PDA

View Full Version : 9 mm load data

truck
10-09-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm getting cross eyed looking for something that probably doesn't exist. I'm looking for specific proven data where I don't have to second guess anything. Just a normal everyday cartridge like you could buy off the shelf at the gun shop, but made with these ingredients.

Titegroup powder
cast powder coated Lee TL 356 124 2R boolits
any old case will do
CCI 500 small pistol primers

I've been searching this site and loading manuals and can't get an exact match, there's always some variable, weight or shape of boolit, seating depth or my powder not listed.
I'm new to reloading and I want to keep it safe.
Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for? Is anyone loading this particular combination and can tell me how much powder and COL? Just a plinking load is what I'm looking for at the moment just to get me started loading.

NavyVet1959
10-09-2016, 05:50 PM
The OAL might end up depending upon your particular firearm.

I would start out with the SAAMI max OAL of 1.169" to see if that would chamber while still leaving enough of the base of the bullet in the brass to be securely held.

The Hodgdon site for a 124 gr bullet uses a 1.150" OAL though. It also has 3.6gr to 4.1gr of Titegroup for a velocity from 957 to 1057 fps and a pressure of 27,700 to 32,700 psi.

If you are just poking holes in paper, start with the lowest powder charge and SAAMI max OAL and as long as your gun cycles, you are good to go and your pressure will even be less than they state since you are seating longer.

Yodogsandman
10-09-2016, 05:55 PM
truck, welcome to the site!

Being new to reloading, the first thing you need is a good cast boolit reloading manual. I suggest both the 3rd and 4th edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. Get a good jacketed bullet reloading book while you're at it, like the Lyman #49. A reloader doesn't just start loading at the end. You work up loads from the listed starting loads to be safe. Be sure to read the whole manual a few times to make sure you get it.

You've chosen good components. Seat the boolit depth to YOUR pistol using the "ker plunk method" shown in other threads. That will ensure the boolit will function right in your firearm. Don't take any loads given on the internet for granted! Find them in a published reloading manual somewhere. Then, don't trust that either and find it in another one, too. My very first loads were worked up to over pressure and it was listed in a manual. I stopped shooting them because I saw the signs of over pressure from the photos shown in my manual. Glad I started at listed starting loads! Later, I found that all the other manuals listed those maximum loads as a full 2 grains less. Be aware and be safe!

You can use jacketed data but, be sure to start at the starting loads for that weight boolit.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

WebMonkey
10-09-2016, 06:08 PM
I use 3.5gn of titegroup with that projectile.

truck
10-09-2016, 07:36 PM
The Hodgdon site for a 124 gr bullet uses a 1.150" OAL though. It also has 3.6gr to 4.1gr of Titegroup for a velocity from 957 to 1057 fps and a pressure of 27,700 to 32,700 psi.

I see that boolit is hollow on the case end thereby increases the case volume and I don't know if that is going to cause a problem if I use the charge they show.

truck
10-09-2016, 07:40 PM
WebMonkey...What is your OAL? If it doesn't over-pressure for you it should be OK for me too.

NavyVet1959
10-09-2016, 08:12 PM
I see that boolit is hollow on the case end thereby increases the case volume and I don't know if that is going to cause a problem if I use the charge they show.

With a minimal charge like that, I would have no problem using that loading. A solid lead bullet also generally has less pressure than a jacketed bullet given the same powder charge.

http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Swagman00/media/20130217_112527_zpsc893277e.jpg.html

That is the Lee loading page that comes with their 9mm dies. For a 125 gr lead bullet, it shows 3.6 gr to 4.0 gr of Titegroup with a 1.125" OAL.

As long as you are working at the bottom of the load range and an OAL greater than the OAL specified in the recipe, you do not be concerned with exceeding the pressure. Depending upon your particular firearm, it *might* not fully cycle the action on a semi-auto. You would have to decrease the load quite a bit in order to get to the point where the bullet got stuck in the barrel on a handgun. I've loaded revolvers down to 300-500 fps and not had a problem with any of the bullets getting stuck.

WebMonkey
10-09-2016, 08:59 PM
WebMonkey...What is your OAL? If it doesn't over-pressure for you it should be OK for me too.

Cycles a 1911 and a glock 26 but just won't cycle the blackhawk convertible.
;)

truck
10-09-2016, 09:01 PM
I made 3 dummies @ 1.169" and they kerplunked just fine and also manually cycled through the S&W M&P9 just like they were made for it.
I have a good starting point now, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

truck
10-12-2016, 12:46 PM
I tried three recipes and they all cycled the gun and showed no signs of over-pressure.
I'll be using 3.5 grains and 1.125" OAL for a while, till I learn how to hold and shoot a handgun.

igolfat8
10-30-2016, 09:21 AM
You did not state what length your barrel is, which does matter? I shoot powder coated 120 Lee TC which actually weigh 123-124 grains with my lead mix. I shoot these from my Glock 34, with a 5.5" threaded KKM barrel and Carver 4 port comp. This configuartion requires a hotter load to work the comp. My load for shooting falling steel plates is 3.8g of TiteGroup at 1.100"OAL. Its a very accurate load but has some snap. If I shoot his same load from a shorter barrel its quite snappy. The shorter the barrel the lighter load that's required to cycle the (lighter) slide, so keep that in mind. If you get a chance, pick up a pound of WSF powder. Its a GREAT 9mm powder with a much softer recoil impulse than TG.