PDA

View Full Version : bench rests

ubetcha
10-11-2016, 07:40 AM
What type of bench rests do shooter use. I have been using a tripod style forend rest and a bag rear rest. I have been thinking about getting a bag style. It looks as though it would hold the rifle better than trying to balance it on a tripod and rear bag set-up. Now I'm not saying that I'm a good rest shooter either, but it seems every time I fire, the rifle doesn't return even near it's prefired position. I wind up having to reset the forend position and put it back on the rear bag. Having the rifle falling off every time doesn't help with accuracy. I'm sure that this is due to my inexperience in use the rest properly. I have tried holding the rifle tight and loose against my shoulder and do not torque the rifle sideways with my trigger hand when squeezing the trigger. Most of my shooting in the present has been done with my T/C Contenders with a 12" and 14" bbls in the creedmore position for IHMSA silhouettes. I would like to get more rifle shooting in the mix.

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Half Dog
10-11-2016, 10:07 AM
I have a Caldwell in front and a sand bag in the rear but my rifle doesn't settle to the prefired position after the shot. I'm looking forward to hearing others input.

dtknowles
10-11-2016, 11:01 AM
One size does not fit all. A lot depends on the Gun and in particular the stock. The picture below is a Cadwell front rest that has different inserts to match the fore end. This one has a clamping action with thumb screws to adjust the tension. The stock is flat on the bottom and sides and the sides are angled. To get a smooth repeatable sliding action the bags need to be powdered or chalked. It will return to shooting position quite repeatablely not need to rebab the gun just a little pressure on the rear bag to adjust the point of aim. With a sporter stock and heavier recoil more tweaking would be required. The front of this stock is flat as well and the rest has a bumper stop that fixes the most forward position.

Tim

Doc Highwall
10-11-2016, 11:09 AM
dtknowles, I have been using a plastic sandwich bag on my front and rear bags to make it nice and smooth sliding. With the two layers of plastic bag one side can stick to the rifle, and the other side can stick to the bag, leaving the two layers of plastic to slide against each other. Give it a try I think you will like it.

dtknowles
10-11-2016, 12:11 PM
dtknowles, I have been using a plastic sandwich bag on my front and rear bags to make it nice and smooth sliding. With the two layers of plastic bag one side can stick to the rifle, and the other side can stick to the bag, leaving the two layers of plastic to slide against each other. Give it a try I think you will like it.

Thanks for the idea. I might try it with one of my wood stocked rifles but this smooth fiberglass stock is slicker than a plastic bag.

Tim

popper
10-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Expect to re-aim every time. I carry 2 5# weights to hold the caldwell in place plus a small towel to reduce friction in the cradle. Assume the stand/bag is to hold the weight while you aim - they also somewhat control the recoil axis. The real problem we fight, especially with the slower loads we shoot. I'm finding my shoulder (recoil absorber) has more to do with accuracy than the stand.

jmorris
10-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I built mine after a thread here. As you can see in the video it doesn't move around and you don't have to hold it, the rifle was aimed before I started recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng39ce3Ii_w

And made a few changes since the video above so it is "one size fits all".

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/Rest/IMG_20161006_170240_637-1_zpsfnepdzp5.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/Rest/IMG_20161011_100941_851-1-1_zpsdglabdy2.jpg

jmorris
10-11-2016, 12:37 PM
This is not a "benchrest" but also holds the pre aimed rifle on target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69j-ed-VBBE

It too will work with pistols.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160129_102652_106-1_zpsgm5afbha.jpg

telebasher
10-11-2016, 01:43 PM

Try using a little talcum powder on the leather rests. My guns just slip back and forth effortlessly.

jhalcott
10-11-2016, 01:54 PM
For a "bench rest" I have used a number of types. From stacks of sandbags made from shot bags, to pedestal types to Bulls Bags. For varminting I use a sturdy tripod and a "2POINT REST" that I bought commercially. IF the table (or tripod) is not stable, the gun will not be as accurate as you want. The bullsbag seems to snuggle around the rifles stock and hold it for the shot. Recoil from larger caliber guns WILL move every thing on the table. So realigning is needed after each shot. on smaller calibers I tend to "PINCH OFF THE SHOT. This means no or minimal shoulder contact with the gun and my thumb against the back of the trigger guard and my index finger on the trigger. IF the sights/ crosshair is correct, I pinch finger and thumb together! Then realign for the next shot. Doing this has allowed me to take a couple 400 yard ground hogs(2 point rest -tripod and pinch)!

ubetcha
10-11-2016, 06:06 PM
For a "bench rest" I have used a number of types. From stacks of sandbags made from shot bags, to pedestal types to Bulls Bags. For varminting I use a sturdy tripod and a "2POINT REST" that I bought commercially. IF the table (or tripod) is not stable, the gun will not be as accurate as you want. The bullsbag seems to snuggle around the rifles stock and hold it for the shot. Recoil from larger caliber guns WILL move every thing on the table. So realigning is needed after each shot. on smaller calibers I tend to "PINCH OFF THE SHOT. This means no or minimal shoulder contact with the gun and my thumb against the back of the trigger guard and my index finger on the trigger. IF the sights/ crosshair is correct, I pinch finger and thumb together! Then realign for the next shot. Doing this has allowed me to take a couple 400 yard ground hogs(2 point rest -tripod and pinch)!

The two types of trigger release I have been experimenting with are, pinching the trigger as you described and laying my trigger hand along side the stock. Both style do not seem to torque the rifle when squeezing the round off. I do have a flat piece of aluminum with some plastic attached just for the use of a tripod front rest. I bought from Sinclair (Brownell's) for that use. I guess I should start using it and see if it works. I'm shooting a 30-06 with cast at approx 1600 to 1800fps. But that fps is an estimate though

tazman
10-11-2016, 08:15 PM
I use a front swivel mounted bipod and rear bag on my varmint rifles. On the ones without a bipod, I use either a front bag or a notched board support that has a folded towel over it to cushion the gun and keep from scratching the stock.

I had never considered the pinch method for trigger control. I may need to try that and see how it works for me.

jmorris
10-11-2016, 11:05 PM
For trigger control, the rifle doesn't move at all with this setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vpDm1bpey4