PDA

View Full Version : What will remove NRA 50/50 Alox from cast bullets?

dahermit
10-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Has anyone come up with a successful method of removing NRA 50/50 (Alox and Beeswax), from cast lead bullets? I have a quantity of cast and lubed bullets that I want to change over to Powder Coat, and I know that they have to be clean, clean, clean. I seem to remember trying Acetone (but am not absolutely sure about that),but found that unsuccessful. Please note the question is what has worked, not what to try (I can come up with as many things to try as anyone else.).

Mica_Hiebert
10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Boil them in a pot of water till the wax melts off and floats to the top then let cool until it solidifies and you can just take the wax off the top of the water and then clean the bullets in mineral spirits.

shoot-n-lead
10-12-2016, 02:06 PM
I have used acetone, to good effect on some back before powder coating. I washed and let soak, a bunch of them in acetone and then powder coated them.

AbitNutz
10-12-2016, 02:21 PM
If you have a tumbler or vibrating polisher, walnut shell media...that will work. I had to get Imperial sizing wax off some bullets once and that was the only thing that worked.

JSnover
10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
The first time I used MEK, just because I had some on hand. Boiling water works just as well and is a lot safer.

WebMonkey
10-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Odorless mineral spirits.
Worked fine and quick for me.
In a bucket, swirled around, drained, dried quick.

sledgehammer001
10-12-2016, 10:05 PM
I recently used naphtha, then acetone. Make certain it's dry under any gas checks! I didn't, ended up with "pits" in my PC finish after baking :-( Duh!

Dimner
10-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Odorless mineral spirits.
Worked fine and quick for me.
In a bucket, swirled around, drained, dried quick.

I have done this also with While Label Lube's 2400+ (which is a variation of NRA 50/50) and BAC (which is a mix of NRA 50/50 and Carnauba Red). I left it in a plastic glad disposal bowl for a few hours. Came off pretty easy. Also left it over night, no removing necessary It was all off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Boil them in a pot of water till the wax melts off and floats to the top then let cool until it solidifies and you can just take the wax off the top of the water and then clean the bullets in mineral spirits.
This is what I'd do...But MS may still leave a residue on the boolit...instead of MS, I've used "LA's Awesome" cleaner at full strength, then rinse with water to remove residue. You can get "LA's Awesome" at the dollar store, $1 for a quart.

wmaximusd
10-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Boiling water and dish soap, swirl for a few minutes and drain. To get the last bit off a final swirl with mineral spirits. MS dries clean and PC adheres well for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

odfairfaxsub
10-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Gasoline soak, water rinse, grease lightening spray and let it linger, then rinse. Works every time