PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Action Pistol, Rifle, Shogun Black Powder

Taylor810
10-05-2016, 06:28 PM
I shoot cowboy action with smokeless powder and I'm interested in going black powder. I'm looking for some suggestions of resources for loading black powder. Suggestions?

w30wcf
10-06-2016, 08:56 PM
I shoot cowboy action with smokeless powder and I'm interested in going black powder. I'm looking for some suggestions of resources for loading black powder. Suggestions?

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=19.0

Would be a good resource.

Have fun!

w30wcf

upnorthwis
10-07-2016, 10:49 AM
For the rifle and pistol you can put as much Black as you can stuff in there. Shotgun is a different matter. I use 50 gr. 2F with Win wad WA112R with 1 oz. of 9's.

Washington1331
10-09-2016, 05:20 PM
If you go to GOEX's website, they have a list of suggested loads with black power. That should give you a good starting point.

Coconino
10-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Be sure to use a BP lube. Commercial ones like SPG work well. So do the various recipes. If you use substitutes like 777 you do not need to worry about lubes, you can even shoot coated bullets.

Don McDowell
10-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Loading black powder for what you're doing is a pretty straight forward process, in your cartridge guns, fill the case with enough 2f that it makes firm contact with the base of the bullet when the bullet is fully seated.
Shotguns, a bit more complicated, in getting the right charge in drams, the wad column and the shot load.

John Barleycorn
10-25-2016, 01:15 PM
I can get through a whole match using APP with no cleaning until the end of the day. Don't need BP lubed bullets either I just use the same bullets I use for smokeless.

John Boy
10-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Taylor, let's start with the press you use for reloading smokeless: single stage - progressive or a Dillon

sac
11-18-2016, 11:21 AM
another good source is Mike Venturino's books

rfd
11-18-2016, 11:38 PM
i find black powder is actually easier loading than smokeless. bp requires loading with no air space, which will be guaranteed with a bit of compression after a wad(s) are seated over the powder, then push in the bullet and if not a single shot some crimp for revolvers, levers and pumps will be needed. i run a bullet through a slightly smaller lee push up sizing die, then use that bullet on top of the powder column to check oal, removing or adding powder as need be. when it looks good, adding a wad prior to compression insures no air space and the oal will be proper and consistent. what's new to you now, and perhaps somewhat daunting, will be old hat as you progress and see what works best for your loading procedure, and the firearms. how much black powder to use can sometimes be too much black powder, such as for pistol cartridges like the .45LC which can be stuffed with more than needed for cowboy (40 grains) where 25 to 35 grains can suffice. have no clue about shotgun bp cartridges, just metallic cartridges, sorry.