PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Long Range 30-06---Opinions?

tazman
10-05-2016, 04:55 PM
I am thinking of getting a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06. Does anyone have experience with this rifle?

CraigOK
10-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Ive got a Rem 700 aac-sd 308 with the same stock, same trigger, 20" heavy barrel. It shoots very well and the recoil pad soaks up quite a bit. I think the 06 would serve you well

Outpost75
10-05-2016, 09:36 PM
A 26" barrel .30-'06 for around $700 MSRP is a good deal. I have no experience with the current generation Remington 700s, and don't care for the push-feed, non-controlled round feed, or the Remington safety and trigger mechanism, which has lots of well documented safety issues, but for that price, you can buy the rifle and fix its ills.

As for myself, my .30-'06 is a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 with clip-slotted receiver and Lyman peep sight. But I am a dinosaur.

tazman
10-05-2016, 10:46 PM
I used to have a couple of 30-06 rifles set up with peep sights. With my eyes as they are working now, that isn't an option any more unless I am shooting at very large targets.
My rifles wear scopes these days.

A 26" barrel .30-'06 for around $700 MSRP is a good deal. I have no experience with the current generation Remington 700s, and don't care for the push-feed, non-controlled round feed, or the Remington safety and trigger mechanism, which has lots of well documented safety issues, but for that price, you can buy the rifle and fix its ills.

I have gotten quotes from a couple of local shops. The delivered price is around $650 out the door. I think I can work with the price. I just need to know if they shoot as well as they should.

Scharfschuetze
10-05-2016, 11:04 PM
I had a nice Remington 700 ADL in Ought-Six back in the 80s. It was a fine and accurate rifle, but I just didn't care for the "bowling ball" finish that Remington bragged on back in the day. It left on a trade for something else, although there was nothing wrong with its function or accuracy.

I sometimes teach at a long range shooting school in Oregon. The favorite rifle for most of the students is the Model 700, although most of 'em have had the touch of a good gunsmith on them. The most accurate long range bolt rifles that I've ever owned were a Remington 721 action (which was the forerunner of the 700) that I built up for NM shooting and a 40X Remington. Both of those rifles accounted for more than a few trophies in NM and Palma matches.

I also helped to field the M24 SWS (Model 700 long action in 7.62 NATO) for my unit in the Army and found it to be adequate for the purpose and often quite accurate with the M852 and M118 ammunition.

My current Ought-Sixes are Pre-64 Winchesters including a NM M70 (not in the photo). Like Outpost, I really like them, but alas, they will run you a good deal more than the Long Range Remington you are considering. If you find one in good shape though, it is also an investment as well as a shooter.

I don't think that you'll go wrong with the Model 700.

Lonegun1894
10-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Y'all are gonna cost me money!

Hickok
10-06-2016, 07:51 AM
I have a Remington SPS Varmint in .308 Win, 26 " heavy barrel. Replaced the Tupperware stock with an H&S Precision aluminum bedded stock. It is a tack driver. Groups consistently from 5/8" to 1" for 5 shots with jacketed bullets. I use Wilson neck bushing dies and arbor press for reloading.

The "new and improved" Remington trigger is not nearly as good as the old Walker type trigger in my opinion. It adjusts down to about 3.5 pounds out of the box. There are replacement springs/parts that can be found to correct it.

Also, some of the "pin heads" at Remington have decided to put a slight bevel or chamfer at the firing pin hole in the bolt face. Supposedly, and I say this with my teeth clenched, this is to help prevent primers from piercing or having problems from over-pressure. The fired primers have a protrusion that looks like a round fired with a "high or over pressure load." So you really can't "read the fired primers to detect pressure."

I have two new 700's that have this "new" safety feature to the bolt face. I contacted Remington and they told me the above mentioned excuse. Do a google search on this subject and you will find some info.

Don't know if Remington is still doing this to the rifle bolts or not, as my latest two 700's are several years old.

I still love the Model 700, but I just have to overlook the way the fired primers look.

The rifle as I said is wonderfully accurate, but just has these few "glitches."

RU shooter
10-06-2016, 08:09 AM
No first hand experience with newer Remington's but if it were me I'd take a look at a savage or tikka for about the same money . You may also do well looking for an older vintage rem 700 .

Tim

Budzilla 19
10-06-2016, 08:39 AM
I have a three year old Remington Model 700 in 30/06, really accurate with any thing you load in it! I pulled the action, set the creep, over travel and trigger pull ,put it back, it shoots really well now!! Free floated the barrel also. PLUS, it was on clearance at the local Wallyworld for $300!! Plus taxes,of course. If you look at your local pawn shops, you may be able to find one after hunting season is over for a really good price. Good luck in your search.

Hickok
10-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Did a quick search on the Rem 700 cratering primers/beveled/chamfered firing pin hole. Seems this was mostly rifles made in 2008-2010.

Lucky me, both my latest Models 700's must be from that time of production. Doesn't hurt anything, but the primers look ugly.

hp246
10-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Not familiar with the "Long Range", but have three 700s right now. 700 P in .223, 700 BDL in .30-06 and 700 Sendero in 7mm Mag. Two of the three have composite stocks. I know that at one point probably late 80s early 90, Remington had a problem with their composite stocks chipping/cracking. My 700 P had the problem. My Sendero did not. As far accuracy, the 700 has been used by police agencies for years, depending on their 700 P as sniper rifles. Excellent accuracy. When talking about guns that have a law enforcement history, I always like to take a look for used police guns. These were usually well maintained aby Department armorers (Especially sniper rifles or guns that were used by tactical teams) and the manufactures frequently produced a bit beefier product for law enforcement than the sporting version. The 870 police shotgun is a great example. Many have been in service for over 30 years.

tazman
10-06-2016, 11:47 PM
The Remington Long Range is basically a Varmint/target style rifle in the long action chambered for 25-06, 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag, and 30-06. Bell & Carlson M40 style stock. Has a 26" heavy barrel. Appears to have a trapdoor magazine similar to the BDL series.
It is advertised as a long range accurate rifle. Since I already load for 30-06(Model 760) this would fit in well with my current setup, otherwise I would get a 308.
I am hoping someone has personal experience with one.
I have dealt with a couple of the current version Remington 700 synthetic stocks and I am not impressed. The one on my 243 varminter was poorly fitted and rubbed the barrel in spots instead of a good free floating fit. I got out my trusty Dremel tool and worked on the barrel channel in the stock a bit and now the rifle shoots as it should. Perhaps the Bell & Carlson stock would work better. I have no experience with one.

samari46
10-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Have shot the 30-06 for many years mostly three match rifles and one standard rifle. I've found it very easy to get great accuracy with the 30-06 and match bullets. I've two 308's one is a sendero and the other is a savage 110FP in 308. So far the savage shoots better that than the Remington. My Sako 75 Hunter thinks it is a target rifle in 30-06, easy to get excellent accuracy and loves the old match M72 loading. So if you ask me go for it!!!!!. And if you shoot the 175 sierra matchking your velocities will be higher and at lower pressures. I use IMR 4350 with the CCI magnum primer, Federal cases and 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. Don't hunt but love punching paper. 54.5 to 55.5 grains of IMR 4350 seems to be a magic spot. several people have tried my load and come away with big smiles on their faces. Chrono data with the above load shows slightly over 2800 fps and low standard deviation due to the magnum primer. Shot this load for years and first one out of any bolt gun in '06. Frank

OnHoPr
10-07-2016, 12:54 AM
What's your baseline concerns basically. If you have the 06 and it is shooting like they can it will do a 1/4 mi shot on deer. If the action is designed for the 300 um and you want to shoot as the title mentions long range go with the 300 wm for more ballistic efficiency pass 300 or 400 yds. A rcbs or lee die set isn't that much and the only thing you would have to acquire would be brass. Primers are the same generally. Powders as well, but even if you start going for the long range really then different powders would need to be consumed like MagPro, MRP, 4831, ect. for those 70 to 80 gr powder charges. A lb of powder only last 4 or at the most 5 boxes of shells. Your bullet choices might need/should be changed as well for hitting game at 300 to 700 yds instead of 100 to 200 yds. Just don't hit any deer with them under a 100 yds or so. Since the new craze of video games and the 308 and trying to play sniper and hit gongs at 600 to 1000 yds, those guys seem to consume a lot of the bullets you should be using for youtube vids. So, if they come into stock get them. The cost is hardly negligible compared to the differences between the 06 and 300 wm when it comes to performance at LONG RANGE.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-07-2016, 01:33 AM
You can always down load the 300 RUM to 300WM or 30-06 levels...

I would look seriously at the Savage for a bit less money.

NC_JEFF
10-07-2016, 04:27 AM
I considered that very rifle recently and was ready to buy it after reading some of the reviews. Then I came across a Savage model 10t Cabela's was offering for $540. The Savage has a 24" heavy barrel and i paired it with a Vortex Viper scope. They only come in 308 or 6.5 Creedmore. I bought the 308 and am very satisfied with it .

Hickok
10-07-2016, 06:32 AM
Tazman, I will say go for it and get one!

I have a bunch of 700 Remingtons, old and newer, and am very familiar their "workings". The 700 is my favorite rifle among all other brands. They all have their good and bad points.

You sound like you are also very familiar and know the "ins and outs" of the Model 700. So again I say "Buy the rifle."

tazman
10-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Hickok-- I have been shooting Remington 700 actions in various calibers for almost 40 years. I don't consider myself an expert on rifles. I am just familiar with this particular action.

My considered use for this rifle is punching paper at 600 yards. I already have a 243 and a 243 AI that shoot sub MOA at 200 yards so perhaps this rifle(the 30-06) would be superfluous to my needs.
The 30-06 in a hunting configuration/weight is the upper end of my recoil tolerance level. My thought was this rifle setup would be heavier and easier to control with less recoil. I can always load it down to 308 levels if need be.
I have always wanted a really accurate 30-06 with long range(for me that is 600 yards) capabilities. This rifle sounds like it would fit the bill.

I recently acquired a couple of Savage rifles in 223 that shoot extremely well. I don't feel they will do all that well at 600 yards due to the bullet weights they shoot best. I was also considering a Savage but I couldn't find one setup in 30-06 with the heavy barrel. I wanted to avoid getting a full custom gun if possible.
The 243 has good bullets available and has light recoil as well as accuracy. Perhaps I just need to stick with that caliber. The 30-06 has bullets with essentially the same ballistic coefficient as the 243 but don't reach the velocities the 243 does. The 243 may be the better caliber for this type of shooting.
It almost sounds like I am talking myself out of getting the 30-06 and perhaps I am. I just like the caliber.

Texas by God
10-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Get it. A long/heavy barreled 30-06 sounds like lots of fun. Best, Thomas.

Hickok
10-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Get it. A long/heavy barreled 30-06 sounds like lots of fun. Best, Thomas.I agree!

Tazman, I really think you want that '06!:D

fordwannabe
10-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Just throwing my two cents in. Buy the savage. You sound like you want what you want and if you have the savage you can put any barrel you want on it as time and money allow. I am a member of savage shooters, so I am a little biased. I have seen a fellow shooter hit a spray paint can at just shy of 1100 yards with a savage him and his dad bolted together no major machining. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. I have a remmy 700 in 06 and A savage in 300 wm the Savage gets the call 90 percent of the time as a gallon milk jug at 500 yards is routine. Tom

Don Fischer
10-10-2016, 11:12 AM
is this long range 30-06 going to be a competition gun or what? Seem's to me if your going to compete, your not gonna buy a rifle off the rack that is competitive. it'll need all sort's of improvement's in the action and barrel not to mention bedding. At least that's what I've been led to believe. many years ago, Warren Page wrote The Accurate Rifle, in which he said a 1/4" rifle is really nice but won't win you much! So , where is this long range rifle going to be used? I don't shoot long range competitively and long range for me hunting is under 300yds. I do shoot to 500yds for the fun of it with a rifle that has been worked over a bit, 700 Rem BDL. Most my rifle's have always had round action's, I know how to bed them! I have had two mod 70's, have one now, that were/are good shooter's but they just don't run with my 700's. I think the Savage might be a good choice, reputation for being very accurate but don't know how many if any are competitive in match's. Probably the only reason not is because they say Savage on the rifle. Savage gunsmith back east, I forget his name, claimed that one of the secrets to the accuracy of them was the barrel nut at the front of the action. Could be. I know in my old Dan Wesson 15VH by fooling with the barrel nut you could get it to shoot much better. A long range rifle for the sake of a long range rifle could be what ever you want. Mine, a 6.5x06, with carefully loaded 140gr SMK's does 2 1/2" groups easily out to 500 yds. define what your looking for!

tazman
10-10-2016, 01:55 PM
is this long range 30-06 going to be a competition gun or what? Seem's to me if your going to compete, your not gonna buy a rifle off the rack that is competitive. it'll need all sort's of improvement's in the action and barrel not to mention bedding. At least that's what I've been led to believe. many years ago, Warren Page wrote The Accurate Rifle, in which he said a 1/4" rifle is really nice but won't win you much! So , where is this long range rifle going to be used? I don't shoot long range competitively and long range for me hunting is under 300yds. I do shoot to 500yds for the fun of it with a rifle that has been worked over a bit, 700 Rem BDL. Most my rifle's have always had round action's, I know how to bed them! I have had two mod 70's, have one now, that were/are good shooter's but they just don't run with my 700's. I think the Savage might be a good choice, reputation for being very accurate but don't know how many if any are competitive in match's. Probably the only reason not is because they say Savage on the rifle. Savage gunsmith back east, I forget his name, claimed that one of the secrets to the accuracy of them was the barrel nut at the front of the action. Could be. I know in my old Dan Wesson 15VH by fooling with the barrel nut you could get it to shoot much better. A long range rifle for the sake of a long range rifle could be what ever you want. Mine, a 6.5x06, with carefully loaded 140gr SMK's does 2 1/2" groups easily out to 500 yds. define what your looking for!

My usage will not be for formal competition. Only a few local/small shoots and my personal satisfaction. I will not take long shots at animals since I don't feel competent enough to ensure a clean kill beyond about 300 yards depending on circumstances. I already have a 30-06 setup for hunting(Rem 760).
As far as this gun needing work to be accurate, it comes with a Bell & Carlson M40 type stock with aluminum bedding. Final bedding of the front lug would be easily accomplished. A trigger change would also be easy on this rifle.
The range I have access to has a max range of 600 yards so that is the distance I am setting up for now. I probably already have a rifle that would work fine for this use in my 243.
I like Remington 700 actions. I like the 2 Savage rifles that I own(models 25 and 12). This particular rifle seems to be mostly setup for what I want to do already so would need very little work. Also extras for Model 700 actions are readily available. Besides which, I like the 30-06 cartridge.