my opinion the gun was too lite for the 45-70 cartridge. When the black powder cartridge version came out, that was more to my liking. I have no idea how well they performed in matches. BTW, I have owned several hi-walls over the years and never took one apart or felt the need to. My Winchester has a Don Rice set trigger and sometimes while cleaning the bore between shots I would accidently push forward on the set trigger when the lever was down and I would then have to remove the butt stock and reset the lever on the trigger. A real pain when you are in the middle of a match.
The Winchester/Miroku High Walls all had tangs on them. The Browning High Walls did not have tangs on them unless they were the BPCR model which had Badger barrels and tangs on them for target shooting. The BPCR's performed very, very well in matches but weren't really set up for hunting. They were longer, heavier, and had no sling swivel studs on them. The studs could be easily remedied, but the weight and length could not. At this time, it's very difficult to even find a good used Browning High Wall, even the ones without the tang. The Winchester's are still available if you look and you can even find them NIB at some locations. For the money, I've never owned a better made or more accurate rifle than the one I have now.....and I've owned a lot of guns.

oldred
10-16-2016, 06:58 PM
I have had a new Winchester apart several times and while it's not as difficult to reassemble as say a Remington nylon 66 it's not for the casual tinkerer either and certainly not even close to being as simple as the classic 1885. That is just one of the points of my earlier posts, folks often discuss these rifles and lump them all together as if they are somehow the same rifle when nothing could be father from the truth, not everyone is aware of these differences nor the fact that the Jap rifles are a modern design and not the classic 1885 as it was.

Les Staley
10-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, Don. Can I blame you if I just have to get one?

Don McDowell
10-16-2016, 11:10 PM
That'ld be fine Les, I won one in the drawing at the BPTR nationals a couple years ago, have bought two more since then...

grizzly
10-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to opt for the Winchester. While I like the looks of the Uberti with the case hardened frame, I think the Winchester will suit my needs just as well. I'm more interested in the action style and just shooting that any period type nostalgia. I have been eyeballing the Marlin cowboy too though. All I been reading is it shoots very well also.

Baja_Traveler
10-25-2016, 10:40 PM

OK - While I had Gale on the phone yesterday ordering a capper/decapper for schuetzen, I asked this question for you and here is the answer:

Way back in the day Caroline and Paul Shuttleworth started a company and called it CP & Associates (First initials of their first names) - later to be shortened to CPA

grizzly
11-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Just to update this thread. I decided to pull the proverbial trigger and get the Winchester in the 45-70 flavor. It's ordered and should arrive in the next 5-7 business days.

I thought long and hard about getting the Uberti. In fact I returned to the store today and looked it over again. It was nice. The buckhorn sights are horrendous. One would need to immediately outfit with a vernier style. I figured this would set it back another $200 minimum. While I am sure the dealer was wrong, He stated that I would need to drill and tap the tang for a sight. I wasn't interested in that and I still think he was wrong. A call to Uberti didn't yield much info either.

In the end the Winchester will be better suited overall. Its equipped with swivel studs ad drilled and tapped for a scope if I ever consider scoping it. Slightly modernized by externally simple.

I do have a question for those who are in the know with single shot shooting. This isn't a BPCR. But, I'm unsure what the overall differences are other than barrel weight and length and the CCH. This model is a 28" Hunter 1885 High Wall.

I've considered getting texasmacs book even though it isn't a BPCR. I am going to try my hand at some BPCR loads though. Would the book be beneficial?

Thanks for the guidance.

bigted
11-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Definitely get the book ... YES IT IS THAT GOOD. I have the Browning BPCR gun in 45-70 and love it to pieces. Also the Browning has an extractor ... Not the ejector you will get on the hunter model.

Your hunter is equiped with a case stop that is adjustable to stop the ejected case, block its travel either left or right, or do nothing at all which allows the ejected case to be slung straight back outta the action. Great rifles and im certain you will have a super good time with it.

grizzly
11-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Definitely get the book ... YES IT IS THAT GOOD. I have the Browning BPCR gun in 45-70 and love it to pieces. Also the Browning has an extractor ... Not the ejector you will get on the hunter model.

Your hunter is equiped with a case stop that is adjustable to stop the ejected case, block its travel either left or right, or do nothing at all which allows the ejected case to be slung straight back outta the action. Great rifles and im certain you will have a super good time with it.

Thanks. Definitely going to order that book this evening.

i was reading the manual I downloaded this evening. The difference in ejection seems different as you said.

Also so what is the actual difference aside from that and the CHF from the BPCR? This has perplexed me. There isn't a tremendous amount of info on these newer rifles.

EDG
11-10-2016, 07:37 PM
The Hunter has a straight grip and the curved rifle butt with a medium to light weight barrel of unknown origin.

The BPCR has a shotgun butt with a heavy pistol grip butt stock. The barrels were made by Badger and were a heavy half round half octagon 30" long.
The BPCRs included a decent tang and globe front sight.

The BPCR rifles have an extractor only and no deflector. There are no sling swivel bases

The non BPCR rifles have an ejector and the adjustable ejection deflector. There are sling swivel bases.

Thanks. Definitely going to order that book this evening.

i was reading the manual I downloaded this evening. The difference in ejection seems different as you said.

Also so what is the actual difference aside from that and the CHF from the BPCR? This has perplexed me. There isn't a tremendous amount of info on these newer rifles.

grizzly
11-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Thanks EDG. Definitely seems like a rifle more for competition. I'd like to put hands on one. These rifles around these parts are like unicorns.

In other news. Today Cabelas was offering a Veterans Day discount. I looked at a Pedersoli 1875 Sharps. Sadly I walked out of the store with it. With all the discounts I got, I couldn't turn it down. After some range time in afraid this will quickly lead to an addiction.

The buckhorn sights took a few shots to get used to. But once I did she put 4 in a 1 1/2" group at 100. My eyes suck, and I was using a BR target intended for scopes. I was more than satisfied with that performance.

EDG
11-12-2016, 10:39 AM
The author of the book on the Browning/Winchester Miroku rifles, Wayne McLerran, deals in these rifles and he can find you one or you can troll Gun Broker and the BPCR and Single Shot Rifle forums. The standard rifles weigh about 8.5lbs to 9lbs. The BPCR weighs about 2 oz short of 12 lbs.
Wayne's handle is TexasMac.

http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html

I bought a BPCR rifle in 2000 right after they had been discontinued. They have nearly doubled in price since then.

Thanks EDG. Definitely seems like a rifle more for competition. I'd like to put hands on one. These rifles around these parts are like unicorns.

In other news. Today Cabelas was offering a Veterans Day discount. I looked at a Pedersoli 1875 Sharps. Sadly I walked out of the store with it. With all the discounts I got, I couldn't turn it down. After some range time in afraid this will quickly lead to an addiction.

The buckhorn sights took a few shots to get used to. But once I did she put 4 in a 1 1/2" group at 100. My eyes suck, and I was using a BR target intended for scopes. I was more than satisfied with that performance.

supe47
11-12-2016, 06:12 PM

John Boy
11-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Folks, we all know CPA Rifles. I asked Paul on day - "What does CPA stand for?
Reply ... Catherine Paul Associates, aka CPA

Ed in North Texas
11-19-2016, 11:01 PM
I regularly shoot an 1872 NYSM Roller and an 1874 Swede Roller. I do reload for both, keeping to black powder cast boolit loads. Modern commercial loads for the .38-55 would be kept to the SAAMI pressure spec for original rifles. Why wouldn't you reload boolit loads and know for sure exactly what you have?