PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1851, Uberti barrel compatibility

The Ozzman
10-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Howdy partners,

It has been some time since I have been on, have been busy as always. But I enjoy looking throught the topics and learning as I go.

I have been googling this for an hour with no real luck.

Wondering if the Uberti 1851 barrels will fit the Colt 1851 revolver? I am not too sure...

If this is not a suitable question for this section I do apologise, but wheelguns seemed like the spot.

Ozzman

Mk42gunner
10-09-2016, 12:19 AM
Original Colt? I think not. One of the second generation ones from the 1970's, maybe.

You might try asking in the muzzle loading section.

Robert

The Ozzman
10-10-2016, 05:18 AM
thanks Robert. Am I able to move this topic myself? Cheers

Oyeboten
10-10-2016, 01:41 PM
When does your Colt '1851' date from?

If it is a "2nd Generation", then, the Uberti Barrel assembly will probably fit, but, there may need to be some fitting to get it to fit right as for Cylinder/Forcing Cone gap, and how the Wedge is seating, and Arbor Depth 'bottom out'.

This guy would be familiar with this, and or he could do the fitting for it so it is right ~

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

The Ozzman
10-11-2016, 05:13 AM
The one I refer to is a first gen, I think 1850s.

I note that Dixie Gunworks list a replacement barrel for Uberti 1851s and Colt 1851s, with the Colt one being made by Pietta.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_434_435_440&products_id=1052&osCsid=tdriic8os9uk6c234ortugo9p5

You will note that in the reviews section, a fellow talks about how it fit his original Colt with some fitting.

Basically I have the opportunity to buy this lovely Colt 1851, but has a minor barrel split. I would like to have the option of using it on special occasions in the future, hence me looking for a replacement barrel that is not too hard to get.

Cheers
Ozz

Ballistics in Scotland
10-11-2016, 06:09 AM
Uberti have been making these guns a long time, and I wouldn't automatically assume that every Uberti barrel will be a perfect fit on every Uberti. However as to what is available now, Dixie do say it will fit original Colts, and here are their conditions on returns:

"GUARANTEES: All merchandise is guaranteed and returnable at any time provided it has not been altered, abused or worn out. However, for our guarantee to be valid, it must be returned by the person who purchased the item from us originally. You do not need a reason to return something - just write that you are returning it. Any damage claims due to express or freight transportation must be made by the receiver. Our guarantee is void if any alteration has occurred. Write first before returning defective or altered merchandise. We will not exchange or refund on any item unless the invoice for that item is enclosed."

You shouldn't be out postage if it is misdescribed as to fit. I don't know if you would get that back, but they are a long-established firm with a reputation, and I can't see you being out more than that.

Oyeboten
10-11-2016, 06:12 AM
The one I refer to is a first gen, I think 1850s.

I note that Dixie Gunworks list a replacement barrel for Uberti 1851s and Colt 1851s, with the Colt one being made by Pietta.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_434_435_440&products_id=1052&osCsid=tdriic8os9uk6c234ortugo9p5

You will note that in the reviews section, a fellow talks about how it fit his original Colt with some fitting.

Basically I have the opportunity to buy this lovely Colt 1851, but has a minor barrel split. I would like to have the option of using it on special occasions in the future, hence me looking for a replacement barrel that is not too hard to get.

Cheers
Ozz

Ahhhh...okay...

You know, spare or orphan Barrel assemblies for the Colt 'Navy' ( sometimes originals, sometimes Italian reproduction ) do come up on ebay now and then, and the reproduction ones probably sell for quite a bit less than the semi finished ones Dixie has.

These might require less fitting, also.

The Ozzman
10-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

I just needed to find out. I emailed Pietta and they said that they have "fixed a couple, but do not give garauntees". This was to the Eurpoean site, I am not based in the US. So I imagine they do fit, but with some mods required.

I have emailed Dixie, with no response, maybe because I am outside of the US?

It would be easier for my to buy a pietta 1851 navy here and use its barrel than import a barrel alone, probably cheaper too.

So, I will have a think about it. I really like this genuine Colt on offer, but may be easier to wait until one that is intact comes along.

What would you guys do?

Ballistics in Scotland
10-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Yes, Dixie say in their website that they won't answer questions. When I think of how much time die and reamer-makers have spent on me...

I try to imagine Samuel Colt looking down (if a frequent view of arms dealers is mistaken it would be down), and seeing present-day collectors preferring to keep one of his guns seriously damaged or scabious rather than reduce its originality. I once saw a Belgian cap and ball repaired by having a narrow crack in the barrel silver soldered (possibly after pressing narrower), and relined with a good, thick liner. I don't suppose that one had gain twist rifling to lose, though, and the barrel will need refinishing. As to whether a good job like that should reduce the value, my answer has to be "probably, unfortunately". But for sure, it is the first argument anybody you eventually want to sell it to will make.

If you are in Ozztralia maybe you could find someone with a recent Uberti to examine.

The Ozzman
10-12-2016, 05:55 AM
I just got a reply from Dixie....surprisingly....they claim that barrel, the Pietta is sold as fitting Colts. No more detail given.

I have a friend with two Uberti's but unfortunately the Colt on offer is some distance away, about 20 hours drive and all I have are photos.

I I have no doubts about the sellers honesty as I have done business with hime before.

The gun is beautiful, little bluing but nice patina, most of the silver is left on the grip and trigger guard, quite a bit of cylinder scene left, good sharp action. Clear address and roll marks. But a small bulge (barely noticeable in photos) and the fine crack in same place of barrel.

It is quite a bit cheaper than others in comparable condition here, and is better than some, bar the crack. As I mentioned I do want to have the option of turning it into a shooter if special occasion arises.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-12-2016, 06:20 AM
That all seems pretty good, and makes the replacement barrel a far better option than the repair I mentioned. The damage was almost certainly due to a bore obstruction, since even if you overload a cap and ball Colt (possible only with smokeless, most people say, though I wouldn't risk the very fine powders sometimes used as flintlock priming), the cylinder would go before the barrel. Most likely someone charged five barrels out of six, and the cap was enough to move the ball into the barrel.

I can see how you wouldn't want to rely on international shipping for that no-quibble return policy. I have a friend who imports suppressors from Finland. One arrived with the anodizing scratched, but he wasn't allowed to return it without an export licence, which he could only get if he showed the Finnish export licence. But as suppressors are or were uncontrolled in Finland, they had never issued one. So I got it free, for my air rifle. I would need special authorization to put it on a cartridge rifle or shotgun, which they suddenly started pressing eagerly into people's hands after decades of refusals, when they realised they could be sued for causing hearing loss. But you can walk into a shop and freely buy the same suppressor for an air rifle! Suppressor crime would be taking quite a hammering from all this, if there had ever been any.

The Ozzman
10-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Thanks Ballistics in Scotland.

I tend to agree, bore obstruction.

Just need to consider grabbing this one, or taking the chance and saving for a more expensive but ready to go revolver, and hoping it does not sell before then.

Interesting anecdote re; surpressors. Here they are near impossible to get, we can apply, but wont be granted a permit! But yes, importing and then attempting to re export is not cost effective here at all.

scattershot
10-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Could you shorten the barrel and make a pocket gun / snubby out of it while you are looking for a new barrel? At least that way you could shoot it. Seems a shame to pass on an old classic like that if it can eventually be fixed.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-15-2016, 07:22 AM
Could you shorten the barrel and make a pocket gun / snubby out of it while you are looking for a new barrel? At least that way you could shoot it. Seems a shame to pass on an old classic like that if it can eventually be fixed.

If you are willing to accept making a non-original gun of it, I think lining the barrel at full length is a better way to do it. Remember that the Colt has gain twist rifling, starting out at I don't know what pitch. Normally close to any pitch at all will stabilize a round ball, but with a shortened Colt barrel I'm not sure.