PDA

View Full Version : Moving Sucks. Moving Overseas Really Sucks!

nicholst55
10-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I guess it's my own fault - I am a Department of the Army civilian employee, currently stationed at Yuma Proving Ground, AZ. I have a number of FREE ranges available about 11 miles away, including a 1,000 yard rifle range. Lots of empty desert to hunt coyotes in, etc. So, I applied for a job in South Korea - a nice promotion; they offered, I accepted. So, I start looking through all of my highly valuable stuff - you know, guns, gun parts, project guns, accessories, ammo, brass, powder, primers, bullets and boolits, etc. - the stuff that I can't take with me (the stuff my wife calls junk). I decided to minimize the amount of stuff that I'll have to store, and have been having small moving sales as we sort through everything. So far I've sold tool boxes, vises, an air compressor, some primers, my brass tumbler, a sizeable amount of ammo (that I can nowhere near replace with what I sold it for, even if it were still available), etc. I'm even trying to sell my two primary reloading presses! I've found that a lot of people WANT my stuff - they just don't want to PAY for it! As soon as I mention 'moving,' they figure that I'm giving the stuff away! And then there are the guys who agree to buy an item (or many items) and then never show up. I figure that they had to ask SWMBO for permission, and were turned down. Or they're just tire-kickers.

I haven't posted anything here because I don't want the hassle of shipping it. The nearest post office is 20 miles away, and they're not open on Saturday. The nearest post office that's open on Saturday is 35 miles away. Anyhow, I never realized that I had so much stuff! Stuff that I'd forgotten that I had! Stuff that I'll never use! Guess this is an excellent time to declutter, as they call it these days.

corbinace
10-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Just in case you did want to sell stuff here, there is really no need for a post office trip. Go online and order some flat rate packaging that will be shipped to your doorstep for free.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=free-shipping-supplies&categoryNavIds=shipping-supplies%3Afree-shipping-supplies

Once you have the packaging, you can go online and print the postage and tape it onto the Flat Rate packaging and drop it in your mailbox. Or you could drop it (prepaid and addressed via online, of course) in the mailroom at work.

Easy peasy, and way safer than a bunch of yahoos at your doorstep.

Mytmousemalibu
10-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Alternatively you could if you wanted list the items you are selling and either arrange flat rate pick up or set a sell by date and make one and only one trip to a post office at a specified date and make it a doozie.

dverna
10-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Good advice given.

William Yanda
10-11-2016, 06:21 PM
PO will pick up any priority rate package, not just flat rate boxes. Handy as pockets on a shirt as the man says. Just google USPS pickup request.

376Steyr
10-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Does your PCS move not include HHG (household goods) storage in the CONUS for the stuff that won't go to Korea? Granted, you can't store powder, primers, and the like, but you could keep your tools. I'm assuming you are a Federal employee, and not a contractor. Look into "non-temporary storage" in the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), there should be a weight limit based on your grade.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-11-2016, 06:49 PM
SNIP...
I've found that a lot of people WANT my stuff - they just don't want to PAY for it! As soon as I mention 'moving,' they figure that I'm giving the stuff away!

Gee, I have those same friends :-?
Last year when I decided sell the majority of my Gun collection, I called everyone I could think of, who were into guns. Many Low ball offers, Many of them "I'll glad you pay you Tuesday for that rifle today". After dealing with many of these friends, I chose to list 'em on a auction. Then, of course, after I started advertising, I had some friends I hadn't thought of contacting and they were all saying, "I would have paid you double of what you were asking" :veryconfu
.....Yeah right <sarcasm>

jonp
10-11-2016, 06:51 PM
It does suck that you are getting rid of your stuff. We have a number of members in the AZ area although not in Yuma. Did you consider asking for help from one of them in selling and shipping your stuff to other members here in exchange for a cut or just out of the goodness of their heart? I'd help someone else out like that and since your selling the stuff on this sight the selling price is right there for everyone to see

jonp
10-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Does your PCS move not include HHG (household goods) storage in the CONUS for the stuff that won't go to Korea? Granted, you can't store powder, primers, and the like, but you could keep your tools. I'm assuming you are a Federal employee, and not a contractor. Look into "non-temporary storage" in the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), there should be a weight limit based on your grade.

For a civilian contractor? I don't think so but I don't really know the answer. I'm assuming that since he didn't mention it then they don't.

nicholst55
10-11-2016, 10:33 PM

Yes, my PCS move includes non-temp storage if I so desire. I am a DOD civilian, authorized around 18,000 pounds of household goods. Problem is, if you never want to see your tools again, put them into non-temp storage. After 20 years of active duty and another eight as a DOD civilian, I have learned the hard way about non-temp storage.

I haven't looked into Priority Mail pickup yet but in this instance, I sriously doubt if it would happen. YPG is relatively isolated - about 25 miles from the city of Yuma. Mail is picked up and distributed to our PO boxes (NOT to the house) by our mail clerk, another DOD civilian. The USPS does not come out here, so most likely I would have to make the trip(s) into town to ship anyway. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do so.

If everything goes according to the current plan, I will be leaving here the day before Thanksgiving for a couple of weeks leave, and then reporting to Korea on December 12. Having to ship household goods, a car, and move out of our current home (surplus government housing) before then, doesn't leave a lot of time for multiple trips into town to ship stuff.

bruce drake
10-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Congratulations on the new job and promotion if no one has sent you that note at least!

shoot-n-lead
10-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Well, they say..."Two moves are good as a fire"...for some reason.

fjruple
10-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Gee, I have those same friends :-?
Last year when I decided sell the majority of my Gun collection, I called everyone I could think of, who were into guns. Many Low ball offers, Many of them "I'll glad you pay you Tuesday for that rifle today". After dealing with many of these friends, I chose to list 'em on a auction. Then, of course, after I started advertising, I had some friends I hadn't thought of contacting and they were all saying, "I would have paid you double of what you were asking" :veryconfu
.....Yeah right <sarcasm>

JonB--

I had the same this happen to me. I just quote a former Congressman from Philly. "Money talks Bullsh*t walks" You had your opportunity to be honest with me.

--fjruple

Idaho45guy
10-12-2016, 07:55 AM
My dad Winters down in Yuma but won't be there for another three weeks or else I'd refer you to him... He's up at elk camp near the Idaho/Montana border now. I'll be up there with him in about 8 hours.

Petrol & Powder
10-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Well, they say..."Two moves are good as a fire"...for some reason.

There's a lot of truth in that statement.

NavyVet1959
10-12-2016, 08:52 AM
So, I applied for a job in South Korea - a nice promotion; they offered, I accepted.

Osan?

Bent Ramrod
10-12-2016, 09:15 AM
I've never had a problem using a rental storage locker, at least for tools, machinery and other non-perishables. This was in a climate as hot and dry as yours, and the Stuff was in there for five years or so.

The Stuff was well-covered and all that happened was that it "gathered dust," as the WTB ads have it.

Pick the right storage locker business. The one where the proprietors live on the premises. The renters have to ask them to unlock a gate for access. The proprietors who have a bunch of half-starved dogs roaming the aisles between lockers when the place closes for the night.

I sympathize with your travails. All that Stuff that gives such pleasure becomes an unbearable burden in a move. It's like that circle in Dante's Inferno where the miser gets all the gold he's hoarded all his life melted and poured down his throat.

My move here was my last one, for better or worse. I just don't have another move left in me.

MT Gianni
10-12-2016, 09:42 AM
USPS still ships free boxes to PO boxes, you have to pick them up at the window during their open hours and stand in line to mail them. In our old house we lived too close to town so they would not deliver. No at 7 miles from town we get better service. Life in a small town.

376Steyr
10-12-2016, 11:59 AM
"Yes, my PCS move includes non-temp storage if I so desire. I am a DOD civilian, authorized around 18,000 pounds of household goods. Problem is, if you never want to see your tools again, put them into non-temp storage. After 20 years of active duty and another eight as a DOD civilian, I have learned the hard way about non-temp storage."

Good to see you know what's available for you. I was afraid you might be a first-time DoD mover, and were being poorly served by your personnel office.
I did the NTS thing twice, with minimal problems, but I've heard horror stories. When I my overseas tours, I was able to leave my guns with relatives, and I stashed the rest of my shooting stuff in a U-Lock-It storage unit.

nicholst55
10-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Osan?

Daegu/Taegu; actually Waegwan (a suburb); Camp Carroll.

nicholst55
10-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Congratulations on the new job and promotion if no one has sent you that note at least!

Thank you, Bruce!

fatelk
10-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Daegu/Taegu; actually Waegwan (a suburb); Camp Carroll.

My aunt lived in Daegu for many years, teaching English. She loved it there.

snowwolfe
10-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Korea is cool, for a little while, lol. Good food, especially the kimchi.
On another note why sell all the stuff? Just rent a storage locker and store it until you move back.

NavyVet1959
10-14-2016, 01:28 PM
When I've spent time overseas, it's the little things that I miss... Depending upon the country, things like, American mustard, American ketchup, A-1 sauce, Tony Chachere's seasoned salt, Dr. Pepper, Texas BBQ...

I was in the UK earlier this year and was making a hot dog. Went to grocery store and got some mustard. Turns out the English mustard is a LOT different than American mustard. I like a lot of mustard on my hot dog, so I slobbered it on as usual. The English mustard is more like the Chinese mustard that you put on egg rolls along with sweet & sour sauce. If you treat it like American mustard, you are in for an "awakening experience". :)

I wasn't that impressed with Korean food though. The beef is too fat -- it's like it's the beef version of pork bacon. And I'm not a veggie person, so I have no desire to try kimchi. There was this one street vendor outside of the gates to Osan that sold very good fried shrimp (tempura, I think). Even with just salt on them, they were good. With American ketchup it would have been even better. I seem to remember the ketchup over there being a bit more watery and lacking some in flavor. Kind of like if you were buying a really cheap bulk discount ketchup here, I guess.

Ironnewt
10-14-2016, 07:00 PM
The big problem with the rental storage units is eventually the rent you pay is equal or more than the value of the stuff you store . Good luck in your new position and be careful.

nicholst55
10-15-2016, 02:35 AM
If I planned to return to Yuma, I would definitely consider storing some of my unshippable stuff in a storage unit. However, I don't plan to return to Yuma. The plan is to stay in Korea for five years, until I retire. We intend to have located a house in Texas by then, and move there when we leave Korea. That's one reason that I'm storing my stuff with old, old friends in Texas.

Re: food in Korea. Korean food is an acquired taste, but after being married to a Korean woman for over 40 years, I am somewhat accustomed to it! With the commissary on base, you can get all of the more common American condiments that you like. I probably won't be able to find Tapatio brand hot sauce there, so I'm shipping several bottles. Kimchi comes in an almost unlimited variety, made from everything from cabbage to green onions to cucumbers; it's a valuable source of iron and other vitamins and minerals. It's also pretty tasty!

farmbif
11-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Best of luck with your future endeavors. moving all the stuff we acquire sure does suck. I know because I'm 1 year in the middle of a move myself. Pickup and trailer load after load. But I could never afford to replace all the toys and tools I have acquired over the years and hope to put many of them back to use after moving. These are the two trains of thought when moving, get rid of everything then move and try to replace it or just forget about those passions/hobbies or to move everything.

leeggen
11-06-2016, 10:30 PM
One time I bought a house next door to me, and only 150 ft from one door to the other. After that move I think I would rather move across the ocean than just next door. Moving is hard and having to store things is even a bigger headache to go along with it. You sir have my blessings.
CD

bruce drake
11-06-2016, 10:49 PM
The few times I've been in South Korea, the people and the country reminded me a lot of growing up in Maine. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could purchase about 20 acres near the Southern Coast (South Jeolla Province)