PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Target Grey - Super Redhawk

kf4zht
10-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know how to re-create the Ruger Target Grey finish that was done on Super Redhawks and some other guns. From what I have found some people think it is nothing more than tumbling and clearcoat, others that it is a plating. Ruger doesn't produce it anymore.

I have a 7.5" Super Redhawk that I want to shorten to 4.5-5". This will require not only refinishing the end of the barrel but the warning text from the side of the barrel will need to be removed also or it will look bad.

I did see where someone bead blasted and then used aluminum black. It looked close but there wasn't a comparison in the picture. Cerakote would also be fine if it was a close match

Does anyone know the alloy of stainless they use? I can pick up a piece and experiment.

Blackwater
10-05-2016, 12:48 PM
I've wondered about the same thing. I know that some metal pieces are put in huge drums and tumbled in carbon steel BB's to deburr them. Seems like that might imbed just enough of the carbon steel in the finish to make it go gray???? Just a total wild guess on my part, so don't go taking it to the bank. It's just all I have to offer. If refinishing, and you can't duplicate it, you might consider using 0000 steel wool all over to get a std. SS finish. A friend did that to one of his guns, and it came our looking very pleasing. He wound up trading it off, but he trades 2 to 3 times or more a month, whether he really needs to or not. When the "new" wears off, it becomes trade bait. The new recipient really liked it, if that helps? Wish I could help more.

kf4zht
10-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Did some research and while no one says outright the frames are called "400 series stainless" I did find that the dylinders had to be made from 465 carpenter steel, so whatever the process was it works on a few different alloys.

I can get a 3/4 bar of 416 stainless off amazon for less than $9. Seems like a cheap way to experiment. I am wondering if a bead blast with some sealant (possibly tinted) would work.

Since the whole barrel has to be done it make it somewhat easier. When it was just the muzzle touch up it would have been much harder.

Mica_Hiebert
10-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Ive herd its a proprietary acid etching process... might contact ruger and see how much if any thing they would charge you for a refinish.

cheese1566
10-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Back when I used Brownells Gunkote finish, Gunkote used to have a Ruger grey finish. Unsure if it's still available or how close it was to match.

TCLouis
10-13-2016, 11:35 PM
So tell me there is not some bright chemist in CAST BOOLIT LAND that can come up with the chemical process to obtain that or even darker gray finish.

DougGuy
10-14-2016, 12:03 AM
Ruger didn't apply that finish in house. That run of revolvers was sent out and done by an outside contractor for Ruger.

pietro
10-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Ive herd its a proprietary acid etching process... might contact ruger and see how much if any thing they would charge you for a refinish.

I don't think that Ruger will refinish one of their guns that's had the lawyer warning removed from the barrel like the OP plans to do, w/o replacing the barrel with one that does have the warning.