PDA

View Full Version : tricke to a 88 win

nekshot
10-03-2016, 05:54 PM
My son acquired a 88 winny in 308. I know nothing of these but must admit it is downright cute. Are there any things a newbie should know of it and are there any tricks to make it shoot better?

Kestrel4k
10-03-2016, 06:51 PM
I put together a 'plinker' handload for mine that averaged 1.5" 5-shot groups @ 100 yds (Red Dot & 110gr FMJ's) - not bad for a Win M88 w/ 10-cent bullets, having to be seated way off the lands as well.
147gr M80 was terrible in comparison.

Am going to try to develop a 150gr antelope load for it next spring; with the best bullets I'm hoping for 1" @ 100 yds.

If you're looking for spare mags, there was also another non-Winchester (Wisner's) run of spare mags after the main M88 production run. If you find late-style mags that don't have 'Winchester' on the bottom, they should be just as good as they were identically made on the same tooling as the original mags.

Edit: Very good background/collector info on them is here, particularly on their magazines:
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html

gnoahhh
10-03-2016, 08:29 PM
What's a "Winny"?

Artful
10-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Winchester

the 88 has a weak firing pin design so don't snap it without a cap in the chamber

Hardcast416taylor
10-03-2016, 09:24 PM
I have to say that both the 88 and the semi auto 100 were very slick looking rifles for their time. A shame that they cost so much to make leading to their being dropped. My 100 favored Federal factory 150 gr. sp ammo in the old red and white boxes. I sold the rifle a few years back so I can`t say what is most accurate thru them both today.Robert

JWT
10-03-2016, 09:45 PM
My 100 carbine and my Dad's 100 rifle both do well with Sierra 165gr. Don't remember the load details right now.

OverMax
10-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Congratulations to your son. A (link) for Dad.

A link to check its build year with its serial numbers.

http://www.proofhouse.com/win/index.html (http://www.proofhouse.com/win/index.html)

nekshot
10-04-2016, 08:20 AM
those links are invaluable to me, thanks. It is a early one and I love it. The machine work in these older guns is phenomenal. I am sure he will want to use it hunting this fall but I get to shoot it in off season. It also has a Leopold scope so all is very well!

JWT
10-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Be sure to look up the manual. If disassembly is anything like the 100 (and it should be similar) you will appreciate having it.

The firing pin may be under recall on the 88. Take a look at the info at the bottom of the page linked in post 2. When my 100's firing pin failed it would either fail to fire or pierce primers. Replacement pin fixed the issue.

pietro
10-04-2016, 12:28 PM

I would suggest that you shoot it first to determine it's accuracy. :Fire:

The lever needs to be worked smartly, and not much can be done with the trigger/pull, so learn to love it. :roll:

If the accuracy leaves something to be desired, the recoil block @ the rear of the action can be glas-bedded, along with a bedding pad under the barrel @ the tip of the forestock, while ensuring that no other portions of the barrel or action touches the inside sides of the inletting.

Blackwater
10-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Your question in the OP is pretty open, so I'm not sure this answers your question, but a friend once had a M-100 in .243 that he doted on, and wanted it to shoot tighter groups. I glass bedded it for him, and it became a really good shooter, at MOA and sometimes less. The key to a bedding job is simply to hold the receiver tightly in place so there's no variable and unpredictable vibrations created when it's shot, and to use the recoil lug to position all of it very precisely and consistently. That stock is pretty much hollowed out under the receiver area, so is pretty weak there due to the relatively thin and long sidewalls, but glassing can give it at least a little more support in that as well. I took all the stuff under the receiver off until I got that bedded well, and then filed, cut, ground off any excess that oozed out into places where the trigger/action/magazine mechanisms below the action went. It's a bit more tedious than bedding most bolt guns, but doable.

Only downside to this is that when and if they become "collectible," it'll destroy any collector's value it might have one day. And nobody knows what folks not yet mature might want, and pay a premium for tomorrow. Another cheap and non-permanent way to play with it to get it to shoot its best is as simple as putting a matchbook cover strip under the barrel, or suitable thickness materials in other places, to tighten it up in the stock. That's tricky, but if you like to tinker, can be done along with your practice.

There are no really hard and fast rules in things like this. It's all about knowing what to do with THAT particular gun and make and model, and getting it done or doing it yourself in just the right way. Customizing and tuning guns is a fine art, and many come to disagree on what's the "best" way to go. This is just what I've had experience with myself. Hope it helps a little?

nekshot
10-04-2016, 04:06 PM
o boy oboy this thing really has me hooked. The bore is totally free from anything that usually is in older guns. I tried some strong cleaners and nothing comes out unto patch. Looks great also. I guess the only levergun I never handled or shot is the win 95 and I don't think that would impress me except I would love the big bore in one. What I am trying to say is I personally think this is the slickest lever gun I messed with period. And yes I have lots of love for my 94's, even the big bore444, the 336's , the 99's and the 70's era BLR but this one I really like!

pietro
10-04-2016, 06:17 PM
o boy oboy this thing really has me hooked. The bore is totally free from anything that usually is in older guns. I tried some strong cleaners and nothing comes out unto patch. Looks great also. I guess the only levergun I never handled or shot is the win 95 and I don't think that would impress me except I would love the big bore in one. What I am trying to say is I personally think this is the slickest lever gun I messed with period. And yes I have lots of love for my 94's, even the big bore444, the 336's , the 99's and the 70's era BLR but this one I really like!

You're in lust.......... ;)

nekshot
10-04-2016, 09:23 PM
yup and no repentance needed!!