PDA

View Full Version : Lee 102gr .356 bullets in cz P-09

TheGageinator
10-09-2016, 12:24 PM
I am having an issue with some Lee bullets in my Cz p09 9mm.i am using the model 356-102-1r mold. My boolits are coming out to the right specs.

My boolits will not chamber. Even with an OAL of 1.050. I have to seat them down to 1.030 for them to chamber.

This puts 0.566 of the bullet seated into the case. Will these just not work for my P-09? I have no problem loading them in my cz82 for. 380 acp.

Thanks!!

Here is a video and picture: https://youtu.be/MEGM8uc1NYU

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/gageissocool/Guns/20161009_111544_zpsxhzc7kdh_edit_1476030144859_zps kwemjyr3.jpg (http://s536.photobucket.com/user/gageissocool/media/Guns/20161009_111544_zpsxhzc7kdh_edit_1476030144859_zps kwemjyr3.jpg.html)

Tatume
10-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Do they shoot well when seated to where they will chamber?

Have you tried sizing them 0.356" or smaller?

If so, do they shoot well when sized to where they will chamber?

HeavyMetal
10-09-2016, 01:53 PM
I have no experience with this boolit or mold but it looks like it has a lot of bearing surface above the lube groove, add this fact into the thought that a lot of CZ are "short chambered" for Jacketed bullet loads and that may be your problem.

You can switch to a different mold, you can size smaller to see if that makes a difference, you can ask a gunsmith to adjust you "Leade" for lead boolits.

These suggestions are made with the understanding that you have checked the usual problems with thick case necks, poor taper crimp, and actually measured you boolits for diameter and are not just tumble lubing and loading them.

HM

PS
didn't realize you'd posted a video as well, watched it and it's obvious your bearing surface on this mold sticks way the heck out of the case!

Size these to .356 and adjust to pass the plunk test or seat deeper to pass the plunk test!

Be aware that the deeper you seat the boolits the higher your pressures will go! reduce powder charge accordingly and work back up using you final OAL.

By the way I saw bit of scrapped lead on the round that wouldn't pass your plunk test, suggest you chamfer you case mouths before seating boolits as this will also create a "ridge" on the case mouth causing the same issue.

I started using Lyman 11 Degree de burring tool and it works wonders for cast boolit loads!

TheGageinator
10-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I think you are correct about the bearing surface. That's probably why it works fine in the 380 acp.

gwpercle
10-09-2016, 04:25 PM
I was having the same problem with 3 different cast boolits , all sized to .357 , in two tight chambered , newer made , 9 mm's.
Solved the problem not by deeper seating the boolit but by applying more taper crimp . Kept applying more taper crimp until they "plunked " and the boolits were still tight in the case. The Lee crimp die , that came with the 3 die set, still is about 1/16 th inch short of reaching the shell holder.
On these boolits the die actually sized a bit of the exposed bearing surface down , thus letting them chamber.
Try playing with the taper crimp....I first set my taper crimp die with a factory round, then would slowly adjust the crimp die down, try a plunk, and was surprised at how much crimp had to be applied to get those .357 sized boolits to chamber....but I did get them to work.
Might have been easier to just use .356 sized boolits but I didn't have one...just .357
Keep working with the boolit size and die adjustment ...you will get it worked out.
Gary

TheGageinator
10-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Ah, that is a good idea Gary! I'll give that a try. I'm switching over powders tight now from unique to hp38. So I will be making a good bit of these to get a base line with my new powder.

Boolseye
10-09-2016, 09:00 PM
OK, looked back through the video. Let me ty to offer a more helpful post than before. Assuming your dies are all well adjusted, a), make sure that the crimp is sufficient, as mentioned before. .380" is considered standard, you shouldn't have to go much under that. Those bullets have always worked in my various 9mms seated fairly shallow, as well as .380s. It does sound like a tight chamber. As you noticed, if the rifling is getting engraved then the bearing surface is biting into the rifling and preventing the gun going into battery. .356" may do it. If so and the gun shoots them well, you're done. If not, then all is not lost. Slowly deepen the seating 'til it passes the plunk test. It doesn't take much to hang up a round on an auto loader, and that bullet is pretty forgiving for a couple reasons. It's light, it's short an it's a good feeding profile with its round nose. As long as you adjust your loads accordingly, lowering the charges a bit as you seat deeper, you're unlikely to create an over-pressure situation. As always, go slow and watch for signs of pressure, starting low and working up slowly in charge weight. The bearing surface does go high on that bullet and the bullet is not as tapered as most, you're right, but it's a tried and true shooter for many of us. I think you're on the right track. I haven't loaded it for awhile for my Lugers, but I do remember that it worked very well when I did. Actually, I just cast a few of that boolit after reading your post. Do you have the new model mold or one of the old ones? The old ones are a solid rectangular block with horizontal alignment pins along the bottom. -BE

TheGageinator
10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Sorry, I have gotten busy with a 597 and 10/22 build.

I will seat until It passes the good old plunk test, then measure and report back