PDA

View Full Version : wilkinson webley 1892 update

ehsa
10-04-2016, 04:22 PM
i have been traveling and did not have a lot of time with the 1892 wilkinson webley but i loaded 6 rounds using new winchester 45 colt cases with a cci # 300 large pistol primers 3.8 grains of trail boss with a 250 grain desparado bullet at .454 diameter. i fired 3 rounds single action and 3 rounds double action. single action rounds no problem.with the double action first one ok then cylinder didnt turned so i opened the gun shut it back and it fired the last 2 rounds double action with no problem. as mentioned the cylinder has the serial number on it very plain.so it doesnt appear to be shaved. i used a feeler guage to measure at the back of the cylinder and the gap at the top is .o56 tight. measured the same for the bottom.the barrel cylinder gap is about.008. any the gun did a pretty good fist size group at about 15 feet with one shot going a few inches low.this was offhand and pretty good for me.since 45 colt shouldnt fit that mabey it has be bored straight thru.any comments are welcome.oh as a final comment the feeler guage is where i put together several individual of them till it fit tight.john

Oyeboten
10-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Of course, make very sure all Primers are fully seated and flush with the Cartridge Head.

A slightly high primer can bind things up.

What Loading dies are you using?

I myself am soon to be loading .455 for an S & W 2nd Model Hand ejector I got recently.

ehsa
10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Of course, make very sure all Primers are fully seated and flush with the Cartridge Head.

A slightly high primer can bind things up.

What Loading dies are you using?

I myself am soon to be loading .455 for an S & W 2nd Model Hand ejector I got recently.
the dies are my old rcbs carbide dies .45 colt.since it is a tight fit i will keep and eye on those primers. i use a hand held priming tool by rcbs.john

bouncer50
10-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Ok the rim thickest is on a 45 Colt at 060. The Webley is 039. The rim dia of the Colt is 530 the Webley is 512. Another way to shoot both caliber was to counter bored the cylinder for the larger Colt rim. On my 45 Colt Webley they milled the recoil shield down. You have to carefully on seating the bullet too long will rub on the rear of barrel and not turn the cylinder.

bouncer50
10-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Your gap of 056 should be enough that of course with a empty shell and the recoil shield

ehsa
10-05-2016, 11:08 AM
i was doing some checking about my 45 colt reloads this morning.originally i had reported that three different factory loads had fit in my 1892 wilkinson with no problem.comparing them with my reloads this morning i see my overall length is a little longer than the 3 factory loads so perhaps that is the problem.john

Oyeboten
10-05-2016, 06:54 PM
i was doing some checking about my 45 colt reloads this morning.originally i had reported that three different factory loads had fit in my 1892 wilkinson with no problem.comparing them with my reloads this morning i see my overall length is a little longer than the 3 factory loads so perhaps that is the problem.john

Any 'binding up' which occurs loaded, but does not occur when the Revolver is unloaded...will tend to be either be a high Primer, or a Bullet nose sticking out just a little to far, and rubbing on the Forcing Cone end.

About the only other thing would be if a Cartridge Rim is too thick for the Head Space...where, the Cylinder can still close, but, the rear of the Cartridges are rubbing against the Recoil Shield.

Tom Herman
10-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Enjoy the S&W! I dubbed mine the "Smith & Webley"...
I use 3.8 grains of Unique, with the 265 grain RCBS HBRN bullet.
Works GREAT! Lots of fun...

-Tom

Oyeboten
10-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Enjoy the S&W! I dubbed mine the "Smith & Webley"...
I use 3.8 grains of Unique, with the 265 grain RCBS HBRN bullet.
Works GREAT! Lots of fun...

-Tom

Thanks Tom!

I might start a little Thread for it.

If so, see you there!

Oyeboten
10-07-2016, 04:44 PM

The Webley Cylinder is of course shorter than the Cylinders of the old S & W .455 'N Frames' or the Colt "New Service", so, the old Webleys, when adapted for use with .45 Colt, the 'COAL' is going to be less forgiving.

Which if fine, since the .45 Colt Cartridge is so long and ample, and if Loading for Paper Target, one can work out Loadings for Wadcutters, and set them how ever one likes for that the Loading, or have the Loading defer to the Seating Depth, I mean.