PDA

View Full Version : Dextrin in homemade powder?

Desertbuck
10-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Got a quick question for you guys that make your own powder. What I've got is I accidentally got my ratio wrong. Doh!!! found this out because my finished product burned extremely dirty. And I know what I did wrong. I use dextrin to bind my powder together. My question is if I mill the powder again will the dextrin already in the mix dissolve when I re-damp the powder to push it through a screen again?
Thanks DB

Freightman
10-08-2016, 09:15 PM
x
Make as mother batch with no dextrn then mix and rescreen.

Desertbuck
10-08-2016, 11:20 PM
x
Make as mother batch with no dextrn then mix and rescreen.

I ask simply because I didn't know if I was going to make it worse by remilling it with the proper ratios with dextrin that was already used. Never had to before. And I didn't want to add more dextrin because I know it will affect the burn rate to where It will be noticeable.
Thanks
DB

Nobade
10-09-2016, 08:31 AM
I would guess that milling that powder with the dextrin in it already would lead to a nasty, sticky mess inside your ball mill.

-Nobade

Desertbuck
10-09-2016, 09:40 AM
I would guess that milling that powder with the dextrin in it already would lead to a nasty, sticky mess inside your ball mill.

-Nobade

So far no issues with it sticking to the inside of the drum or the media. Comes out to the consistency of baby powder. I re-damped and screened a little bit and allowed a fan to blow on it all night and the granules are just as hard as before. Not to mention the powder burns with a nice poof now. :-)

rheagunman
10-09-2016, 09:56 AM
I made a batch where i put in double the amount of dextrin & it turned into a gooew mess. So i just set it aside. Last week i used that mess along with some left over sugar rocket mix to make some cannon fuse & it turned out pretty good. To see the video of it go over to the gulch & check it out. You'll find me as Rheagun over there.