PDA

View Full Version : How much compression is ideal?

Oyeboten
10-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Reading here and there, I am finding occasional passing mentions of how some brands of Black Power like more or less compression than others.

Can we run though some of this, ideally, or particularly, as it would apply to Black Powder Metallic Cartridges for Revolvers?

How much compression seems best for power and or accuracy, with what Brand of Powder?

What happens if too much or too little compression, generally? And and how would one describe how much compression one has in mind, anyway?

country gent
10-02-2016, 10:31 PM
For my notes I measure the uncompressed charge from case mouth to a .060 wad with the depth rod on my calipers. This gives me the uncompressed dimension from case mouth to wad. I then compress to overal length for the bullet and measure subtract 1 numer from second and I have actual compression. Watch the fouling when the right amount of compression for a given powder case bullet combo is found fouling goes down. Also if chronographing the numbers will show when compression is right as Standard deviations and extreme spreads go down also. Compressing powder should be done with a die and not the soft bullet.

montana_charlie
10-02-2016, 10:38 PM
To start, when talking about powder compression as a step in loading black powder cartridges, I think everybody is talking about rifle ammunition.

Goex powder is most often said to benefit from compression.
When you hit the right amount, the powder burns most efficiently, and also leaves less fouling in the barrel.

Oyeboten
10-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I'll be trying out some Revolver Cartridges in small batches which have progressive amounts of compression...see what differences I and the Chronograph can notice.

rfd
10-03-2016, 06:41 PM
I'll be trying out some Revolver Cartridges in small batches which have progressive amounts of compression...see what differences I and the Chronograph can notice.

that sure sounds like a good plan of action.

country gent
10-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Watch the extreme spreads as compression goes up the extreme spread should get closer to gether up to the point of 2 much compression. Its an interesting experiment

Oyeboten
10-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Watch the extreme spreads as compression goes up the extreme spread should get closer to gether up to the point of 2 much compression. Its an interesting experiment

Thanks!

I really like Black Powder for any of the Revolver Cartridges which began with it.

I would like to go about Loading for these where I can be doing the best job possible, so, learning about optimal compression amounts, or if these may vary with different brand Powders, or even with different weight Boooits, for a given Cartridge, will be fun and interesting and will figure in to this perfectly.