PDA

View Full Version : Reducing loads when changing lot numbers of powder.

Bazoo
10-09-2016, 12:55 AM
How much does everyone reduce when changing lot numbers with the various powders, charges, and calibers they use?

Are there any calibers that you find are more forgiving in this area than others?

Is there any need unless you're working right at max?

If you're normal load is a middle/low high loading, do you still reduce and work back to it?

Do you weigh a volume of each lot to verify uniformity?
And if its right on, or very close, do you stillreduce and work back up?

Do you reduce the same amount with pistol, magnum pistol, and rifle loads?

shoot-n-lead
10-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Honestly, I shoot so few loads that are near max until I don't reduce my loads when changing lots. Most of my loads are middle of the road and unless there was a SIGNIFICANT difference in burn rate or consistency...it would not be an issue. And, I would have certainly shot some of the new lot in lessor loadings before loading anything that resembled a max load. With that said, I do not mix powders from different lots...I use all of one lot and start on the new lot. If there is a small amount of the old lot left...it goes in the flower bed by the door. Also, I do not put a bullet on top of a charge that I have not verified visually or by weight. The days of my blindly trusting powder measures, have long since past...regardless of brand.

However, I am familiar with the appearance and if it did not look right, I would investigate that.

NC_JEFF
10-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Same here, if I'm at max or very close I reduce 10% and adjust until I can repeat the previous performance or until I see signs of pressure. I don't change a thing on plinking loads between lots.
JD

fatelvis
10-09-2016, 01:24 PM
I also never shoot near max, so I don't download for new powder.

dverna
10-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Agree with the others. I do not shoot maximum loads so I do not worry about the slight difference that different lots of powder might have. But I do not use surplus powders and canister powders are held to tight specs.

Don Verna

JSnover
10-09-2016, 02:19 PM
What all of those guys said ^
I gave up loading near max years ago but if I ever do it again it would be smart to throttle back a little with a new lot.

MT Gianni
10-09-2016, 07:00 PM
3% to 5% of maximum loads. Once bitten, twice shy as I have a few j word cartridges that like to be pushed hard.

Hick
10-09-2016, 09:10 PM
I too am one of the "don't"s. I don't shoot near max loads and don't re-evaluate my loads based on lot number (same for primers). I don't think my shooting is precise enough for it to matter, and not being near the limits my firearms don't seem to care.

Greg S
10-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Bottlenecks and newly introduced.powders I'm leary of. Had a bad experiance.almost with 8208 in 5.56 pressure loads.

robg
10-11-2016, 03:46 PM
As the guys said don't go for max loads so no need to down load for new lot of same powder.I've never actually noticed a difference from lot to lot anyway.if you load to the ragged edge then it's probably a wise move.

Bazoo
10-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks for everyones replys with what yall do and dont do.

mozeppa
10-11-2016, 10:22 PM
rarely does any firearm shoot at it's best at maximum loading...yer just wasting components and missing the target at warp 9.

Bzcraig
10-12-2016, 12:18 AM
I'm in the majority of the responses as well..........

Iowa Fox
10-13-2016, 12:11 AM
This spring I ran into a new one on me. I had been looking for some H100V for a few months then finally found some at Bob's shooting supply. If you live in Iowa chances are you have bought from him. He had 2 1Lb bottles left in a case, all that he had left in stock and both were the same lot # and from the same case. I worked up a nice load and used my thrower when I started on the pile of empty brass. I ran the first lb out and refilled the thrower making no adjustments. For some reason I decided to check the weight on the scale and the second bottle of the stuff was throwing 3 tenths heavy every throw. I probably should have started at the bottom again since it was a top end load and I would be shooting in 100 degree temps but I was leaving for Wyoming in a couple days so I reset the thrower and let um go. After that I'm not going to trust lot #s as absolute.

Bazoo
10-13-2016, 12:36 AM
This spring I ran into a new one on me. I had been looking for some H100V for a few months then finally found some at Bob's shooting supply. If you live in Iowa chances are you have bought from him. He had 2 1Lb bottles left in a case, all that he had left in stock and both were the same lot # and from the same case. I worked up a nice load and used my thrower when I started on the pile of empty brass. I ran the first lb out and refilled the thrower making no adjustments. For some reason I decided to check the weight on the scale and the second bottle of the stuff was throwing 3 tenths heavy every throw. I probably should have started at the bottom again since it was a top end load and I would be shooting in 100 degree temps but I was leaving for Wyoming in a couple days so I reset the thrower and let um go. After that I'm not going to trust lot #s as absolute.

Did you check intermittently that that measure was still throwing the correct weight? From what you said, it sounds like to me that you may have had the measure increase the charge accidentally a little every throw for many throws until it was finally 3/10s over when you did check it. When you noticed, was the adjustment in the same position that it had been previously?

I hope all ends well for you with it.

Iowa Fox
10-13-2016, 01:16 AM
Did you check intermittently that that measure was still throwing the correct weight? From what you said, it sounds like to me that you may have had the measure increase the charge accidentally a little every throw for many throws until it was finally 3/10s over when you did check it. When you noticed, was the adjustment in the same position that it had been previously?

I hope all ends well for you with it.

Yes I did check maybe every 15-20 drops and the adjustment did not move. The 2 lbs loaded 300 pieces of brass and they were shot up within 10 days. All shot well in 100 degree temps in the sun with no signs of anything on the brass. Like I say, it was a new one on me but you can bet that unless the powder comes out of the same container I'm not going to assume anything after that experience.

Bazoo
10-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Wow, thank you for sharing. That is interesting for sure.