PDA

View Full Version : New Single Shot Rifle Range Report

Johnw...ski
06-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I got out again today and shot my new hi-wall. I am having some trouble because the bore rider section of my Lyman mold is .005 over bore diameter.
So in order to chamber a round I have to seat the boolits really deep. I am also
getting some lead shavings which I also attribute to the mold dimensions. Those lead shavings certainly cannot be helping accuracy. I have ordered a Paul Jones
mold so when it shows up I should have a proper fitting boolit.

The attached picture shows an average group I have been getting so far, around an 1-1/2". The load was 27.0 gr. H4895 and a 335 gr. Postell boolit. I am finding better accuracy without a wad and these boolits have a hardness of 15.0 Bn.
I also mentioned I was seating the boolits deep, 27.0 gr. H4895 is a slightly compressed load.

John

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk166/JohnWski/FekenHi-Wall5ShotGroup6-7-08.jpg

leftiye
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
How is the size of the full diameter portion of the boolit?

EDG
06-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Got any details like cartridge?

Johnw...ski
06-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I always forget something, don't know how I remember by name.

Let me go check.

Yup, 38-55

Ted

Got any details like cartridge?

NSP64
06-08-2008, 08:44 AM
At what range were you shootin?

Doc Highwall
06-08-2008, 09:04 AM
The shavings are probably due to not enough flair on the case mouth. Are you using a Lyman M die.

Johnw...ski
06-08-2008, 09:41 AM
NSP64,

I was shooting at 100 yds. and that group was shot with a 20x Lyman Super Target Spot scope. I am not finding much difference in group size between the scope and the Baldwin iron sights which are exceptional.

Doc Hiwall,

The shavings are not coming from the case mouths, they were and are flared adequately. I beleive the bore rider is stripping when the round is fired but before the rifling engages the drive bands. Remember, because I have to seat so deeply there is an almost 1/2" jump before the drive bands engage. The .004 to
.005 oversize on the bore rider is engraving the rifling but just isn't enough to grip it at the start of it's trip.

John

Johnw...ski
07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Range Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got out to the range today with my 38-55. The boolits, from my new Paul Jones 335 gr. Creedmoor mold, were sized and lubed in a lyman sizer to .377 although that is what they cast at, the lube, White Label BAC.
The hardness around 9.0 Bn.

Tried two loads both 28.0 gr. IMR 3031 being lit with CCI BR2 primers.
The difference in the loads was one used an .06 vegetable fiber wad under the boolit. The OAL was 2.850.

I shot from a bench using front and rear bags at 200 yds. The load without the wad shot just under 3", the load with the wad shot just under 2", these were 5 shot groups, two for each load. Not bad accuracy especially for a new load, now to get it to an inch at 200 yds.

Interestingly, I had the same problem with two rifles, the bore rider was too big leaving lead shavings in the barrel when I pushed them hard. That was the reason for these two new molds. With the oversize bore rider both rifles shot better without the wads. Now, in this 38-55 the accuracy is better with the wad.
I am looking forward to see what kind of results I get with the 45-70.

John