PDA

View Full Version : Zoli Zouave Musket and winged caps

49FMarlin
10-08-2016, 07:02 AM
how tight are the winged caps supposed to fit on the nipple?

If i put one on mine, and roll the rifle over it falls off,,,thinking its time for a new nipple,

Ive taken my nipple to the hardware store, and it fits BOTH a 5/16 and M8x1 nut,
so what Nipple do i buy from track of the wolf for replacement?

is it worth it to get the Number 11 nipple also? pro's and cons?

thanks

quail4jake
10-08-2016, 07:51 AM
That should be an 8x1M thread and yes Track of the Wolf is a great place to get a Treso cone for it. Don't bother with the No. 11, it's difficult to use and the musket lock is designed for musket caps. good luck.

RBak
10-08-2016, 01:03 PM
If the cap actually "falls off" you may have #11 nipple, instead of the musket nipple you should have.
I have never had any problems with musket caps using a musket nipple.
In fact, I prefer musket nipples on some of my cap locks because that little #11 cap can sometimes be a real bear with these old arthritic fingers, even when using a Ted Cash caper. A few loose Musket Caps in my bag, that I use my fingers to seat, is often preferred by me, but that is strictly a personal thing IMO.

Russ

Ithaca Gunner
10-08-2016, 01:16 PM
If I remember right, the Zoli-Zooies came with both a musket and a #11 nipple. As already stated, go with the musket nipple, preferably in stainless steel...and a spare mainspring while you're at it. Zoli springs weren't tempered the best.

KCSO
10-08-2016, 01:49 PM
The winged cps are slit on the sides and a slight pinch and they fit as tight as you want them to. Many of the guns had a #11 nipple installed so make sure you have the right cap for the nipple. And make sure you have a new nipple with the proper size flash hole as some of the early Itie nipples were almost bored straight through and gave you a self cocking gun.

bonza
10-08-2016, 07:52 PM
My Zoli Zouave takes the standard 5/16x24tpi nipples.

Hellgate
10-09-2016, 07:42 PM
The Zoli Zouaves had a spare nipple seated into the wood of the stock inside the patch box. If the rifles had the musket nipple installed then the spare would be for the #11. I have musket nipples in all four of my .58 rifles and the musket caps fit them all just fine. None will fall off if the rifle is inverted. I think Rbak is right.

bedbugbilly
10-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Many, MANY years ago, I switched out the standard "musket nipple" with an Ampco nipple that would use #11 caps in an original Barnett Enfield that I had in my collection. The main reason I switched it was because I was having trouble getting muskier nipple but did have access to #11 Remington caps (which were 25 cents a tin of 100). About the only musket caps that were readily available were the old Alcan musket caps which were sometimes "iffy".

At any rate, the #11 actually did work pretty well but as soon as I was able to get musket caps. I switched back to the musket nipple. A musket lock, in most cases, is a "heavier" lock - for want of a better word and it will hammer hard on a #11 nipple as opposed to a musket nipple. If you get caught in a bind - try it but IMHO, a musket nipple and cap is much preferable. A winged cap is much easier to "flick off" after firing.