PDA

View Full Version : my sons success with his cross bow.

johnson1942
10-04-2016, 10:37 AM
my son set his blind up on a ranchers friends place by a tree claim and last night sent a arrow through a 4 by 5 large nice white tails lungs. it ran 40 yards and dropped dead. we will have a european mount done on the horns and add that one to his collection. he is 17 and a junior in high school. in november we will go back to the same area a try for another big rack with his 7 mm mag. he said all the while he was in his blind their were several racoons trying to get in the blind and digging under it. they were driving him nuts then all of a sudden the bucked walked in. may be they helped conceal him in the blind. that will be his seventh set of horns to go on the wall. all are real wall hangers, his first buck was when he was 11 years old and weighed only 80 pounds. he shot it though the head at 98 yards with a 270 i gave him. my wife says our boy lives the dream life of a lot of boys here in this wide open west, he sure has taken to the outdoors. if anyone wants to do the same as my son, come to western nebraska, next to wyoming. we have thousands and thousands of public land that belong to you to hunt on. i can show you where to hunt with bow and arrow and set up a tree stand or blind.our archery season is sept through jan. doesnt get better than that. our muzzle loader season is the whole month of dec. reg. rifle season gets a little nuts around here and i shy away from that in nov. come and have fun.

justashooter
10-04-2016, 10:47 AM
boys were made to be proud of.

KCSO
10-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Darn it don't be tellin' Folks that stuff, then they'll want to come here. Tell the boy congrats on the buck! I still remember my boy's first one.

rl69
10-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Congrats on the deer and on raising a son you can brag about

Hamish
10-04-2016, 08:40 PM
How can it get any better Dad?

leadman
10-05-2016, 01:52 AM
I'm thinking of getting a cross bow permit. If the doctor signs off on it, which he should, then I use a cross bow in the archery season. The are rather pricey but it would be worth it to get away from the firearm seasons and the crazy things some of these "hunters" do.
Glad to hear of a young man enjoying the outdoors and successful hunting.

Lloyd Smale
10-05-2016, 06:31 AM
pat him on the back for me!

nagantguy
10-05-2016, 08:06 AM
awesome, you should be proud of him doing right and becoming an excellent hunter. if I was to guess I'd say his grades are good and his manners flawless.

johnson1942
10-05-2016, 03:21 PM
leadman, go for a cross bow. dont go overboard on the most powerfull you can buy as you still have to cock that thing. buy the arrows at wallmart, they are reasonable, every wheres else you would think they are gold plated. nagantguy, his manners are good but with a lot of pressure his grades are starting to improve. ive always thought that keeping a boy busy keeps him out of trouble. him and a friend has shot a lot of racoons and rabbits with their bows also. he was also concerned about mountain lions when he was in his blind. one badly wounded buck kept showing up but he didnt want to take it as the meat most likely wasnt any good. the lion really did a number on a back leg and one hip. when i walk out from my place a few miles now and then i carry a small ruger pocket revolver, dont want to do hand to hand with a mountain lion. they never ever show any fear.

Alvarez Kelly
10-05-2016, 04:45 PM
No pictures, so it didn't happen. :-p