PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays. My second favorite bird.

WILCO
10-07-2016, 11:24 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgp17srmW21qac6sjo1_500.jpg

therealhitman
10-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Awwwww. Nice pic. I am guessing Bald Eagles are your favorite too?

I was all ready to go off about how a Canadian team shouldn't be allowed to win the pennant in the American League. My bad.

johnson1942
10-07-2016, 01:14 PM
i also love blue jays along with many others. dont like eagles as they are on the look out for farm cats and i like my cats. my favorite but they dont have them where i live is camp robbers. its a peaceful joy to have a meal in the forest on a mountain and share the meal with camp robbers. they are a bold bunch but not mean.

Hardcast416taylor
10-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Is it true that when Blue Jays are properly prepared that they taste like chicken?Robert

gwpercle
10-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Is it true that when Blue Jays are properly prepared that they taste like chicken?Robert
To me they taste more like woodpecker or maybe more like squab !

slim1836
10-07-2016, 02:20 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgp17srmW21qac6sjo1_500.jpg

Let me guess, number 1 is REDBIRDS?

Slim

wv109323
10-07-2016, 07:55 PM
I dislike blue jays. They try to destroy my apple crop.

bubba.50
10-07-2016, 08:00 PM
my favorite bird is KFC.

dverna
10-07-2016, 08:01 PM
They are loud obnoxious pests. Drive other birds from our feeders

farmerjim
10-07-2016, 08:06 PM
my favorite bird is KFC.
Little Johnny's favorite bird

Our teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, “Fried chicken.” She said I wasn’t funny, but she couldn’t have been right, because everyone else laughed. My parents told me to always tell the truth. I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.
I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals very much. I do, too. specially chicken, pork and beef.
Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal’s office. I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.
The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was. I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken. She sent me back to the principal’s office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again. I don’t understand.
My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn’t like it when I am. Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most. I told her, “Colonel Sanders.” Guess where I am now...

daniel lawecki
10-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Very nice picture they are pretty.

bubba.50
10-07-2016, 08:12 PM
actually, if they warn't so expensive to buy in the gore-met stores, pheasant would prob be my favorite, and if they warn't so hard to come by in the wild it'd be grouse.

OptimusPanda
10-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Coincidentally blue jays are my second favorite as well. Right behind crows.

1911sw45
10-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Blue-jays are the tattle tales of the woods.

runfiverun
10-07-2016, 10:20 PM
actually wood pecker tastes like steak if you quick cook it in the fire and eat it while still sizzling.

DCP
10-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Very nice picture they are pretty.
My Grandfather hated them, said they are the meanest bird in the forest.
He killed many out side his back door.

sparky45
10-09-2016, 09:17 AM
I love Jay's as well, they make excellent targets. :mrgreen:

Plate plinker
10-09-2016, 10:30 AM
ditto

WILCO
10-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Let me guess, number 1 is REDBIRDS?

Slim

You nailed it!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Cardinal.jpg

GhostHawk
10-09-2016, 11:18 AM
I am with DCP, they can be very cruel. They can also be very entertaining.

Ask a sheep farmer. Baby lamb doesn't move fast enough a jay will be there to peck its eye's out.
Which inevitably means the death of the lamb and a feast for all the carrion eaters. Jays included.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-09-2016, 11:28 AM
I don't have favorites.
I like all the birds that come into my yard and eat insects and seeds from my garden. I offer them and the squirrels a small pool of water, but don't feed them via a feeder.

I willingly share about half of my tart cherry crop with the Robins...I really enjoy watching the 10 to 12 of them fight over what I leave in the top half of the tree. I also have some lawn/sidewalk ants, that will take flight a couple times during the summer...Hundreds of these winged ants will crawl out of the ground on a warm sunny evening and try to fly away...only to be ate by the Robins who are waiting close by, watching this event.

I like the humming birds (and butterflys), that partake in some of my perennial flowers.

I like the small sparrows or barn swallows that nest in the eves of my garage, mostly I see them eating insects in my garden.

I like the cooing of the mourning doves in the early morning, There is generally one pair of them in my area.

I like the Bats, that come out right after dusk to eat the mosquitoes, ...that'd be the mosquitoes that aren't killed off by the poison that the City feels they need to spray in the air, as the City truck drives down the streets of Glencoe.

I like the occasional visit of woodpeckers pounding on my maple tree, which has a dead/decaying section that must be full of insects.

A few years ago, there is the Owl that liked to perch on my TV antenna, I assume he was watching the many rabbits that are attracted to my yard to eat some of my plantings. The Owl broke part of my antenna, I suppose when he/she launched into flight? when I crawled up my steep roof to fix that, I lowered my antenna about 4' lower on the pole and mounted a short section of a large branch on top of the pole, for old Owlly to perch on...He has since moved on.

Live in Harmony my friends.

leftiye
10-10-2016, 05:08 AM
I like to watch my African Grey parrot.

WILCO
10-10-2016, 09:43 AM
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mabc53ed1791646b3c4c115445b76963eH0&w=299&h=215&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=African+Grey+parrot&view=detailv2&&id=9290CECC07DC1C1B8CCACEC039209A0300ED7A07&selectedIndex=4&ccid=q8U%2b0XkW&simid=608035162619971138&thid=OIP.Mabc53ed1791646b3c4c115445b76963eH0)

Driver33
10-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Blue Jays run my blue birds from my feeder . So they have lost their welcome at my house

bedbugbilly
10-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Great photos!

Boaz
10-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Old folks here called em butcher birds . They would catch lizards , small frogs , grasshoppers and stick em on the thorns of a mesquite tree to kill em and leave them for later .

Sur-shot
10-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I use blue jays like a squirrel dog. I stand next to a tree and listen for the squirrels and jays fighting over nuts, them I slip up on the squirrel with my 22 rifle and Mr Bushy tail goes into the frying pan.

Crows are my favorite birds for a good shoot. Cammy up real good. Put the decoys out, put the owl decoy out and play the dying crow call......They can not stand it, here they come. A little 32 inch 20ga Browning Ultra XS put to them and it is a genuine smack down. They run my wild turkeys and wild quail ragged all the time, harass, harass, harass, following them through the woods, stealing chicks, etc., but a few loads of 7 1/2 shot puts a stop to all that BS.
Ed

longranger
10-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Old folks here called em butcher birds . They would catch lizards , small frogs , grasshoppers and stick em on the thorns of a mesquite tree to kill em and leave them for later .Those would be Shrikes not Blue Jays.
My personal favorite for shear beauty Cedar Waxwings.

xs11jack
10-12-2016, 08:10 PM
I like crows and humming birds. The Nile Virus really put a dent in the crow population here in the middle America for a few years but they are coming back a bit.
OleJack

quilbilly
10-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Ditto. I occasionally take out the pellet gun with just one pump to back them off for the other birds. Its amazing how accurate that cheap pellet gun is at 30 yards.

TXGunNut
10-12-2016, 09:59 PM
I have some resident Kildee/Kildeer on my property. A few nest and hatch their young here each year. Keeps me on my toes when mowing, lol. Not many jays here but love watching the green jays down south, beautiful birds.

Must admit, at first I thought you were taunting Texas Rangers fans. They had an excellent season, Jays shut them down in the off-season with a sweep.

BAGTIC
10-19-2016, 01:44 PM
They steal pecans and kill baby birds including poultry. They are pretty though. They don't seem to have much effect on avian attendance at our bird feeders. Of course it is illegal to kill them unless caught in the act of being destructive. Can't shoot one today because some blue jay killed a chick two weeks ago.

tommag
10-19-2016, 11:45 PM
.Those would be Shrikes not Blue Jays.
My personal favorite for shear beauty Cedar Waxwings.

I used to love it when the wax wings would show up in the dead of winter to get drunk on the frozen fermented crab apples. A few dozen of them would make such a nice sound. Inevitably, several would fly into the closed windows. The cats liked that part.

Detroitdanm
10-22-2016, 12:42 AM
My mom had a tree in front of her house where for several years running a flock of birds decided to take up residence and **** on everything. Couldn't get rid of the damn things and finally cut the tree down. Now we have an overabundance of geese that have befouled a beautiful local park. I bought my house because it was within a mile of this park and in about a decade they have greatly diminished the pleasure of that beautiful place. Goose **** everywhere, in small numbers it was nice seeing them at first, in crowds they suck. I can now understand the feelings of a farmer friend who hates them with a passion. Truthfully these couple of experiences have greatly lessened my ability to appreciate birds generally, though individually as in your photo they are quite beautiful.