PDA

View Full Version : 9mm revolver ?

Boaz
10-04-2016, 09:53 AM
I haven't kept up , who all is making a 9mm revolver now ? If you have had any experience with one would appreciate a comment . Thanks !

dverna
10-04-2016, 10:01 AM
I am waiting for Ruger to add it to their LCRx line. I like having sights and a hammer.

It would superior to the .38+P and a less than a .357. I hear their moon clips are very good too.

I shoot/carrry 9mm now, but hate picking up brass on my range. 9mm revolver solves that and brass is really cheap.

jmort
10-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I have 2 LCR 9mm revolvers. Love them and the moon clips are a nice feature

tazman
10-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Smith & Wesson makes a couple and so does Taurus. As said before, Ruger makes one. There are undoubtedly others.
I own one of the S&W 929 revolvers. It shoots extremely well.

mcdaniel.mac
10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Ruger makes the LCR and 9mm cylinders for the Blackhawk convertible, Smith has the 929 and 986, Charter makes the Pitbull in a 9mm, and there are SP101 9mms on the market.

Boaz
10-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I know there is a narrow field of interest in 9mm revolvers but the availability and price of the ammo should stimulate some interest ? Could be wrong but seems many more folks are trying to adjust their gun 'inventory' to use like ammo . For reloading 9mm bass is cheap and more than easy to find . Wonder why the major players aren't building one ?

NoAngel
10-04-2016, 02:18 PM
S&W model 929

In the hands of Jerry..... A god amongst insects [with a little g;) ], it can hit a ballon at 1000 yards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

OptimusPanda
10-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Charter arms makes one too. I think it's called the pitbull?

Virginia John
10-04-2016, 02:57 PM
My Blackhawk has a 9mm cylinder and works quite well. I wouldn't really consider it a concealed carry but then you didn't state your use.

robertbank
10-07-2016, 12:58 AM
Alpha Projects out of the Czech Republic makes a revolver in 9MM as well.

Take Care

Bob

Ted2016
10-07-2016, 07:44 AM
I am very happy with my Ruger Blackhawk Covertible. 357 and 9mm cylinders. Easy to sway out once you have done it a few times.

contender1
10-07-2016, 09:23 AM
"Wonder why the major players aren't building one ?"

Let's see,,, S&W, Ruger both make 9mm revolvers. And of course,,, some other companies. So,,,, just who do you think is a major player? If you check,,, both Ruger & Smith enjoy excellent stock prices & reflect the top 2 companies here when it comes to handguns.

Now, there are current offerings by these listed companies above. However,,, there are also offerings that are out of production, yet still available on the used market. Ruger offered the Speed-Six MANY years ago & I seem to recall a S&W offered as well. The concept was to offer LEO's a "back-up" revolver to their issued semi-autos.
Sales drive production. Demand drives the designers. As demands increase,,, so will the offerings. Unfortunately many folks totally prefer the semi's & will not consider revolvers. So,, the demands are lower.
BTW; I own a few DA revolvers in 9mm.

Multigunner
10-08-2016, 01:52 AM
Off and on I toy with the idea of designing a dirt cheap DAO home defense revolver that can handle both 9mm and .38 special, and perhaps several similar bore size cartridges , rimmed, rimless and semi rimmed ,by swapping out cylinders. Spare cylinders being available when purchasing the pistol or ordered afterwards depending on what ammo is most easily available for the shooters location. In some countries 9X19 is not allowed for civilian use but the .38 ACP, 9mm Long, 9X21 etc are allowed.

I'm wondering if a choked down chamber throat to squeeze .357 down a tad to better fit a 9mm/.355 bore is a feasible option?
Perhaps take it a step further to squeeze down a Makarov .365 bullet.
Squeezing a .357 down to 9mm would be only useful for attempting to gain optimum accuracy, but not really necessary for the intended purpose, but a bore large enough for the 9X18 Mak would be far too loose for a .357 or 9mm.

If the cylinder is long enough for a .357 Magnum cartridge then the length of the throat of a 9mm Mak cylinder should allow plenty of taper to ease the swaging down of the bullet.
Another way to go would be a gently tapered bore.

A spare C&B cylinder with separate loading stand with lever and using the single O buckshot would also be available.

mcdaniel.mac
10-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Off and on I toy with the idea of designing a dirt cheap DAO home defense revolver that can handle both 9mm and .38 special, and perhaps several similar bore size cartridges , rimmed, rimless and semi rimmed ,by swapping out cylinders. Spare cylinders being available when purchasing the pistol or ordered afterwards depending on what ammo is most easily available for the shooters location. In some countries 9X19 is not allowed for civilian use but the .38 ACP, 9mm Long, 9X21 etc are allowed.

I'm wondering if a choked down chamber throat to squeeze .357 down a tad to better fit a 9mm/.355 bore is a feasible option?
Perhaps take it a step further to squeeze down a Makarov .365 bullet.
Squeezing a .357 down to 9mm would be only useful for attempting to gain optimum accuracy, but not really necessary for the intended purpose, but a bore large enough for the 9X18 Mak would be far too loose for a .357 or 9mm.

If the cylinder is long enough for a .357 Magnum cartridge then the length of the throat of a 9mm Mak cylinder should allow plenty of taper to ease the swaging down of the bullet.
Another way to go would be a gently tapered bore.

A spare C&B cylinder with separate loading stand with lever and using the single O buckshot would also be available.
The Medusa M47 tried this, IIRC it was .357, .38spl, 9mm, .380, and maybe 9x21?

I also saw that Chiappa apparently makes their Rhino 40DS with a 9mm cylinder.