PDA

View Full Version : Star Air Lube Cylinder Question

zipdog
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I have an air cylinder that I want to adapt to my Star lubrisizer. Is there anyone out there with this accessory who can give me some info on the cylinder? Length, diameter, thread sizes, etc. Or if the cylinder has a make and model number I can probably get the info online.

Thanks,

Rusty

zipdog
06-10-2008, 07:36 AM
I got the info I needed from mtgrs737. For anyone who is interested, here is some info if you want to rig your own air lube feed for less than Magma's going price.

The cylinder in question has a bore of 1.0625" and a 6" stroke. It is a nose mount with 5/8-18 threads that match the Star pressure screw nut. The rod end has 5/16-24 threads. An aluminum cylinder is needed to replace the spring assembly in the Star. One end needs to be drilled & tapped for the cylinder rod and the other for the screw to attach the hycar seal. This appears to be a 5/16-18. Screw it all together,attach a regulated pressure source, and you're in business.

These cylinders are available on line from many sources, and I use Air Cylinders Direct. The model numbers are different, but it's easy to figure out what you need.

06-20-2008, 12:59 PM
zipdog did you find the cylinder parts?

zipdog
06-21-2008, 05:18 PM
zipdog did you find the cylinder parts?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but here is where I am.

I have a somewhat smaller cylinder (0.875" bore) that I adapted to a RCBS LAMII and then sold the LAMII here. I bought this cylinder based strictly on the OD so it would clear the LAMII linkage. This cylinder has a 0.25" rod with 1/4-28 threads and 5" stroke. A friend is making up a piston that will replace the Star spring assembly. This piston will have a threaded hole in one end for the cylinder rod, and the other will have threads to accept the 5/16-18 threads for the screw that attaches the Star hycar washer. I assume this is somewhat like the conversion kit that Magma offers. Their parts breakdown shows some type of aluminum piston that replaces the big heavy spring assembly. Since this cylinder will produce only about 65% as much force as the Star cylinder, I may have to use a heater....but maybe not. ::confused: My buddy is also making up a piston that will have 5/16-24 threads on one end and 5/16-18 on the other in case I have to go up to the larger size cylinder that Magma furnishes. :)

Rusty

06-22-2008, 10:50 AM
i bought a magma cylinder. i looked for the parts to make one. found the same cylinder, it is about $45.00, then add the valve, gage,have the alumin cylinder made. it could be close to just buying the factory one. i to do like to tinker.

zipdog
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm sure that was the right thing to do. I just happened to have the cylinder, and I have a friend who does the machining for me for nothing. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense. Did you buy the Magma cylinder kit? If so, how long is the aluminum piston that replaces the spring?

Rusty

Morgan Astorbilt
06-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Rusty, If your cylinder will only produce 65% of the force of the Star cylinder (I'm assuming because of smaller bore diameter), why not just raise the air pressure 35%? All force is calculated by pressure X piston surface area, both being expressed in square inches.
Morgan

zipdog
06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Rusty, If your cylinder will only produce 65% of the force of the Star cylinder (I'm assuming because of smaller bore diameter), why not just raise the air pressure 35%? All force is calculated by pressure X piston surface area, both being expressed in square inches.
Morgan

That's what I intend to do. Magma calls for 20-50 psig, and my compressor can produce 120 psig, so I should be OK.

Rusty

06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Zipdog It Has A 6 In. Stroke. More Than Enugh To Go To Thr Bottom.