PDA

View Full Version : bass pro buys cabelas

twc1964
10-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Well, seems that bass pro bought cabelas out. I have seen the really high prices of reloading components at bass pro and I wonder if now cabelas will follow suit. The cabelas near me had powder and primers at a fair savings over bass pro. I guess we shall see.

lefty o
10-04-2016, 02:10 PM
any proof of this? this rumor about bass pro buying out cabela's started over a year ago, and unless something has changed is just rumor.

Duckiller
10-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Reported as fact on the news. Do you want to believe the media? I liked Cabela's more than Bass Pro.

CraigOK
10-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Do you think they'll keep the cabelas brand or just change all the stores to bass pro?

lefty o
10-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Reported as fact on the news. Do you want to believe the media? I liked Cabela's more than Bass Pro.
relax, i didnt see it on the news. just wanted factual confirmation instead of the normal internet rumor paranoi spreading bs. anything wrong with that?

s mac
10-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Bass Pro home office is local here and it is being reported on local news.

Wis. Tom
10-04-2016, 04:36 PM
It is official, and I can't believe it will help the pricing at Cabela's, I hope I'm wrong.

osteodoc08
10-04-2016, 05:13 PM
I've preferred Cabelas over Bass Pro, especially when it comes to firearms and reloading. Hope this isn't ruined.

shooter2
10-04-2016, 06:02 PM
My few experiences with Cabelas were all crappy. I am not surprised that they're going under.

Handloader109
10-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Well, I shop at the Rogers AR store and have had good service in general, and prices have been better than any Springfield (home office of bp) or little rock store I've been in. And at least I've been able to get someone at the gun counter at cabelas to wait on me rather than just talk to a friend like BP. Oh, and primers are regular $4.99/hundred at bp and $3.29/hundred at cabelas. A big difference.

white eagle
10-04-2016, 07:34 PM
there goes the neighborhood

GhostHawk
10-04-2016, 10:07 PM
I have bought powder and primers from both. Frankly both are overpriced IMO.
But, paying the rent on that big brick and mortar store is not cheap.

Mostly nowdays my business goes to BPI if at all possible. Much better prices, great service. Just means sometimes I have to check their stock twice a week until they get in a shipment of what I want.

chambers
10-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Bought a lot of reloading material through Cabelas at savings when on sale. Now just wandering who pricing will change and may not be able to use Cabelas points and store pickup to save $? We shall see just how combining Cabelas and Bass pro will be and which stores will close if two are close?

runfiverun
10-04-2016, 10:17 PM
I can't imagine them raising the prices any higher.
I was thinking about getting a job at the cabela's near here.
I could walk around all day and do pretty much nothing, since they are across the road from the local sportsmans warehouse which has about 20% lower prices on everything.

44man
10-05-2016, 09:30 AM
I still have points and the Visa card. Will I lose the points?
I remember when someone bought out the archery warehouse in PA and prices soared.
Bass Pro has always been more expensive. I dealt with Bass Pro and Gander long ago but then they went nuts with prices. Same as Midway with shipping and handling.
We need another Herter's.

Blackwater
10-05-2016, 10:08 AM
I love the Bass Pro in Savannah, but mostly just buy fly tying and fishing stuff there. Got a pair of Bill Dance shoes there, and they're my favorites - very comfortable, non-slip, etc. Some of their two pocket shirts are very serviceable. Who'd have ever think shirts without pockets would EVER be "in style???" Two pockets is better than one, EXPECIALLY if one is going outdoors with it! Some of the cargo pants and shorts are the same way. Their powder IS high there, as are their bullets, but it's still cheaper than mail order if you only want a pound or two, or a box or two of bullets.

There's a Cabelas in Augusta, but I've never been to it yet. Those who have told me it's not worth the extra time and mileage to there instead of Savannah's Bass Pro. Maybe I'm just "easy," but I like them BOTH! Went to a Cabelas in VA when visiting a friend, and it was one of the most shooter oriented big box stores I've ever been in, and they had some rarish guns and a good number of them, too. VERY nice store there! Each store and each location reflects what the manager there thinks it ought to be, and that can never please all the folks who go there, because BP and C's have SO many things that no satellite store CAN have everything that the mail order warehouses stock. But they can all get stuff for you, and I've done that at the Savannah Bass Pro a time or two, but for guns, I stick with my LGS. They're good guys, and I want to see them stay open, so I do my fair share of seeing to it they do. I figure it's my obligation toward keeping the community strong and running well. Just my view and how I see it, of course. YMMV, and likely will.

Deep Six
10-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Cabela's problems seemed to stem from a poorly imformed, unresponsive, and very rigid corporate governance structure. Unfortunately Bass Pro has the same problem, only worse than Cabela's had it. I don't see things getting better under Bass Pro ownership.

white eagle
10-05-2016, 01:48 PM
said they would honor Cabelas Visa's and promotions

Rick Hodges
10-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Any loss of competition is bad news for the consumer. I have never liked bass pro merchandise...much prefer Cabela's brand imported clothing and hunting clothes to Bass Pro's Redhead brand. I expect the prices at both stores to rise now that there is less competition, and someone has to ante up the 5.5 billion that Bass Pro paid.

Skunk1
10-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Cabelas was the one place around here that didn't inflate the price of there 22lr like most every other shop. I know they went up but they didn't take us to the bank around here.

smoked turkey
10-06-2016, 01:10 AM
It is a fact that Bass Pro has "reeled in one of their competitors" as the local new story started their report. I fear that it will not be a good thing for us sportsmen. I say that because as stated above the prices are higher at Bass Pro than most other sporting goods stores. Especially on reloading supplies. I talked with a friend who has a daughter who works at the corporate headquarters. Word is that as soon as the inventory of Cabela's branded merchandise is depleted that the Bass Pro brands will take their place and it is thought that after about a year the stores will be re-branded to the Bass Pro name. I can believe that because the new owner has a pretty big ego to feed.

Three44s
10-06-2016, 01:58 AM
I find Cabelas to be high ............ so if BP is high compared to them .......... well, like another member quiped ....... "there goes the neighborhood"!

I get some deals if you are careful at Cabelas and when the satelite store opened in my home town, the quality of the staff was lousy ........ they had the Hornady LNL progressive available and on sale ....... I had to come in straight for feed cows etc. so I did not look like much ........ but I can tell ya, my green backs were just as green as the next customer and you'd thought I was INVISIBLE .......

Finnaly one guy working there spotted me and the rest is history.

I made sure a bunch of those other clowns got my ire over that!

Before the guy that finnally helped me showed up, another salesman was just shooting the breeze with another customer and I went and stood right in front of them .............again, I might have been invisible ......... All I expected was he would acknowledge my presence and tell me he'd get somebody ....... instead they just walked away!

Since then, I seek out that good salesman first if he's on duty and he always takes good care of me ........ and the people that followed the original bunch of duds has been pretty fair as well.

So this BP swallowing of Cabelas is likely not good but there is not a thing we can do about it except "vote" with our feet!

Best regards

Three 44s

toallmy
10-06-2016, 04:35 AM
I try to stay out of bass pro , the thought of taking a number and waiting to be called just reminds me of waiting at the division of motor vehicles .

bullet maker 57
10-06-2016, 05:30 AM
We don't have either one here. We have Gander, prices are high IMHO.

Rick R
10-06-2016, 07:37 AM
I spoke with an employee at our local Cabela's yesterday. He said that they will keep both brands and that it's a "merger" not a buy out. Might be the company line that Cabela's is spreading to their employees.

I just prefer the pricing, goods and service at Cabela's over Bass Pro. Bass Pro is more about fishing than hunting and I'm not much of a fisherman.

44man
10-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Gander was OK until they opened stores. I went into one in VA and went out as fast. Beady eyed service instead of help.
There is a gun shop in Winchester VA I will never enter again. Old Dominion, I stopped going to work with my UAL uniform on. Just needed a few bore brushes. I swear they had hands on guns.
I grew up with REAL gun and fishing shops. I could buy a Weatherby with paper route money as a kid. No interest with store credit. I would pay it quick and buy a Browning superposed next.
I had good service at Dick's but they are funny. I can't take a rifle to check out, the salesman takes it and has to go outside to hand me the box.
I will always miss the real Herter's. Jack Pine Savage and all the fun reading the catalog. It seemed customers had a personal connection.
I deal with Midsouth a lot and they are great. Almost old times. Brownell's and Sinclair, still good.
When you are treated as a friend, it makes all the difference.
Long ago even Bass Pro was good. I am old enough to remember.

dragon813gt
10-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Technially there will be less competition. But Dick's is expanding their Field & Stream branded stores. It's an entire store of the hunting/camping section of at Dick's. Prices are less than either Cabela's or Bass Pro. No, it's not like it used to be but it's another option.

It would be very foolish for them to drop the Cabela's name. A big chuck of that $5.5 billion was the name. When you have a built up customer base it would be foolish to cut your own throat. Who knows, maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe fishing gear prices will come down at Cabela's and hunting gear/firearm prices will come down at Bass Pro.

toallmy
10-06-2016, 10:52 AM
I could go in the local 5-dime store when I was a kid and buy a rifle or shotgun to , even a piece box of ammo . In high school a shop project of mine was rebluing a Winchester I still have . But I'm afraid those times are gone for good . So now I mostly order over the internet .

44man
10-06-2016, 11:27 AM
In the old days I was speeding through Lorain Ohio to chuck hunt. Way early morning and a cop stopped us. Said all our guns, etc were not legal. Took them all. At the station they woke the chief, explained it and the chief said let them go and give the guns back. After hanging up, they forgot the speeding charge and told us to go. We had fine LEO's then but now they might shoot you. The reason is liberals today We had respect back then and I still do.
I still want to hug a cop. Now we have BLM junk.

SSGOldfart
10-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Bass Pro will most likely down size there Cabelas seeing that was the only real competition in the market. I don't use either enough anymore to make a difference

Shuz
10-07-2016, 09:49 PM
For those of us living out west, this will be interesting to watch. We don't have many Bass Pro Shops, if any, but Cabela's is very prominent in the North Idaho/eastern Washington regions. In my experience, Cabela's, with a huge store in Post Falls Idaho, has been generally higher in price than our two long time sporting goods dealers, the White Elephant stores in Spokane and the Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.