PDA

View Full Version : timing on an old H&R 6 shot top break?

mistermog
10-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Hi guys,

In playing around with an old H&R top break (I think it's a 3rd variation 3rd model, auto eject) 32 long, I noticed the timing is way off, like 1/8th of an inch or so. I haven't shot it yet but I'd have to adjust the cylinder ever shot by hand to line it up to even consider it.

The notches on the little ejector spud thing are all pretty worn, is there a way to find out if this is fixable or replaceable?

I can't find much info on these things at all, the places I do find with parts are more than I paid for the whole gun. :) I'm not even sure what model I have to be honest.

Boolit_Head
10-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Not an expert and definitely have no experience with a H&R, but look at the relationship of what I believe is called a trigger lever and the ejector on the cylinder. Those are the two parts responsible for rotating the cylinder. I had a issue with a Smith and Wesson revolver once that had the trigger lever slipping off the nub on the ejector prematurely. This happened before the cylinder was completely rotated on one chamber only consistently in this case. S&W ended up replacing the ejector and it's been 100% ever since. That is pretty touchy work too so might want to get a GS with some knowledge to look it over before any tools touch it. An really old school smith might be able to silver solder or weld or something for build up to fix depending on what is up with it. The new school smiths tend to quickly go to new parts instead of making old parts fit. Now which one is the best course is up another discussion but definitely seek several opinions from smiths before you give up on it.

mistermog
10-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Yeah this one doesn't seem to slip off, its like its been worn down by a LOT of use. I'm not sure if its worth trying to find the part, as they seem to be hand fit and serialized. Not sure what to do, hoping with the popularity of these things, someone else has seen it. I'll try and get a pic of the nubs tomorrow too.

Boolit_Head
10-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Not sure what you mean but wear could be causing it to not rotate enough to lock the cyl.