PDA

View Full Version : Finally freed my Marlin!!!

Gofaaast
10-05-2016, 09:57 PM
I came across a nice JM 336 35 Remington in May while I was relocating jobs. The shop wouldn't transfer a firearm to any IL resident but let me pay for it and held it for me. I am officially not an IL resident now that I got my new DL so I picked it up today.
I have everything bought to load for it along with a RCBS 35-200 mold. I got my casting equipment unpacked last weekend and hope to make some boolits this weekend.
It currently has a lever rail on it, and I want to go with sights. I was thinking about a Skinner. It has the original front sight still. What do you all recommend? It will mostly be used at my backyard range 100 yards or less most of the time.

reivertom
10-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Good deal and good move out of IL. I've always coveted a 336 in .35.....I haven't seen one in person around here, much less for sale!

Scharfschuetze
10-06-2016, 12:04 AM
Glad you got out of Illinois.

Nice find on the 35 Remington Marlin too.

If you are only shooting to 100 yards with a single load, then a semi-fixed peep sight like the Skinner will do you well.

If want to shoot at various ranges out to several hundred yards and use different loads, then you should consider a more flexible sight like the Lyman 66 or its Redfield (out of production) cousin. You can then sight in for whatever you are doing and when done, return to your base zero for your standard or normal load and range.

nekshot
10-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Congrats on a winning combo. Last week I walked in a pawn shop and their was a pre 64- 94 in 32 special and a 336 in 35 Remington. and I was down to pocket change only!!!

Hickok
10-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Great rifle. I hope to find another one some day. The last one I found in nice condition was a JM marked rifle for $450. Just like Nekshot, all I had was lint and chewing gum wrappers in my pockets.

Gofaaast
10-06-2016, 06:49 PM
I thought at $380 OTD I might have overpaid a little, but it sounds like I did ok. I think I will go with the Lyman style sight then so if I want to stretch it out a little I have the adjustment. Will I need to replace the front bead if I go with the Lyman?

FergusonTO35
10-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Is your cront sight on a ramp, or dovetailed into the barrel? The OEM front sight height is generally A-OK for use with a receiver sight on a Marlin. I have the Lyman 66 on two Marlins, Williams 5D on the others. Great sights although I would advise getting the 1/2" dimater aperture disc. Gives me a much cleaner sight picture.

Mk42gunner
10-09-2016, 12:10 AM
My 336A in .35 Rem came to me with a Lyman 56 rear sight installed. I have seen no reason to exchange it for anything else. As far as I can tell by looking at pictures, the major difference between the 56 and 66 is the 66 has a quick release button so the sight slide can be removed easily.

Robert

Gofaaast
10-15-2016, 03:05 PM
My front sight is on a ramp. Fastened to the barrel by 2 screws.