PDA

View Full Version : Jakes Moly Ceresin lube

Hardcast416taylor
10-02-2016, 02:31 PM
I was just rummaging thru an old cabinet when I found 9 paper wrapped sticks of this lube. Don`t know where or when I got it or for what reason. Anybody know anything about this stuff? I use Ed`s Red lube or Carnuba Red lube and wonder why I have this stuff.Robert

rwadley
10-02-2016, 03:26 PM
It appears that it's still available.

http://www.jakesproducts.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17613&cat=255&page=1

Ceresin is derived from ozokerite (earth wax).

Ozokerite was once more commonly used in bullet lube (similar to paraffin).

runfiverun
10-04-2016, 10:22 PM
it melts like paraffin too. [goes from solid to liquid instantly]
ozokerite is mined and is basically naturally formed paraffin.
it's about as good as carnuba red, and slightly better than magma's lube.
melt and flow point is about in the middle too.

RBak
10-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Geesh...what a coincidence!

I was looking though some "stuff" on the bench the other day and came across over a dozen tubes of this lube.
I just can't remember buying it, and, for the life of me, I don't recall where it came from.
In fact, I was going to ask the same question, what is it and what's it good for?

It seems I have two types, a 'Scarlet' and a 'Ceresin'....what's the difference? and are they a decent lube?

Looks like Jake must've had one-heck-of a special on Lube at one time.......

Russ

rwadley
10-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Geesh...what a coincidence!

I was looking though some "stuff" on the bench the other day and came across over a dozen tubes of this lube.
I just can't remember buying it, and, for the life of me, I don't recall where it came from.
In fact, I was going to ask the same question, what is it and what's it good for?

It seems I have two types, a 'Scarlet' and a 'Ceresin'....what's the difference? and are they a decent lube?

Looks like Jake must've had one-heck-of a special on Lube at one time.......

Russ

One difference is that the lube sticks on the right have molybdenum disulfide in it. Also, they require slightly less heat than the ones on the left.

runfiverun
10-29-2016, 07:50 PM
airc for a while there if you bought a bunch it was like 2 bucks a stick.

throw about 20% in with some beeswax based lube it'll flow better at lower temps.
it will also flow sooner in your barrel.
it's okay as is if your used to hard waxy lubes [like the commercial casters use] and have a heater on your sizer.