PDA

View Full Version : Colt 32 New Police

huntrick64
10-04-2016, 04:04 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a nickel one in great shape. About a 2" barrel. Mechanical and bore is excellent, nickel plating is about 70%. Lock-up is the tightest I have ever seen on any gun and trigger is as good as a trigger can be. Original wood grips. I'm thinking I can get into it for around $250. Not sure if that is a good deal or not. I would cast and reload for it as well, so I am thinking about using 32 Long S&W brass and whoknows what bullet mold. Now that I think about it, not sure why I would really use it for, other than to hang onto it for future trade/sale. If I do that, I would not spend money on mold, brass, dies, etc.

Thoughts?

How rare are these?

Outpost75
10-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Price is good if mechanically correct and needing no gunsmithing. The .32 Colt New Police is the same as .32 S&W Long, but with a flatnosed bullet. Guns are fairly common but good shooters.

Earlwb
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM
They do tend to be relatively common, but as time goes on less so.
They still make a number of bullet molds for it. The Lee 90300, 90301, 90311 double bullet molds would work fine with it. These are 90 to 93 grain bullets. The !00 grain bullet mold that some others make would work too. A pound of propellant will last seemingly forever with this cartridge as it used very little of it. Carttridge cases tend to last forever too and you can reload them many times. I think the primer pocket is more likely to wear out before the case does.
I found that the 32 S&W Long was a pretty decent short range rabbit cartridge. It stopped a rabbit right there when hit, whereas a .22 LR might let them get away and down a hole on me. In any case it has mild recoil and is fun to shoot nonetheless.

Outpost75
10-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Accurate has a number of molds which work well for the .32 S&W Long and Colt New Police, these are two I use in mine. Simple home-made trim die to file round nose flat makes factory ammo more effective.