PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Navy front sight ??

Razor
06-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Anyone know how '51 Pietta front sights are installed ??

Are they pressed in ?? ...threaded ?? ...soldered ??:confused:

I'd like to replace mine with a taller one..

I want to bring my POI down and don't really want to file on the hammer..

Thanks

Razor
:castmine:

northmn
06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I have replace front sights on Navy's and believe they are soldered. As you will want to solder in a replacement try that first or file it off and drill out a hole to solder in the replacement. A 3/16 or 1/8 Brass rod can be turned down in a drill and made to make an unobtrusive looking replacement. You likely cannot file the hammer down enough anyway.

Northmn

kjg
06-08-2008, 09:21 AM
It will depends on maker, some are soldered ,some are pressed, and some are screwed in, I have run into all three, to find out gentally, use a pair of longnose plires, and twist to the left if it gives keep turning if doesnt raise up its pressed in then twist and pull ,if threaded thats self explainitory, soldered on it will not twist or move they are harder to work. kjg

Razor
06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks fellas,

Just thought I'd ask before I grabbed for the pliers..:roll:

Razor

Razor
06-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, I screwed that up !!!:groner:
It's pressed in...
Spins but won't pull out...[smilie=b:
I managed to scratch the top of the barrel too...:holysheep
I think I'm gonna grind off the stump and solder a half-a-penny on...:takinWiz:

Razor

crazy mark
06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Use and old wheat penny. New ones won't solder the best.

Wayne Smith
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
E-mail Pietta. They were very helpful to me a couple of years ago - more like 10, come to think of it!

KCSO
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Don,t mess around do what Wild Bill did, file in a dovetail and put in a new front sight. Then you can drift it fow windage as you file it down. You will like the blade 100% better especially in the bright sun light.

Razor
06-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I tried a new penny.. it turned to SNOT !! copper clad-something...

KSCO..
That sound like a fine idea..
IIRC, I seen a 'jig' or something for doing a front sight...though I can't remember where..
Any suggestions where to look ?? Midway ?? Brownells ??

May just give it a shot without a sight ?? (pun intended too)

Razor

northmn
06-11-2008, 07:14 AM
The dovetail is a good idea but needs to be shallow. You can buy brass strips for a project such as this at a good ACE store for very little. You do not need a jig. Drill about an 3/32 hole in the base and file a piece that fits in the blade and put them together and solder. File the dovetails on the longer peice of the base before assembly and cut it off as it is easier to hold that way.

Northmn

Geraldo
06-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Custon builders don't generally use a jig, just go slow. If you screw it up, you can always cut off the barrel and have a hideout gun. [smilie=1:

KCSO
06-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Buy a brass base shallow silver blade front sight from either Upper Missouri or Track. You cut the front and rear of the sight blade flush with the base leaving a tall square post. Use the sight for a marker and scribe lines in the blue barrel and then cut well inside those lines 1/2 depth of the barrel making sever cuts close together . Make a safe file by grinding one edge of a 60 degree 3 corner file smoth. Then file the future dovetail down flush and slowly use the safe file to bring the sides of the dovetail out tillyou can just tap (TAP DARN IT!) the sight into the barrel. Then shoot and center the sight for windage and use a center punch to stake in place. Then cut the sight down for height anf shape as suits you. The first time yo do this it will be slow going but as you catch on you will be able to cut these about as fast as I typed this. If you want I am doing one of thse tomorrow and I can take some photo's.

Razor
06-12-2008, 09:45 PM
KSCO..

If you want I am doing one of thse tomorrow and I can take some photo's.
YESSS !! Oh pretty please !![smilie=w:

Geraldo; LOL...You ain't a lot of help, bud :mrgreen:! (Besides, I already considered that..)[smilie=1:
Custom builder, I ain't.. custom butcher -maybe:roll:

Razor

Geraldo
06-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Just trying to point out that all is not lost. :mrgreen:

I've seen pics of custom ML builders hacksawing a start for dovetails, and while it can be done, I think I'd end up with an inch less barrel.