PDA

View Full Version : duplex loads

txkeeter
10-10-2016, 01:44 PM
can duplex loads be used in 38/357 with goex ffg if so would tight group work

justashooter
10-10-2016, 03:00 PM
if you are trying to get black powder smoke with less fouling, then the answer is yes. normal load in 357 to base of bullet with 158 SWC is about 18-20 grs 3F IIRC. I would use 3 grains tite group on primer and 10-12 grains black with Dacron pillow stuffing over to keep things in original position, and try it over a chronograph in a strong revolver, looking for pressure signs like primer flatness and cratering around the firing pin indentation. it's hard to get most black to go over 16KSI, and 357 guns and magnum primers were designed to work up to 35KSI, so safety is not much of an issue.

lots has been written about using a full case to base of bullet when working with black. this gives most uniform pressures, but when you go mixing the two the need for full case is abrogated.

I shot 3F in 357 in a Marlin 94 and in a new model Blackhawk 30 years ago just for fun, there isn't much smoke, because you aren't burning much powder. revolver velocity with 18 grains in a 357 case was around 900 fps with 158 SWC.

bigted
10-11-2016, 06:24 PM
i have shot a bunch of 22 grain loads in my Colt Army 5.5 inch with the lee 158 grain semi wad cutters and there is plenty smoke from it. i have never duplexed it tho so wouldnt know about the smoke in those. i use 4227 IMR for my rifle duplex loads and use a straight 10% of a full load as well. also i have used the old adage of 1 grain smokeless is equal to 3 grains BP. so if my load holds true then 2.2 grains 4227 IMR in the case first ... covered with 19.8 grains 3Fg blackpowder ... only if you were to go by my standards of 1 to 3 equation then it would be more like this ... 2.2 grains 4227 IMR followed with 15.4 grains 3Fg blackpowder.

sounds interesting and i think i will need to attempt this load for myself and report back my findings as well.

do NOT use this load in your revolver. this is just me thinking outloud ... i am going to try it but remember the old adage ... begin very small in a UN-known load and build up to a usable load. also use a modern revolver of known great condition.