PDA

View Full Version : Sail boat keel ?

Johnch
06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Anyone know about how much lead I could harvest from the keel of a 24' sail boat ?

Some yuppe ran a few year old 24' sail boat onto the steel rip rap Monday night and riped out the side of it
It sank and was sitting on its side in 6 ' of water till yesterday sometime
They floated it and towed it into the marina not far from my house

Sunday I am getting with a freind that is into sailboats as to what I could sell as used parts

If he says there enough parts that would sell and there is enough lead
Monday I will call the insurance company to see if we can work out a deal for salvage rights , as I talked to the ajuster and they are totaling it

I figured if I could sell enough parts to pay for the salvage rights and maybe the cost of a dumpster
I could keep the lead and sell any scrap metal

John

GabbyM
06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Take note the price of lead is down to under $1.00 of late.

imashooter2
06-06-2008, 11:01 PM
And that sailboat keels are anything they can get to melt.

Johnch
06-06-2008, 11:17 PM

I know
But WW are not to be had in my area , unless you pay thru the nose for them
I was just hoping to get a bunch of lead to use
For a reasonable price
If I could break even with the costs and get the lead for the labor
I figure it would probely be worth it

I know
So I did a little test on the exposed lead with a Lee style hardness tester we have at work

The 2 places I tested were 13 and 14.5 BH
The differance could be different mix or opperator error on my part when I did the tests

As I was in a hurry to get back in the AC, 95 degrees or hotter , 80% humity , no shade , no breeze and I was cooking

John

twotrees
06-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Mine was an old boat and it was pure lead as near as I could tell. It dented easy if you donked a rock[smilie=1:

Mine was all wood don't know about newer ones.

Good Luck,

TwoTrees

JIMinPHX
06-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Take note the price of lead is down to under $1.00 of late.

Really? Where?

JIMinPHX
06-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Sailboat keels vary with the design of the boat. Some have a ton of lead (literally). Some have less. Some have none.

dromia
06-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Think I'd want to scrap some off first and see how it casts before putting any effort into it.

dmftoy1
06-07-2008, 06:43 AM
A few years back I placed a big order with keadbullets.com and was talking to the owner. He said that he had really good luck with sail boat keels. (was on his way to pick one up when I called) I've been looking for one ot play with ever since. (Sitting in the middle of a cornfield is not conducive to finding sailboats. :) )

Have a good one,
Dave

Geraldo
06-07-2008, 07:46 AM
I know
But WW are not to be had in my area , unless you pay thru the nose for them
I was just hoping to get a bunch of lead to use
For a reasonable price
If I could break even with the costs and get the lead for the labor
I figure it would probely be worth it

I know
So I did a little test on the exposed lead with a Lee style hardness tester we have at work

The 2 places I tested were 13 and 14.5 BH
The differance could be different mix or opperator error on my part when I did the tests

As I was in a hurry to get back in the AC, 95 degrees or hotter , 80% humity , no shade , no breeze and I was cooking

John

My wife worked with a guy who casts sinkers for deep sea fishing (the main competition in lead scrounging here in Florida). He was overjoyed when he got a keel, which was pure lead, but YMMV.