PDA

View Full Version : Herters press identification

metricmonkeywrench
10-06-2016, 08:41 PM
May have a deal going on a Herters press and shell holders. Any idea of model number and value?178298

salpal48
10-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Herters Model 81 Dual Drive
The model 81 is a Love or Hate press. I use it strickly to Double FL size . mainly 30/06 . Locking up both shell Holder is difficult without the special small size key. Value Depends where you buy and how bad you want One. between $100- $250.00
Saw one @ agun show For $50.00 and it sat. I have 2 and don't need another

metricmonkeywrench
10-06-2016, 09:38 PM
So, if I was able to the press and a Pacific powder measure with all the factory rotors for less than $50 it would be worth my time?

Pressman
10-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Get it, Get it, it will be worth your time. From the pictures the press looks to be in good shape, with plenty of shellholders, the Pacific powder measure is frosting on the cake.

The 81's have been going up in selling price on eBay for a year so there is some collector interest there, or is it curiosity interest. Like Sal says, you either love'em or hate'em. They are big and heavy and changing the shellholders is tricky or a total pain in the petunias.

Either way you won't go wrong.

Ken

salpal48
10-09-2016, 02:53 PM
If your interested in Old tools The M 81 Is a prize for The Herter's Collectors.. The only Limitation Of this press is The Bench You mount it to.
Sal

Oyeboten
10-09-2016, 03:14 PM
If there are any Herters Die sets in there for 9.3x62, and if you do not need them, let me know?

I have an Old Herters that is a massive Cast Iron Press but mine only holds one Die at a time.

On mine the Handle tends to flop down when at rest, and one has to watch out for that when walking by, Lol...

I tend to think of these old heavy Herters Presses as being for large long Rifle Cartridges, where one may as well go slow and really inspect every operation closely, as one goes...but, of course, they would work just fine for loading .25 ACP if one wanted...just the weight of the Handle would probably do the resize for that.

metricmonkeywrench
10-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Done deal, picked up the press and measure today. It came with 9 pairs of shell holders and 3 singles. Both rams are fitted with shell holder adaptors that will hold RCBS/? shell holders.

There was also a mystery tool but I will post that separately.

I found a chart here of what they are for and will figure out if I want to keep any of them. Kind of confused on the shell holder pricing though, a limited Internet search shows prices running from $10 to $60. Should I decide to sell what's a good average price for a pair in the box?

salpal48
10-10-2016, 07:39 PM
You generally will not find them In pairs. They were sold that way For the M81. Most sellers on Ebay will sell them single. Top price for an ebay Purchase is $10-15. Some are more scare than others.
They will Get a premium.
Gun shows sell for $5.00 +
Sal