PDA

View Full Version : Oldest dog passed away yesterday

9w1911
10-12-2016, 11:53 AM
She fell ill on my birthday the 10th and passed yesterday in her yard at noon. Vet thinks she had a tumor rupture and she bled out. I am full of guilt, as I brought her inside that night and she was already dying and i didnt know, I just kept working or and doing my thing. I would check on her and pet her but I had no idea, I feel so bad. I am in no way to pay for surgery, and would not submit her to surgery either she was 13. The vet said there was nothing that could be done anyway.

I think of all the days I didnt do anything, or did not give her attention and I want that time back. I miss her. I have her son who is 12 and her two grandkids who are both 2.

My girlfriend, who I live with is out of town, it was tough. I just wanted to let it out I have not talked to many friends since.

sparky45
10-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I just lost (2) of my family, the last two we had, one month apart. I and my wife are not sure we'll ever get over the loss, so I completely understand your feelings. Both of our "family members" were Poms and very old; one 16 and the other 17. I do some custom woodworking and built each of them their final "bed". Constructed of solid Black Walnut and very simple in design, I know they are sleeping in the comfort they earned and deserved. I will eventually get over the feelings of guilt about not doing everything I could have to of prolonged their time here, but it's hard.
You have my condolences.

9w1911
10-12-2016, 12:05 PM
thank you, sorry for your loss as well

shoot-n-lead
10-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear this...it is tough.

Ithaca Gunner
10-12-2016, 12:52 PM
We have five dogs, I'm sure to give each as much attention as I can everyday and spoil them rotten every chance I get. The oldest is a sweet Border Collie, around 14yo. and the youngest, 7. I view every moment spent with them as a moment closer to God.

OS OK
10-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Your pain and sorrow will fade with the decades...that's about as good as it gets for us animal lovers...they give us unconditional love.
I've had to put down so many that each time someone post here I have a flood of memories and pain, just to hear your confession of guilt makes me want to give you a big hug and tell you that everything will work out...that sounds so thin, but it will.
Experiences like yours makes us pay a little more attention to the old ones remaining in hope that we don't repeat our neglect or maybe it's taking them for granted...either way it was done innocently, don't cary that part with you.

Know that we share your pain...charlie

SteelHorseCowboy
10-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Heard of a kid once that supposedly said she knows why dogs have short lives. Because they're born knowing how to love.

The dog we have now is by far the goofiest, most annoying, downright odd pest I've ever seen. He's also the best dog that's ever come into my life. He's my son's dog, got him from a rescue. Him and that boy treat each other like gold. He's about 4 we reckon, it'll be a sad day for us both when he goes.

He got in the road once while we were out and got clipped by a car. Just barely nicked. Scraped the backs of both "knees" and of all things, his anus. Not his butt, tail, but his butt hole. At first I thought some sick bastard had raped him. We took him to the emergency vet (right next to the Chinese buffet), and he said he'd definitely been clipped by a car, had bruises and sore spots all over, but no broken bones.

Talk about dedication. That poor kid (10 years old), gagging the whole time, wiping that dog's butt every time he pooped and doctoring it with some prescription ointment the vet gave him. That went on for about 3 days before I remembered I had some latex gloves.

white eagle
10-12-2016, 01:18 PM
so very sorry for your loss
it is so very hard some never can get by it
time does heal the sharp pain and the memories
will always be there
condolences

merlin101
10-12-2016, 01:22 PM
It is very painful losing your best friend, I lost both of my dogs this year. Maggie in Feb. and Merlin in Sept. with that so fresh in my mind I almost didn't read your post. But it does get better as the pain fades and it leaves the good memories. I had Merlin for 14 years and he followed me everywhere even mowing the lawn he walked along, no regrets just good memories. We just adopted a 12 week old pup and know that she won't take the place of any of our deceased pets but she already has found a niche in our hearts.

starnbar
10-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Had a blue tick 15 years he grew up with the kids and he would go in each bedroom to see those boys before he would come and lay on my side of the floor right next to my bed. I noticed he wasn't barking as loud or as long as he used to and one night after he made his rounds he came in and laid down drawing a long sigh I petted his head and went to sleep. He died during the night in his sleep I guess without much pain. I never had another dog like that .

Eddie17
10-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Sorry for your loss.

robg
10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Dogs are wonderful creatures life wouldn't be the same without them .some day I'm sure we'll see them again.

OS OK
10-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I've been thinking of this thread all morning, thinking of the special pets we have had and how much they loved us and us them...
When the wife or I was sick in years past, one of the cats would be in constant contact with us as we lay and rested...when one jumped down another, in less than a minute would jump up and cuddle, they would not leave us alone.
Our dog would be laying next to the couch or bed...it seems that they know much more than we give them credit for.

That's part of the unconditional love I spoke of before.

just thought I'd share that...I'm certain others have experienced the same thing.

Lloyd Smale
10-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I know the feeling well. Almost 2 months now since my best friend passed and I still tear up when I look at his pictures on the wall.

Wise Owl
10-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Dog, >> very sorry.

Julie and I have also shed the tears that come from loosing a Dog.
I guess it's no different what Animal you loose, if you love that Animal you suffer great pain.
I will never be convinced the feelings and the love ever goes away, I think our Lord lets it be tucked away in a special place in our mind.

Everything in this world visits with us for a certain amount of time, what we do with that time is up to us.

Sometimes I look at my little fur friends and say to myself, You know little dog's, I really love you, and I'm gonna try very hard to let you know that every day. Thing is they don't have to try, it's just what they do.

Sometimes I think, hey, instead of me trying to teach you something, I should be grateful for what you have taught me.

My dogs never tell me what a bad day they had.

Julie's husband

Sam

OeldeWolf
10-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Monday of last week, we had to put our dog, Snuffy, down. An extremely fast growing esophageal cancer. He was 10 or 11, a purebred English Pointer. My sister found him on the side of the road a year ago, about a week away from starving to death. We still expect to see him, on his place on the couch, or think we hear his toenails tapping on the floor or concrete.

Mytmousemalibu
10-12-2016, 04:21 PM
So sorry for your loss... I am well acquainted with the feeling unfortunately. At present time we have some family pets that live with my parents, 3 kitties to be exact. The loss of any of them will tear me up. We love them so much and they love us the same. Hard to hold back the tears just typing this... So sorry for you...

shooter2
10-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Having been through many times I can understand your pain. My sincere sympathy. A new puppy is the only way to lessen the pain.

tim338
10-12-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry. I had to put down my golden retrever Jack a few weeks ago do to cancer. I also recently got divorced. It's now pretty lonely around here..

Freightman
10-12-2016, 05:42 PM
It will be waiting at RainBow Bridge

9w1911
10-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone, her son and two grandkids are keeping me busy. Just sucks.

RED BEAR
10-12-2016, 06:56 PM
sorry for your loss i could not imagine anything happening to my two best friends.

Petrol & Powder
10-12-2016, 07:07 PM
I went through that recently and have gone through it several times in my life. I'm sorry for your loss and I know your pain.

My last dog was about the same age as yours and also had a large tumor. I wasn't about to put her through surgery and had to put her down to end the suffering. It is always one of the hardest things to do.

It helps to remember that you gave your dog the best life possible.

odinohi
10-12-2016, 07:09 PM
so sorry for your loss. Completely understand.

rockrat
10-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Had to put both of mine down a few weeks ago. I still pass by the glass patio door where they would be waiting to be fed/petted or played with, and look for both of them. Tough to know they are not there

William Yanda
10-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Sorry for your loss. Treasure the good memories.

Sig
10-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I know the pain you're going through. Been there too many times.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kmw1954
10-13-2016, 12:56 PM
It is hard to lose a pet, we had to put down 2 this year also. Both we had for many years. Critter was our 19yo. house cat which we'd gotten as a kitten and Roscoe our 19yo. Sheltie. Poor Roscoe was going blind and could not hardly walk any more. I miss him the most. We still have a 4yo. Husky which we also got as a pup and he has reacted to his buddy Roscoe being gone also.

Ithaca Gunner
10-13-2016, 01:03 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/7_31_14-Dogs-Last-Will-Testament2_zpsi47zecdx.jpg

bensonwe
10-13-2016, 01:29 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dog this past summer and I still grieve. Dogs are more than dogs they can and most of the time are our best friend.

scarry scarney
10-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Like many others, I too feel saddened for your lose. Like you, I lost my "puppy" who was with me for 15 years. He nursed me through two different cancers, and a cardiac event. I still question myself, in his final care.

After grieving for about two years, I adopted a "pound puppy". Reading Ithaca Gunner's post has more meaning to me now. My "new" dog did inherit the bowl, the bed, the toys, the lap and my love.

9w1911
10-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Oh man last two days have been a blur, I skipped all errands the last two days and didnt work much. I have been looking for her, hoping to see her in her yard. I hope she visits me in a dream soon.
We have 3 dogs now, but one is 12, he is my best bud. Saddens me to know he is getting to that age.
I will adopt a shelter dog as soon as I am down to two.

Rufus Krile
10-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Lost our 10yr old Rottie on Friday 14th to a massive thoracic cancer that was restricting her breathing and heart function. Great dog. Trooper to the end. It's a blessing when you no longer have to hurt your best friend to take them somewhere... Every time we took her to the vet it broke my heart. We fixed her pain... but not ours.

osteodoc08
10-17-2016, 12:16 AM
God speed K9 friend.

Losing a pet family member is never easy. I had to put my old lab down after she had a large stroke. Hardest thing I ever had to do short of burying my father. My prayers and sympathy for the loss of your furry family member.

Ithaca Gunners post looks just like my lab, Scout

HABCAN
10-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Lord, please bless all these humans here who feel so much love for their loving dogs past and present. I know their pain. Amen.

Markbo
10-18-2016, 02:47 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. There seems to be a lot of this happening recently. Its hard. I lost my small boy dog in February a week from his 15th birthday. I am only just now starting to look for another and am concentrating solely on dog rescue operations. In time, I pray you will want to do that too.

buckwheatpaul
10-18-2016, 06:41 AM
9w1911, You have my sincere condolences. Dogs are our children since our own children have left to coop for quite a long time. My Princess, a 14 year old schnauzer, is slowing down and she has the normal old dog traits.....the vet was right, but that does not stop our own Monday morning quarterbacking of our actions.....love them while you have them....and love them after they are gone on to the Rainbow Bridge to wait on us.....Paul

tim338
10-18-2016, 08:32 AM
That is a neat poem. I just adopted a dog from a shelter on Saturday.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/7_31_14-Dogs-Last-Will-Testament2_zpsi47zecdx.jpg

9w1911
10-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone!

Ithaca Gunner
10-18-2016, 10:24 PM
That is a neat poem. I just adopted a dog from a shelter on Saturday.

Good on you, Tim. Thanks.

Blackwater
10-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Amen, Habcam! Losing people in our lives is plenty tough, but I'm not sure anything pierces our hearts any deeper than losing a beloved pet that looked to us and us alone for everything. It's so humbling and hurtful to know we can do nothing to help them survive, and continuing to just love us, no matter who we are or what we do. Nothing in life can replace that. We can find it again with another good dog, but fining really good ones isn't easy, and no dog ever quite "replaces" the ones we've lost. It's a very unique and singular relationship we have with our good dogs, unlike any other relationship we can know. No wonder dog is "god" spelled backwards!

Mad Jack
10-21-2016, 12:45 PM
I feel for you. I lost my very special girl to a tumor rupture. It still hurts three years later.

Mad Jack
10-21-2016, 12:49 PM
This sign was at my vet. Made me cry.

9w1911
10-22-2016, 04:46 PM
yea thanks again for the kind words everyone

Boaz
10-22-2016, 05:08 PM
It's hard to lose em . My sympathy for losing a good friend ....been there .

The Governor
10-22-2016, 06:07 PM
I didn't want to open this thread because I knew it'll be sad. My late wife left me with 8 pets and they're all gone now. I've moved on now but still it's rough

fortysomething
10-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Sorry for your loss. Its never easy too lose a furry family member. Our house has has had at least one dog since 1994, usually two. I can't even imagine a house without a dog. These threads always bring tears to my eyes.

JeffinNZ
10-23-2016, 04:04 PM
The pain you feel is the price you pay for unconditional love. Sorry to hear of your loss.