PDA

View Full Version : Shooting bench thoughts?

snowwolfe
10-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Picked up all the lumber and screws to build our shooting bench. It is supported by 4, 4x4 pressure treated legs.
Have two choices for placing the bench:

First is to dig some holes where each leg will touch the ground and fill them with redi mix. The sit the bench legs on top of each concrete pillar. Use shims to level.
Second choice would be to make each leg 8-10 inches longer, dig a hole for each leg, put the legs in the holes, level the bench, then pour in redi mix and make it permanent.

We want the bench to be sturdy and solid, and don't mind if we can't move it after it is finished. But, permanent is permanent.

Which method would you pick and why? I have a few days to decide before deciding on what length to cut the legs.

9w1911
10-06-2016, 06:27 PM
You could use gravel as well, that will hold it and it is not permanent. I have used gravel and small rocks, packed them in tight and it has help my dogs in, to a degree they dig. haha

johnson1942
10-06-2016, 07:40 PM
i got a old school desk at a local shop and just ordered a gun rest from midway for the top of it. plan on doing some serious target work with several rifles with this set up.

runfiverun
10-06-2016, 08:34 PM
cement it in.
cover it in carpet.
put a roof over it.

Paper Puncher
10-06-2016, 08:40 PM
First is to dig some holes where each leg will touch the ground and fill them with redi mix. The sit the bench legs on top of each concrete pillar. Use shims to level. Would be my second choice.

First choice. I would dig the holes and pour the redi mix. I would then put a bent anchor bolt into the redi mix. When concrete is dry you can attach a piece of angle iron or one of those galvanized post bases to the anchor and fasten the bench to the angle iron or post base. Semi permanent, solid, and lets you easily adjust or replace the bench if needed.

too many things
10-06-2016, 08:48 PM
I think American rifleman had a detail about 8 yrs back that we done its set up for left or right and it works very good . maybe someone has the old copy. if not I can take a pic. WE did not sit up the left as none of us is a lefty . but it could be .
You don't want it level about a 1 in rise. reason is so water will run off.

snowwolfe
10-06-2016, 09:04 PM
The design of the bench is done and it will accommodate both right and left hand shooters. Just trying to decide how to mount it.
Good idea about not making it level.

jmorris
10-06-2016, 09:17 PM
I made mine from steel, on skids, so I was not stuck with one exact spot.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160723_165132_673_zpsmgbyodkb.jpg

It works for right and left hand shooters and the seat is adjustable up/down, in/out to fit anyone as well and locks ridged once you have it where you want it.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160723_165121_628_zpsfork7csl.jpg

dale2242
10-07-2016, 07:50 AM
I`m with R5R.
Cement it in.
Carpet and cover...dale

snowwolfe
10-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Why do you guys recommend the carpet?

Boolit_Head
10-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Around here we do fenceposts with the post type of redymix. Dig the hole and stick the 4x4 in and pour the redymix in straight from the bag. Water in the hole till it puddles on the top of the redymix and let dry 24 hours.

runfiverun
10-07-2016, 11:24 AM
it's a non slip top for the bench.
your rests will stay in place better and your elbows will thank you.

you want the bench to be rock solid.
we have 2 styles here, one is 3 cement slabs and a cement rectangle for the seat.
and the other is pipe buried and cemented with a swinging seat mounted on a post, they have a thinner cement slab for their top.
I use the all cement ones [well one I should say, I always shoot on the same bench]
when I first started shooting there they didn't have carpet so I brought my own, it didn't take long for the club to vote the funds [meaning someone scrounged up the carpet and they paid for the liquid nails] to get all the tops carpeted.

Tackleberry41
10-07-2016, 12:41 PM
I made mine moveable. Sometimes I am shooting close to use the chrony. Other times further as I have an electric easement to shoot down. Also makes it easier to mow, as I can just flip it on its side, then mow.

Artful
10-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I'd put a pipe in your buried cement cylinders then
make a slip in pipe with L bracket bolted on bottoms of the legs
that way you can remove but have it be stable.

snowwolfe
10-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Distance from the range to the target is only 50 yards and we are not shooting for itty bitty groups. Even a 50 yard shot is a stretch on our property due to all the old growth timber and brush. Have enough space in front of the bench to set up the chrony if I wanted to. Bench is on one side of our lake, target is on the other. I like the carpet idea. Will look for some after the bench is completed.

snowwolfe
10-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Bench is finished. Ended up putting some 8 inch tubes under the front legs and then dug a nice base for the rear legs and filled it with concrete. Due to the angle of the hill it was sitting on neither the wife or I could plant our feet on the ground so I built a small platform so our feet could touch.

jmorris
10-24-2016, 07:20 PM
That's a fine looking bench! Should be good for years of use.

This is another I came across the other day.

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=187797&d=1475832810

jcwit
10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
cement it in.
cover it in carpet.
put a roof over it.

This is the way to do it. Take a look at how ranges that have bench rest matches do it.