PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a replica of the Sharps-Borchardt?

AbitNutz
10-08-2016, 02:20 AM
I find the Sharps-Borchardt a really attractive rifle. However, no one seems to make a replica and even if I could afford an original, I wouldn't shoot it...

I saw that Colt had one back it the 70's but they're not only as much or more as a genuine S/B, they're fragile and unreliable. I have also heard that they just look a like the S/B and not really a replica...

Anyone else?

Nobade
10-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Yep, made right here in New Mexico! Al is a great guy.

http://brcrifles.com/

-Nobade

AbitNutz
10-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Yep, made right here in New Mexico! Al is a great guy.

http://brcrifles.com/

-Nobade

I was afraid that would be the answer....note the "Prices start at $4,800.00"....start mind you.

country gent
10-08-2016, 12:42 PM
The Sharps Brochart is an interesting rifle and Ivelooked at a couple over the years and considered them. Ive also considered the reproduction 77 sharps reproductionn being ade now by C SHarps I think. I did scumb and bought a reproduction remington hepburn a few years ago. Long range rear tang soule and spirit level globe front, upgraded to fancier wood on it and pewter forend tip. Double set triggers also. Beautiful rifle in 45-90 and shoots like a dream. So I recomend you go for it and remeber every now and then the itch has to be scrathed.

405grain
10-09-2016, 03:59 AM
The Sharps Borchardt action is complex to manufacture. Some of the internal features of the receiver were created using a hot forging process, and are difficult to make economically using modern CNC processes. There have been a few companies that have attempted to resurrect the Sharps Borchardt, but all except BRC rifles have found it to be a cost prohibitive venture. The original receivers from the late 1870's were made from mild steel (the military versions weren't even case hardened). A modern replica, made from higher quality steel, would be even more difficult to machine than the mild steel receivers were. It simply costs too much to produce this action for it to be produced on a scale like the 1874 Sharps. Besides, even though this is a thoroughly excellent action, few people appreciate the engineering of it's internal workings, and there isn't enough of a demand for it for the manufacture to go beyond a boutique production.

marlinman93
10-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Not to mention the Borchardt is not legal in some types of matches, just because it doesn't have an exposed hammer. Seems a shame that a truly great antique rifle is not allowed simply because it lacks an exposed hammer.

AbitNutz
10-10-2016, 06:23 PM
It has a real allure to it. It looks very much like a fine English rifle...a genre that I really appreciate.

John in PA
10-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Not to mention the Borchardt is not legal in some types of matches, just because it doesn't have an exposed hammer. Seems a shame that a truly great antique rifle is not allowed simply because it lacks an exposed hammer.

The lack of an exposed hammer pretty much accounts for the poor sales and low production of the original Borchardts. By 1881 when the Sharps Rifle Company was on the ropes financially, riflemen of the day had not yet been exposed to hammerless guns. Most didn't yet understand or value fast lock time, and recognize that inertia of a heavy hammer fall can disturb fine aim. That modern riflemen do recognize the advantage conveyed by those very changes is, I believe, the reason why the Borchardts are disallowed.

John in PA
10-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Another maker of very fine Sharps Borchardt reproductions is Argus Barker, of Monarch Tool in Stevensville MT. Argus has been making theses rifles for somewhere near 40 years. I've been fortunate enough to acquire two of them from their original owners, a very nice Long Range in .40-90 SBN and a lovely engraved Hunter's Rifle in .45 Gov't. I'll try to add a couple more pics if I can get Photobucket to cooperate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/Entire3_zpsqcglgytp.jpg

EDG
10-28-2016, 06:21 PM
The lack of demand is the only problem. Modern manufacturing can do much more, much faster than the old processes. The problem is the SB design has a lot of competitors in the market place and not that many customers. For most replicas that must use wood stocks the stock is the most expensive component by far. In the SB receiver there is probably not more than 30 minutes worth of machining in a modern multi-axis CNC mill. So you could make 32 of them a day with one machine running 2 shifts. The problem is how would you ever sell 32 of them a day?

The Sharps Borchardt action is complex to manufacture. Some of the internal features of the receiver were created using a hot forging process, and are difficult to make economically using modern CNC processes. There have been a few companies that have attempted to resurrect the Sharps Borchardt, but all except BRC rifles have found it to be a cost prohibitive venture. The original receivers from the late 1870's were made from mild steel (the military versions weren't even case hardened). A modern replica, made from higher quality steel, would be even more difficult to machine than the mild steel receivers were. It simply costs too much to produce this action for it to be produced on a scale like the 1874 Sharps. Besides, even though this is a thoroughly excellent action, few people appreciate the engineering of it's internal workings, and there isn't enough of a demand for it for the manufacture to go beyond a boutique production.

marlinman93
10-29-2016, 12:13 PM
The wood surely isn't any big deal to add to the cost of making a Borchardt, as it compares to other guns? Considering the complexity of a 1874 Sharps inletting, they are far more work to inlet and fit than a Borchardt is, and there's plenty of those being built!
Wood is the most expensive component of any gun, so in today's market you are correct that high grade wood will be a huge part of any gun's cost!

AbitNutz
10-31-2016, 08:42 PM
It's still a beautiful rifle with an incredible heritage...I mean Sharps and Borchardt? What better pedigree could you have? it's as close to American royalty as you can get.

Bent Ramrod
10-31-2016, 11:52 PM
Borchardts really look like rifles should. Clean and functional.

Check with the guy on the ASSRA Forum yclept rafter3c. He works at BRC, makes an occasional Borchardt for himself and sells one now and then at prices somewhat below the starting price you quoted. Another good point is he tests them for accuracy before offering them for sale.

Over four grand is not out of line for a limited production or custom rifle any more. Check what a Nesika Bay, a Remington 40XS or a Dakota costs. Not to mention one of those modern handmade Kentucky rifle replicas.

country gent
11-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Even a Shiloh or CSharps done up with fancier wood sights and or drilled and tapped for scope blocks and a few other extras will be pushing that figure pretty hard too. A CSharps Hepburn is pretty close as it comes as is the 77 sharps now being made by the one. Get them with fancier wood and some show ( forend tip, special butplates, grip caps, double set or single set triggers, hand work finishes, special barrels ) These all add to the cost and also make the rifle much nicer to own. My High wall from CSharps with upgrade on wood, front spirt level sight, single set trigger, Case hardened steel butplate with checkering and rear sight mount ( I have enough sights here to use) and drilled and tapped 17" centers for MVA scope blocks was at $3000.00 with out the scope. WHile most dont consider these true custom rifles they are built to order and have alot of options, Having a true craftsman build just exactly what you want How you want isnt cheap. Im believe the Sharps actions block rails and cuts that were broached with special tooling now could be cut in a few minutes with a wire edm. From there would be fairly simple mill work. WIth the advantage of carbide tooling full flush coolants 4 and or 5 axis CNC machines the actions could be made from pre hardened stock saving warp and stress movements. The problem is the small shops doing this true custom work may not have this equipment to use.

marlinman93
11-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately almost all of the US made, high end well built single shots are in that $3,000-$4500 range today. Probably the one exception is a CPA, which is a little less, but can get up close if you start adding many options.
I wish this wasn't true, as I'd love to see them cheaper, but surely don't begrudge a company making what it takes to build these fine guns. I'd rather see them too expensive, than not see them available at all, or see poorly built clones. I still wish someone could revive the Ballard Rifle Co., as it's a shame there is nobody building them when we've got multiple companies building Sharps, Hepburns, etc. The market on used Cody built Ballard rifles is getting so crazy that they're bringing more than original Marlin Ballard rifles in some cases! I see them often going in the $3500-$7500 range as used guns!

smkummer
11-02-2016, 05:07 AM
I have 3 Colt/Sharps. 22-250, 243 and 30-06. Roller bearings used in the action and very smooth. Always goes bang and ejects. Modern calibers and no sights but with a Leupold 3-9 mounted. It feels modern compared to a H/R repro Officers model or a Remington rolling block with period sights.

EDG
11-03-2016, 02:14 AM
The shops that have the equipment to produce these rifles often work in the aerospace and semiconductor industries and will make a lot more money making parts that sell for $5000 per part.

Even a Shiloh or CSharps done up with fancier wood sights and or drilled and tapped for scope blocks and a few other extras will be pushing that figure pretty hard too. A CSharps Hepburn is pretty close as it comes as is the 77 sharps now being made by the one. Get them with fancier wood and some show ( forend tip, special butplates, grip caps, double set or single set triggers, hand work finishes, special barrels ) These all add to the cost and also make the rifle much nicer to own. My High wall from CSharps with upgrade on wood, front spirt level sight, single set trigger, Case hardened steel butplate with checkering and rear sight mount ( I have enough sights here to use) and drilled and tapped 17" centers for MVA scope blocks was at $3000.00 with out the scope. WHile most dont consider these true custom rifles they are built to order and have alot of options, Having a true craftsman build just exactly what you want How you want isnt cheap. Im believe the Sharps actions block rails and cuts that were broached with special tooling now could be cut in a few minutes with a wire edm. From there would be fairly simple mill work. WIth the advantage of carbide tooling full flush coolants 4 and or 5 axis CNC machines the actions could be made from pre hardened stock saving warp and stress movements. The problem is the small shops doing this true custom work may not have this equipment to use.

M-Tecs
11-03-2016, 03:29 AM

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!