PDA

View Full Version : 44 Rossi trouble

JohnH
10-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I have a 44 Mag Rossi '92. I enjoy the gun and am puzzling about hunting with it this season but the first shot is always 3" to 6" high and somewhat right of the remaining shots. (I generally load five and shoot 'em, repeat till tired) I can let the gun sit for an hour it'll do the same thing. When I first got the rifle it shot all over the place. The forearm was touching the barrel in about four places and was so tight on the magazine tube I had to use a hammer to bump it off. After sanding the forearm till it free floated on the magazine tube and didn't touch the barrel, the erratic grouping went away, but the first shot has remained flyer, high and slightly right of the group. While I can certainly use some Kentucky windage for a first shot, I really don't like doing so at live game. So I'd like to resolve the issue (if it can be resolved) Where to start?

knifemaker
10-08-2016, 05:30 PM
If that first shot is from a barrel that has been cleaned and oiled. It can throw the first shot. Either fire a fouling shot or run several patches though the bore to remove the oil prior to shooting.

Shuz
10-08-2016, 06:31 PM
If that first shot is from a barrel that has been cleaned and oiled. It can throw the first shot. Either fire a fouling shot or run several patches though the bore to remove the oil prior to shooting.

What knifemaker said is why I always leave my bbl fouled during hunting season.

JohnH
10-08-2016, 09:28 PM
What knifemaker said is why I always leave my bbl fouled during hunting season. I don't clean the barrels of guns I shoot cast through for this same reason.

hp246
10-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Are you changing your hand postions on the gun after the first shot? For example, after the first shot do you change the thumb position of your strong hand on the stock? Some shooters might have the thimb wrapped for the first shot, but when working the action allow the thumb to rest alongside the stock. Any variation or change in grip could be slightly changing your point of impact especially if the stock was so tight that it was putting pressure on the barrel.