PDA

View Full Version : Peabody anyone?

1Hawkeye
10-03-2016, 02:12 PM
I've got a chance to buy a Peabody rifle in 45-70. The bore is nice and all the mechanics work fine,the wood is in very good shape for its age but the exterior metal is covered in very tiny and shallow pits not to mention the rear sight needs the windage spring replaced. No Conn on NY markings. So my question is is a Peabody in this condition worth 700.00?
Thanks again

Ballistics in Scotland
10-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Assuming your definition of very tiny and shallow pits is the same as mine... Is there a stronger word than Yes"? S&S do quite a few original parts, some of which are probably compatible with your model.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/search.asp

pietro
10-03-2016, 07:40 PM

IMO, a re-finished Peabody is worth $700, so it looks like you have a win/win there, whether you refinish it or not.

Texas by God
10-04-2016, 02:14 PM
AND they make them again in Providence. If you need parts. Best, Thomas.

pietro
10-04-2016, 06:24 PM
AND they make them again in Providence. If you need parts. Best, Thomas.

Not really...............

Although the 1800's/original Peabody's were invented in Boston, MA & manufactured in Providence, RI by the Providence Tool Co; the new Peabody's were made by the (new) Providence Tool Co in Plymouth, WI.

1Hawkeye
10-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Yes, I tried finding the providence website but it's gone. I was going to contact them to see if some of their parts would interchange. In case I needed a firing pin or extractor.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-05-2016, 07:58 AM
S&S Firearms have some kind of Peabody extractor. Not a firing-pin, but neither part looks really hard to make for the Peabody.

Rifles which sell for the price you describe, in the condition you describe, are mostly a lot commoner than the Peabody.

salpal48
10-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Any decent condition Peabody Is worth $700.00. How do you Know it is In 45/70. just because he said it was. May not be
Conn marked Is 43 Spanish
Mass marked is 45/70
Ny I.m not Sure
Swiss Type could be rimfire or Center fire.
If it has no making on the side It might be foreign

1Hawkeye
10-05-2016, 11:16 AM
When I inspected it the second time I tested the extraction with a 45-70 case and the bore with a 535 gr Lyman postell that Miked at .461". The only thing I couldn't check was the firing pin. I even checked the chamber with a breech mirror to see it's condition. The only thing that I didn't do was fire it or at least drop the hammer on a primed case. Also the previous owner said he put about 50 rounds through it using 405 & 500 grain bullets.

Texas by God
10-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Not really...............

Although the 1800's/original Peabody's were invented in Boston, MA & manufactured in Providence, RI by the Providence Tool Co; the new Peabody's were made by the (new) Providence Tool Co in Plymouth, WI.

. Thanks for the lesson. A friend has an old wall hanger(painted shut) that tempts me. But not if I can't get parts.

1Hawkeye
10-11-2016, 10:02 PM
S&S firearms and Dixie gun works have some parts but no center fire firing pins.

John in PA
10-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Actually, the comment about Mass/Conn caliber guns is reversed. Originally both states adopted the .43 Spanish version. Later, Connecticut returned theirs to Providence Tool to be rebarreled and rechambered to .45-70. The Mass. guns were never converted, and so remain in .43 Spanish. NY never bought any Peabodys, though they tested them.. South Carolina bought some carbines. That is the full extent of govt purchases of Peabodys in the USA other than the few guns presented for the weapons trials at Springfield in the mid 1860's and 1872.

Ed Hull's book "Providence Tool Company Military Arms has all the details about purchases, trials, production, etc.

Any decent condition Peabody Is worth $700.00. How do you Know it is In 45/70. just because he said it was. May not be
Conn marked Is 43 Spanish
Mass marked is 45/70
Ny I.m not Sure
Swiss Type could be rimfire or Center fire.
If it has no making on the side It might be foreign