PDA

View Full Version : BACO Bore Wipers ... ?

rfd
10-03-2016, 05:53 AM
anyone got a review of these?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/ItemMedia/10024/10024_254064.jpg

BrentD
10-03-2016, 08:23 AM
no, I like mine better. However, Dave Gullo won the BPTR national championship BECAUSE he used them. I'd say that they work quite well.

rfd
10-03-2016, 08:30 AM
no, I like mine better.

brent, yer using the bore pigs or are ya pushing wet patches from that trick patch dispenser?

However, Dave Gullo won the BPTR national championship BECAUSE he used them. I'd say that they work quite well.

really? his bore wipes were the reason for his win? like, wow. :roll: :mrgreen:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BrentD
10-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Yes, I use both, and yes the wipes were the reason for Dave's' win, along with being a great shot and having a great spotter.

I have a date with my running shoes right now, but I'll explain later, unless someone else does before I get a chance.

Don McDowell
10-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Actually Dave has been working on those for a couple of years.
They work pretty good. 5-1 Napa oil and water soaked buttons seem to be what several of the greaser shooters are using. I stuck with the 7-1 with paper patch and all seems to be well. Some of the silloutte shooters have taken to using just one of the felts and getting along just fine.
Arsenal patch behind the button seems to work well.
Haven't found the best way to clean the buttons up, but there's surely a good way.
My suggestion if your shoot silhouette or bptr matches is to order 2 starter sets and a box of the felts, that way you'll be sure to have enough to go thru the day.

rfd
10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
do any of these pigs/bore wipers work in one swipe, wetting and removing fouling but also drying off the chamber, or is there a need for a chamber mop after wiping?

Don McDowell
10-03-2016, 10:53 AM
If you push those with a 2 inch arsenal patch it's one and done. Make sure they are wet enough to push thru easily but not so wet that they squirt juice. You can actually get the bore clean and ready to go in less time than a blow tube.
Word of caution on using them in a "short" action lever gun like the 73 winchester, shorten them to a touch shorter than the oal of the cartridge or you'll run into a serious problem.

rfd
10-03-2016, 11:21 AM
old good or new krappy arsenal patches?

BrentD
10-03-2016, 11:50 AM
I figured Don would jump in.

Anyway, you can use them with good or crappy arsenal patches. I use them with the crappy patches now, because that's what I can buy. I have a bigger jag to compensate for the thinner patch.

If you feel compelled to do more than rinse the felts, you can throw them in a net bag and then toss them in the laundry. Pretty easy to do.

I sometimes run mine through a dishwasher, but I have brushes on my bore critters.

The reason why Dave won because of his wipers is pretty simple. Dave was shooting the last relay at 1000 on the last day, as was I. There was an obvious monsoon that was lurking to the west and it was just a matter of when, not if, it would make its presence known on the firing line. Because of the way that the Nationals are run, the last shooter gets to start whenever the first shooter is done (this is not something I feel should be allowed for the Nationals, but it is and so it's part of the game). John (Dave's spotter) shot first and he shot VERY quickly - I believe he many have shot his sighters and record shots in under 10 minutes. John also uses the bore wipes I believe. So, Dave commenced shooting immediately thereafter (second shooters are allowed to put their gear on the line before the first shooter begins). Dave also shot very quickly as well. I believe he was done, or nearly done, before I even fired my first sighter. Meanwhile, the monsoon lurked closer and closer, but Dave was done before it hit. John and Dave together could not have taken more than 30 or 35 minutes at most for BOTH of them. For myself, it was about my 5th or 6th shot when, just as I broke the trigger, a jumbo-jet backwash like wind gust launched from the east, running directly into the storm. My bullet landed in the drop zone two targets to my left. I finished the relay by aiming at a target two positions to my right because there just wasn't enough windage in my soule to do otherwise. That's the first time I've ever had to do that, though I have heard of this problem many times.

Anyway, being fast, was the key to winning that match and no one was faster than Dave and John that day. No one. W/o his bore wipes, that would not have happened and Dave may not have won the match. His 1000 yd score for that relay, by the way, was damn good. In the mid 90s as I recall, which is a winning score on a bluebird day, never mind the worst relay of the match.

Don McDowell
10-03-2016, 11:55 AM
old good or new krappy arsenal patches?
I've been using the bags of BACO arsenal patches that we have got from the door prize drawings at the various matches we attend, but about any patch would likely work.

rfd
10-03-2016, 12:30 PM
thanx for the good scoop, brent. i can sure see how fast wiping saved dave's bacon that day. i wipe with the krap arsenals using distilled water with a few squirts of ballistol, pushed thru via steve's 1pc delrin rod, followed by a pair of dry arsenal patches in slit dowel to mop the chamber. those arsenal patches work fine as i upped the jag's diameter, but suck because they're one-time use, just some form of compressed paper, totally non-reusable. hafta make my own outta real reusable cloth, gonna try the lehigh valley .012 / .018 fabric i use for patched ml balls. anyhoo, i just built a chamber sleeve by drilling out a case, hafta try that, too - there's a need to make one wipe and not two, saving time. but maybe dave's bore wipers or bore pigs are the answer, just don't see how they dry off the chamber.

Don McDowell
10-03-2016, 01:07 PM
The buttons are bore size, so they don't squish out in the chamber like wet patches do. The rubber o ring on the back of the thing pushes the moisture ahead.
There is a lot more than the bore wipes attributed to Dave's Creedmoor win this year, and last year, and the years before that. The man is one dang good rifleman, and a heck of a nice guy as well. One thing you can count on if Dave doesn't win he'll be close to the top and most likely he'll be following his partner John Venhouse. Both are pure riflemen.

montana_charlie
10-03-2016, 01:13 PM
I wonder if this would work ...

You have a set of no-longer-useable cases with the heads drilled out to just leave the rim intact.
You soak your bore wipes, and load 'em into the cases ... looking out through the mouth.
Inserting into the brass case should squeeze out excess liquid, leaving a fairly uniform amount.
Being encapsulated in the brass, the moisture level should remain constant over a fairly long period of time.

When you need to wipe, you chamber a 'wiper cartridge', shove your rod right through it and out the muzzle, and ditch the empty when you pull the rod out.

The chamber should still be dry, so you only need to load a live round to be ready for the next shot.

It's a 'random thought' that came to me while reading this thread.

Lead pot
10-03-2016, 01:34 PM
That sounds like it might be a good idea Charlie. But I think I would use cotton balls instead of a patch. Dry on the bottom wet on top. If they don't expand to much and stick it just might work very good and fast.

M-Tecs
10-03-2016, 01:34 PM
I use the VFG air gun cleaning pellets http://www.waffenpflege.de/en/home.html but I was not aware of the BACO bore wipes. I will have to give them a try. Thanks

BrentD
10-03-2016, 01:38 PM
MC,
Wally Pinjuv (sp?) used something similar for a while. Not sure if he still does.

Don't worry about the chamber so much if you push a dry patch on a jag. It will be fine. I never do anything more than that, and I've never had an issue.

You can overthink these things. Try something simple and then work up from that.

PS. rfd, if you want to make a brass chamber guide. Use a long case so you can pluck it out with your fingers rather than have to rely on the extractor. Fill the case with a wood dowel and drill it out, so that it wills stay straight on the rod rather than hanging down at the case mouth and banging on the chamber's edges when you insert it on the rod.