PDA

View Full Version : Matthew's aftermath

Blackwater
10-09-2016, 03:24 PM
First off, please accept my sincere thanks to all of you who so diligently prayed that we'd be spared the worst that Matthew promised to offer. Many got hit pretty hard - hard enough to be devastating for many, many folks who are still in need of your prayers.

Here, about 50 mi. inland from Savannah, we only really got fringed, but even at that, power lines are down and at my home, we just got power restored at about 10:00 am. this morning. We have only one tree down, though many lost branches. No pines, maples or cherrys got downed in the back of our yard, and I'm very glad of that. No windows blown out here either. I've got to get a kit in my old chain saw so I can cut up the tree for firewood. It's a Bradford pear, and was a very pretty tree, but now, it'll make us some firewood. We'll burn the limbs and leaves.

I bugged out early Thurs. a.m. and spent the night in a motel above Macon and west of Forsythe. All the motels along I-75 were filled up, and upon getting that far above Macon, being an old quail hunter, I figured if the "birds" weren't where I was hunting, I probably needed to go somewhere else and try, so I headed west at Forsythe to Barnesville, a small town with one seedy motel and one decent one. Got a room for $66 which was about 1/2 price from what they were getting along the interstate. Very nice small town and many others were there running from Matthew.

My wife was bound and determined she was NOT going to leave, and nothing I could say or do would make her come with me, and the last thing she tried to dissuade me was to say "You're not actually going to leave me here by myself are you?" I told her, no, I wasn't, I was offering her to come with me, and if she stayed, it'd be HER who was determining she'd be staying alone. She chose to do that and I bugged out. A man with my health problems simply doesn't need to stick around and possibly require saving if it got bad, and when I left, the storm looked to be hitting inland further than I felt comfortable in dealing with, and prognostications were it'd pick up speed and strength from the Gulf stream on its way north. Yesterday, she said if we ever faced that situation again, and I was bugging out, she'd be going with me. I guess she learned a lesson in contrariness.

Thankfully, we only got fringed by it here, but most power lines were still downed, and few places had power to pump gas. I topped off my tank the first chance I got on heading home. 3 convenience stores were open on the outskirts of town. One lady in line to pay had a bag of ice, and I thanked her for reminding me that I needed to take some home. She smiled and said she was sorry to tell me, but hers was the last bag in the place. She and a man had been heading to the back to the ice bin, and he was going to take both bags, but relented and gave her one.

And folks, this is by FAR the biggest lesson I learned in all this. It was amazing how cordial, polite and accomodating and helpful folks were almost uniformly in the whole affair, from beginning to end. It was a revelation to see folks and how they conducted themselves through it in 99.9% of it all. It didn't matter if folks were black, white, Mexican, or whatever - everyone was smiling and cordial and very much thankful for whatever they were finding. I was humbled and very pleasantly surprised by it all. A spirit of "we're all in this together" seemed to prevail, and it was really something to see. It was as if folks had finally put any differences among themselves aside, and FINALLY just dealt with folks as just plain folks. Helpfulness, cheerfulness, and positive attitudes prevailed. It's amazing how very serious threats bring folks together, isn't it?
I just wish we saw more of this attitude when not so direly challenged. It was truly an inspiration and an unexpected (probably wrongly on my part) thing to see. I was definitely moved by it all.

One pecan orchard nearby lost 30 or more trees, some totally uprooted and some just cracked and blown down, but all a total loss for production. Most, though, were still standing, though most of the pecans, green or otherwise, were blown off. I didn't notice a lot of obvious crop damage, but watching traffic and listening to the radio intently, probably missed it. Crop damage isn't always obvious, because most plants are limber enough to lay down in winds and then straighten up when the high winds pass.

Trees were down starting a little below Macon, even across I-16, but someone had cut them so that they no longer obstructed traffic. Only anomaly I noticed on I-16 was a short section that narrowed to one lane instead of two going west (actually NW) and there was no obvious reason for that. Could have been a work area and they simply didn't take down the cones, but folks just slowed down and obeyed the cones, whatever the reason may have been. Folks just found the wherewithall to be very practical and pragmatic, and suffered whatever was before them with good spirits. Again, another source of satisfaction and reassurance that the human race CAN rise to whatever situation faces them. This has implications well beyond dealing with a simple hurricane, if we'd but put it to use.

Unfortunately, I've heard now of 2 deaths in our community/county. One, the son of a good friend and one of the real pillars of our church, lost his life when he struck out in his car after the storm had passed, wanting to see what damage has been done and assess what he might do to help, and a large tree fell on his car, and killed him. He'd just been married to a sweet and very pretty blonde only 2 weeks before! Yet one more reminder that tomorrow is NOT promised to ANY of us, no matter what our stage in life. The other was reported to be a wheelchair bound man not far from here. A tree fell on his home and killed him inside.

People in this area have been "protected" after a fashion by our locale inside a "pocket" that seems to guide hurricanes from hitting us, at least usually. And we only really got "fringed" by it this time, but the devastation is still significant, though it could have been probably hundreds of times worse than it has worked out to be this time. We haven't had a hurricane hit here in about 120 years, so nobody has any real clue about what a real hurricane hit really is, and folks seem to be talking about how "hard" we were hit here. They ain't seen nothin' yet!!!!

At breakfast in a Waffle House about 10:30 a.m. Friday in Forsythe, the place was packed, and they seemed to have a double shift cooking to deal with the volume of folks needing to eat. They had a real scramble behind the bar as they scurried about trying to keep the food flowing. And they took i tall with a great sense of humor and spirit, and were working themselves VERY hard to keep folks fed. This was inspiring and heartening, as was the spirit of the folks waiting to be served. and this was @ 130 miles away from the hurricane! I took an open seat at the bar and ordered ham, eggs and coffee, and allowed myself a nice serving of grits - something usually off my menu, but I figured I might need the energy that day, so ... BOY! Were they EVER GREAT! I miss my grits SO much!

The first guy I sat next to was named Joe, and we struck up a conversation. He was an old Viet Nam vet like myself, and I later found out he was 77 years old. He surely didn't look it, though his face was very weathered. He ran a place on St. Simon's island adjacent to Brunswick down south of my home, and taught sailing, flying and survival. He showed me a pic of his place, complete with dock and a number of slips for his boats, and the pride he had in it and what he did came through very strongly. It was taken from the air, and was beautiful. He said he'd received info that the whole place just wasn't there any more, swept away by Matthew's forces. His attitude toward it was ... I don't have the words. He was very fatalistic about it. No wrath towards God or "nature." Just thankful he was still here, and able, even at 77, to at least partially rebuild. It was obvious he had a great passion for flying and sailing (which explianed his weathered facial features) and was obviously someone I'd trust (especially with his background) in a survival school. His attitude was one of cheerfulness, mixed with the obvious sorrow for his loss of course, but one of .... I guess you'd have to call it indomitability. He finished before I did, and gave me his website address and I plan to contact him when I figure he's not consumed by rebuilding and all he'll obviously be facing.

The next guy was a 50ish strongly built black man with a graying scruffy beard, very neat and "squared away." We talked as well, and he was local, and had a great attitude toward all the folks cluttering up "his world" there. I found out he was ex-Army, and his wife was currently deployed in the Nat'l Guard in dealing with the hurricane. He was a very calm and low key kind of guy with a great attitude and spirit. He was a Christian too, and my mention of the Lord's grace in letting it not come inland more met with an "Amen." We didn't get to talk very long, but enough to realize we were kindred spirits, and we left both being glad, I think, that we'd met. I had to give my seat to others who were waiting.

So all in all, there's damage here, even with only what amounts to a fringe hit, and some friends still don't have power yet in their locations. I passed 14 electric trucks, most Ga. Power, but some "Orion" and I couldn't read where they were coming from. All the power companies from several states are moving in in the aftermath to help restore power. It's amazing to see how well this country and this people CAN, when we simply will, "adapt and overcome." And it's been a truly inspirational experience for me. There's a lot more inspirational stories I could tell, but no need to take up any more web space here. Just know that folks are a LOT better and more capable and rational than we sometimes give them credit for, especially when they're facing or aiding in dealing with a serious threat. This has always been our greatest strength, when we can simply bring it to bear on whatever is before us. Give folks a chance and a reason to unite, and they STILL will, and we can do it in a truly inspiring and humbling way.

So generally, yeah, there's been some damage, but nothing folks can't deal with. And as usual, you won't be able to tell what's REALLY going on from what you see on TV. The folks that TV covers are almost always those who are whining and moaning the loudest. Just know that behind all those weak and ineffective folks are a LOT of great folks just doing whatever needs to be done, and making a better place, even for those who complain so loudly and long. THOSE are the ones who ALWAYS matter the most, and they'll likely be neglected because they simply don't have the time to stop their work to talk to TV people. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

That's the report from my little area. I know there's a lot more here who have been affected. I'd like to hear what's really going on behind the TV cameras, too. Most got hit far harder that we did here in my little nook of the world. Chime in when you get back on line, and have a moment to let us know what you're dealing with, and some stories about the inspirations you've observed in your section would be very appreciated, I know.

Once again, thanks to all who prayed for grace in this event that has affected so very, very many folks along the east coast. And it ain't over yet, by a long shot, so keep those prayers coming, folks! They matter.

Wayne Smith
10-09-2016, 04:18 PM
We got our power back on about three hours ago. Cool here, I started a fire in the fireplace and it feels good. We had 10-15" rain and gusts to 75mph last night. Lot of small stuff down, and this AM we were out of power and unable to get out due to streets flooded and water fountaining up through the holes in the man hole covers and a tree down in one direction. Neighbors cleaned up the tree, we got out about 10:30, went to see our best friends and they had about four feet of water in their street last night. Fortunately their house is about 7 feet above street level. We had lunch and came home. Church was cancelled due to road conditions.

We had the kids and grand kids over for dinner - they live in Pocoson, VA across the James from us. They got almost nothing.

Boaz
10-09-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm glad you all didn't have heavy damage . Prayer out to all affected in the storm .

MaryB
10-10-2016, 01:10 AM
As bad as things can get people still let their good sides shine. Winter of96/97 here and the floods after saw everyone pitch in to help. That was the winter that buried ranch style houses in drifts and collapsed roofs. People were helping shovel roofs off as much as possible but some of the remoter houses didn't make it because getting to them was impossible without a snowmobile. Following spring I was on communications duty as a town near me saw the river rise 30+ feet above flood stage. Everyone pitched in to sandbag even though it was very dangerous to be near that current that was 25mph!

DougGuy
10-10-2016, 01:27 AM
18mi to the north of Raleigh, NC and we got very very lucky. Lots of rain and some wind but I had a majestic old Willow Oak cut down in front of the house as it was diseased and a big part of it facing the house was very iffy. Good thing it was gone as you never know when they will split off and 12-18 tons of oak come crashing down. Not many houses can stand up to that much tree.

The danger now is our watershed. We have 4 river basins in our area that got significant rain upstream and now those rivers are seeing historical flood crests as the water moves toward the Atlantic ocean. Water is going down in areas where the rain fell hardest, and is rising rapidly in areas downstream so the worst for some people has not yet begun!

Personally, one of my hot pepper plants lost a branch loaded with Red Sovina peppers, and another plant blew over. Our lights flickered once about 12hrs after the storm ended I am sure they were working on the grid to cause that.

I am very thankful to be where I am at now, we have been spared the brunt of damage in several hurricanes and most of the snowfall misses us on a regular basis. We are at the northern end of a stretch called the Piedmont which is an area about 150mi wide between the foothills of the mountains and the flat sandy coastal plains running from Roanoke Rapids, NC parallel to the coast, all the way into Alabama.

We have near unbearable humidity in warmer months, but don't much worry about wild fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods, drought, bugs, clowns or zombies.

Prayers for those much more burdened by Matthew, there are some communities that will really need help when help can get to them.

Blackwater
10-10-2016, 11:49 AM
God's been SO good to so many of us. I'm still waiting to hear from the folks here who got the brunt of Matthew to get power restored and find the time to get back and report. They're still working in Chatham Co., where Savannah is. I heard 80% of the whole county was out of power, and the authorities were just letting folks back into the area yesterday. It is one unbelievably HUGE job to clean up after these things, and it's very humbling to see so many folks lose so much, and yet, keep their heads and spirits high even after things like this. It's as inspiring and reassuring thing as I've ever seen, with the possible exception of some of the things that happen in wars.

God bless us all, as he's surely blessed those of us who were spared the worst of it. Truly humbling, but maybe that's why the Lord allows things like this to happen anyway - just to keep us mindful of our place in the grand scheme of things, and more appreciative of all he's so graciously provided for us normally. Praise almighty God for His grace in it all, and so much more!

Blackwater
10-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Just found out some bucket trucks from Arkansas came here to this area, so just want to send out a salute and thanks to you from AR. It's amazing how the states help out when one or more has trouble like this. My DIL spent over a wk. in LA & MS after Katrina, living in a tent, etc. Thanks to you folks in AR whose power bills helped them be here in our time of need. It matters.

leeggen
10-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Our power guys went to Fl. and got home yesterday. I kind of wonder why they didn't come up to Ga. and help out. Guess their time limit was up and needed to get home. Hope they do send them out to help the coastal people. Glad everyone was safe from the hu. but now all the rain is flooding again/more. Best to all
CD

Blackwater
10-13-2016, 08:54 AM
I haven't talked to my DIL a lot about these things, but they apparently have a pretty highly organized routine for dispersing the trucks and linemen out where they're needed most. They seem to have very good communication, no matter what the weather or other conditions. I wish our gov't ran so well! Since 9/11, our firefighters have become more recognized for what they do, but our linemen are still back in the shadows, doing an awesome job, even under the roughest and most challenging conditions. God bless 'em all!

garym1a2
10-13-2016, 09:12 AM
States have plans for these storms. Florida has a lot of experance and has the trucks pre-station just outside the storm zone. Once the storm goes thru they deploy the trucks.
Other states like Goriga dont plan as well. Two days before the storm I went to the West coast. I seen trucks all over the place near Gainsville.

Our power guys went to Fl. and got home yesterday. I kind of wonder why they didn't come up to Ga. and help out. Guess their time limit was up and needed to get home. Hope they do send them out to help the coastal people. Glad everyone was safe from the hu. but now all the rain is flooding again/more. Best to all
CD

Blackwater
10-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Ga. may not have planned well in the past, but that's pretty much over. My DIL is on one of the teams and they get directions on where to go, and they're pretty well organized. They go by the grids, and prioritize according to helping the most in keeping folks provisioned and provided for as best they can. The local Wal Mart either never lost power, or was one of the first ones restored. This made sense because so many really hadn't stocked up like they needed to or what they had was damaged, so keeping Wal Mart open allowed many who needed stuff to get it. I can't imagine any state not having pretty good plans now for dealing with these things. It's very reassuring to know they're so willing and able to deal with things when the bad things happen, and that other states also help out when it's one's own turn "in the barrel."

I'm proud of our local folks, too, who do so very much of the cleanup. Old rednecks with a little brown stain down their cheeks due to the tobacco juice, run up on a tree across the road, and they don't call for help, they just go get the chainsaw from the back of their beat up pickup truck, crank it, go to work on the tree, and roll it all out of the way so they and everyone else can get by it. And then they just ride off. If you thanked them, they'd think you were crazy! They'd probably say something like "Well what did you expect me to do, just leave it there?" They're used to dealing with things that aren't like they want them to be, and just handle them as a matter of course. I love those folks! They can be, in many instances, some of the most inspiring folks you'll meet. Anyone who can't appreciate them just isn't thinking right and just plain doesn't understand them.

Blackwater
10-13-2016, 11:16 PM
In some more inspiring developments as the cleanup continues in my little area of it, is at the Christian thrift store/food bank that my wife runs (the store side anyway), they've had folks come in and contribute cash for them to distribute as they see fit and needs be. One man came in and donated $2000 of his own personal money. Another $500. And there have been many smaller donations and they've added up fast. These help cover folks who have nowhere to sleep, and all manner of things that have come up. Donations to the food bank have been exceptionally generous. A local "cattle co." donated 500 lbs. of sausage to the food bank, and donations are flowing in almost beyond their ability to handle and distribute them all.

It's really inspiring, and the media doesn't cover stuff like this, unfortunately, which adds to the cynicism in the air and the haughtiness, rather than the simple appreciation of how many truly good folks there still are in this great land of ours. The inspiring things just keep on adding up, but don't look for this on your TV. They have their mikes in the gutter and the election, but there's a LOT going on despite that. Just thought a little inspiring affirmation might be welcome here. I'm sure it's going on wherever the storm hit. Post whatever you can so that folks can know how great so many of us still are when we need each other's help. It matters when we at least know this stuff is still going on, and the world at large is NOT like they try to make it look on TV. Chime in with the things you've seen. It matters.