PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits wins me a bet

kir_kenix
06-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Got a new mold real, real cheap from a friend who sold his .45 (traded 500 cast 9mm bullets for it). It's a Lee 452-228-1R. It was practically brand new, so I cleaned it up and casted about 1k boolits wednesday night and thursday evening.

Using straight WW's, they dropped at about 226 grs. One cavity dropped right at .452, the other closer to .453. Decided to be lazy, so I used LLA lube and sized in a .451 Lee die.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/kir_kenix/castboolits004.jpg

Loaded with 4.2 gr of bulseye, I figured this would be a very mild load in a fullsize gun. I ended up taking a good friend of mine to the range with me today, which always means that I end up providing 90% of the ammo. After confirming that this load functioned in several different pistols, I settled down and shot some slow groups at 25 yards. Very impressive (for me anyway) grouping out of my Sig.

Eventually my friend and I ended up getting into a sort of argument over cast boolits in general. He said they make lousy fodder for autoloaders, for a variety of reasons. He told me if they were cast hard enough to make it from the magazine, up the feed ramp, and into chamber that they will be too hard for the load and will badly lead the barrel and/or lead will get the gun so dirty it won't function. Back and forth we went for about half an hour before a bet was placed. We would fire a bunch of the boolits thru a pistol, and the loser had to clean all the guns.

Back to my house we went. Spent a few hours loading 800 or so of the boolits into mixed brass. Decided to use a Springfield Armory .45, mainly because it's reliable and between the 2 of us we have about 20 or so magazines that could be loaded at one time. When we were done, we drove back to the range.

I have to say that looking at all that ammo made me begin to wonder if the pistol/load could make it thru the test without a hickup. I was really wishing i had used a conventional lube, and I had choosen the more reliable sig for the test. I shouldn't have second guessed my self.

We took turns loading magazines and shooting; only taking breaks when the gun got too hot to hold or to inspect it. It really didn't take to long to drain the crate I brought the ammo in. We had 8 hickups along the way...but 6 of them were out of the same magazine so they were tallied out in the end. A bore-snake was run thru the bore every so often so the bore could be inspected for lead buildup when the pistol got really warm.

I'm proud to announce that the SA did very well. Besides not going into battery the 2 times that we counted against it, it was pretty much flawless with all but one mag. At about 400 rounds it did stop locking to the rear fairly regularly (once or twice per hundred), and at about round 700 it became unusual for it to do so at all. The pistol was down right filthy. The LLA lube is kind of smokey, and seems to get soot and film all over everything after a few hundred rounds. By the end, the slide had visibly slowed returning to battery, but it wouldn't completely choke up.

When we were out of ammo, we returned to my home and inspected the gun. I ran a brass brush thru the bore several times, and leading was very minimal. It was very, very, very sooty however. It took less then 5 minutes to clean the barrel to a shiny mirror finish that it started the day with. A couple of the magazines must have just barely bumped and shaved some bullets on their trip into the barrel, and some lead/lube had gummed them up pretty well.

I think I spent more time cleaning my hands then the gun.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/kir_kenix/castboolits014.jpg
Not the best picture in the world, but u can see the state of the barrel before cleaning.

My buddy is probably still scrubbing the guns from our outing, and I guess I learned something too. I expected that the gun would win our bet, but i didn't think that it would shoot so well for so long. I attribute that to the mild and unifrom ammo that we assembled. I don't think I have ever fired that many cast rounds thru a gun at one time without a cleaning before, and I expected a bit more leading and function problems. Perhaps this gun was the perfect choice, because of the 5,000+ jacketed rounds had smooted the bore enough to prevent any of the leading.

I had a ton of fun, and sent about 34 lbs of lead down range. I was really impressed all around with everything. The practically freebee Lee mold turned out to be a definate winner, and is a really easy to use mold.

PatMarlin
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
How much did ya win?

35remington
06-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Glad you liked casting and shooting the bullets with your friend.....but I can't help but think the reliability you recorded was dismal for a 1911. Most especially with roundnose bullets.

Mind if I ask what magazines you were using? What length were the rounds loaded to?

I own the same mould.

georgeld
06-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Although I don't own, or shoot semi's.
I've got a K 38 6" that has around 8,000 thru it since the last patch went down the bore.
No sign of leading at all, very clean and highly polished. The gun is wiped down after each session to get the smoke build up off, but, otherwise it's left alone.

All it seems to take to avoid leading is a smooth bore.

Here's a trick to save all that cleaning even if you have leading, plastic, or copper build up.
I'm sure there's other stuff that works as well.
But, I use Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner.
Load a brush with it, ten strokes, take a ten minuter break, ten more strokes and patch it clean. IF that don't do it all, run the system the same way a second time and it will be.

Soon as you're done and it's dry patched. Oil it good, if not it WILL attract moisture from the air and flash rust. Over night you'll be coming out here hunting me down if you haven't oiled it. Thing is, if you do forget to oil it up and it rusts. Just use the same stuff again and it'll clean that rust off. THEN oil it up.

Make sure you don't get any on the stocks as it'll take all the finish down to the wood. IF you've got an oiled stock and want to clean it real nice this is the stuff to use on that. Wipe it on, let it set, wipe it off. It will take the finish off like paint stripper too if you want to strip one and start over it's perfect that way too. For the price of $7-8 a tube you can't beat it for the use's its good for.

Wish you the best, glad those RN's worked so well.

kir_kenix
06-07-2008, 09:44 AM
PatMarlin:
We only bet on cleaning the guns. I don't think either of us would have been able to wager too much cash on something silly like that.

35 Remington:
My friend is a kimber freak, so I think about 10 of the mags were Kimber's, a couple of SA, 4 Wilson Combats, a chip Mccomick, a Caspian, and a few others. The reliability problems (6 of the 8 malfunctions) were solved by taking an 8 round Metalform magazine out of rotation. A couple of the mags (the kimber and the caspian), kind of have followers that are slightly bent up at the end, and they both ended up collecting a bunch of lube/dirt from the boolits as they left the magazine. Really gummed them up, but they kept working.
I didn't think having to tap the slide a couple of times in 800 rounds was too bad for a powderpuff load like this, but of course "realiablilty" means different things to different people. 4.2 gr bulseye loaded to 1.230 and ran thru the lee factory crimp die.

Georgeld:

I think I have some Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner somewhere. Got it, or something just like it, into the action of a Remington Nylon one time, and everything metal browned and rusted. Even the firing pin, crossbolts, and springs. I really like it on revolvers and disasembled automatic pistols where you can make sure its wiped up and lubed afterwards, but I try and keep it away from the semi-autos that are a pain to disassemble.

35remington
06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Kir:

Check your PM's.

Tom W.
06-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I traded for the same mold with Rick N Bama, and cast up and loaded a bunch, both for my .45 acp and my .45 Colt. The boolits look really good,altho I still haven't been able to shoot any yet. I think that they're better served with LLA, but that's just untested opinion.......

clintsfolly
06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
my RIA 1911 is at 750rds with out a cleaning other than wiping the outside off 225cast/5.3/231 luv my cast loads have fun clint

nicholst55
06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but something that Kir said got me to thinking. Maybe it's just me, but I wonder about the way some folks (not you, Kir, just some of the guys who frequent SOME forums) whine about how dirty their gun gets when they shoot it. You know the ones - 'Powder X burns really dirty. Can you recommend one that will burn cleaner in my XX pistol?'

Yup, you'll hafta clean that gun eventually. It'll probably take you 10, maybe 15 minutes. Gimme a break! Maybe its because of my military background (20 years in Army Armament, mostly Small Arms), but cleaning guns after you shoot them is just one of those things that you do. :roll:

BTW, Kir, 800 rounds of cast without cleaning isn't bad. I used to routinely run my 1911s for a minimum of 500 rounds of cast without cleaning - frequently more. Sure, you'll get some minimal lead shaving and bullet lube buildup, but a few drops of CLP on the receiver rails usually overcomes that. And definitely, don't overlook your magazines during cleaning. :-D

kir_kenix
06-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Ya i never understand why some people hate/complain about cleaning guns so bad. It's just another natural part of shooting...just like reloading that magazine or pulling the trigger. I had never put that many cast rounds thru an auto loader at one timer before, so I really didn't know what to expect.

Putting off cleaning your guns until next trip just makes them harder and harder to clean when its time to do so. I usually don't get too intense...just wipe off pistol and run a patch or 2 down the barrel of a pistol, but that makes it soooo much easier when its time for an extensive cleaning.

waksupi
06-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome aboard, Kir.

I don't really mind cleaning guns. It is when I have a half dozen out shooting at a time, that I can fall behind on it, and make it a chore. I hadn't considered just shooting one at a time! :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Ya i never understand why some people hate/complain about cleaning guns so bad. It's just another natural part of shooting...just like reloading that magazine or pulling the trigger. I had never put that many cast rounds thru an auto loader at one timer before, so I really didn't know what to expect.

Putting off cleaning your guns until next trip just makes them harder and harder to clean when its time to do so. I usually don't get too intense...just wipe off pistol and run a patch or 2 down the barrel of a pistol, but that makes it soooo much easier when its time for an extensive cleaning.

dwtim
06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
That's one of my favorites. It's a win-win if you have the right gun: the 45 ACP has mild pressures, so soft alloys work well, but if it accepts .452-sized boolits, it works just fine with hardcast too, (providing your bore is the same size as mine.)

I experienced FTFs too when I first started playing with the 452-228-1R, but in a certain magazine, and always the second-to-the-last round. Making sure the rounds are stacked right near the bottom made the problem go away.

Attached is a picture of the chamber in my S&W 45 after 168 rounds in a row. It was a load with the 228-1R over AA#5, sized .452 inch. The alloy was clip-on WW hardness, and I did not attempt to clean the gun at any time during, but did swab the bore (no boresnake or brush) and wipe it to try and get the tiny specks of lead to stand out for the photo. You can see that little bit of lighter metal at the start of one land and groove.