PDA

View Full Version : Hi-tek new caster

Scorpius
10-07-2016, 07:25 PM
So I smelted my first batch ever have about 120 lbs of lead. Next I bought my casting equipment and a probably light 8mm mold and again probably too light 7.62x39 mold which will probably be used for my 30 carbine.

Now while I figure out what sizers, molds, whatever else I want for these and other calibers i shoot, I'd like to mess around with trying my luck at PC. Figured I'd try dry prior to wet with acetone method first. I have about 300 cast so far.

Wondering if anyone has several colors maybe six that's just enough for me to try dry or wet methods on 50 each color. Let me know if you do I'd be happy to see if I have some brass you need that I can send you as a thank you .

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, I like to read but I also like to ask the same questions as it's been my experience that books sometimes are opinions or theory and real world experience shows a better way for equal or better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmerjim
10-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Do you want to Hi-Tek or PC (powder coat) They are not the same. If it is PC, Smoke 4320 sells a 4 1/4 pound assortment pack of PC powder. His powders are better than Harbor Freight. I only have red copper, and Zombie green in the Hi-Tek powders. My other colors are liquids. Both methods of coating bollets work great. Hi-Tek has a sharper learning curve. Any mistakes cause a failure, but once learned you can coat much faster than PC.

Scorpius
10-07-2016, 08:51 PM
See I'm learning more already. I thought it was all powder and some just mixed acetone. Whatever I end up with i want to have clean smooth finish, and should size down .02-.03 single pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk