PDA

View Full Version : WTB tools to make 22 bullets from 22 lr cases

Ken
06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I would like to buy the tools necessary to make 22 bullets using lead wire and 22 lr cases.. Anyone have some they want to part with?

DLCTEX
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I have been toying with the idea of using Lee sizing dies for making jacketed 22 bullets. I know from Bullshops reports that the Lee sizer die can be used to form the jackets. It would entail turning down the punch a little to give clearence for the jacket. For the purist you could order the custom mold for$29 at .223 dia. to leave room to bump up at the final forming, as suggested by Corbin. I believe you could use the .224 die to make a form die by boring from the top for a threaded insert that would form the nose portion, with a nose punch hole through it to punch out the finished bullet. Various nose forms could be exchanged. This would eliminate a lot of machine work at a low cost. What do you think?

blysmelter
08-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

wonderwolf
08-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I really like the lee .223 jacket maker idea but I do agree with corbin as far as bumping up the jacket after its swaged.

So far the cheapest I've found one can get into this game is about $800 from Richard corbin. Thats a press, 3 die set and a core mold. No extra point forms and no .22RF-.223 jacket maker. :Fire:

I'm looking at making bullets from 40ish gr up to or past 80gr. The lighter with a smaller ogive for things like the .22 hornet family and the heavier ones with longer ogives for .223, 22-250 etc. Boat tails are a option but that seems to be a extra die set instead of just a different base form die from Richard corbin

eventually if I could make a run of things I would like to get into .243 ,375 and 458 swaging....Time and money are all that stands in my way lol

shooterg
08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
With jacketed bullet prices today, this making .22 case jackets/ .223 bullets could be it's own forum ! I've ordered a core mold and jacket maker from Blackmon, but his dies for the rest don't fit a regular press(although very reasonable compared to Corbin prices). He does sell a conversion for a Rock Chucker so I'm scouting the gun show tables looking for an old rusty Chucker !

georgeld
08-25-2008, 12:11 AM
You might look around for a press with threaded hole to take shotgun dies. Old Herters and Lyman turrets both have one that size. I've got one of each but and not that far along yet.

something to keep in mind if you run across some other press the head will come off. Might be able to either redo that, or make a new head for it with the right threads. Some machine shops, or handy individuals may not charge more than you can stand to do the work.

Good luck,

wonderwolf
08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
I've noticed that myself that some swage dies take a proprietary press although I could understand this to some point as few presses other than the RC can take it, and with anything bigger than .223 I would want a purpose made press.

45 2.1
08-25-2008, 07:22 AM
I've noticed that myself that some swage dies take a proprietary press although I could understand this to some point as few presses other than the RC can take it, and with anything bigger than .223 I would want a purpose made press.

The problem with most presses is the amount of force it requires to swage something. A good example is when your swageing lead cores. The die will keep extruding lead thru the bleed hole even on a rock Chucker for awhile due to the frame stretching. The stronger swageing presses stop bleeding almost immediately when doing this as they don't stretch.

dancingbear41
09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi,

I bought the kit for making .224 HP bullets from .22LR cases a number of years ago from a company called Sport Flite Manufacturing Co.

I found their details on a wbesite:

Sport Flite Mfg., P.O. Box 1082, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303-1082; (248) 674-3747 .

The kit consisted of the die to form the jackets, a core die, core seater die, bullet swaging die and a ram to convert an RCBS Rockchucker into a swaging press. The whole kit was not expensive. I will admit it is not up to the same standard of Corbin's equipment,(which I use to swage pistol bullets) but if you wish to experiment it is affordable. I don't know if the company still exist, it was anumber of years ago that I bought mine, but it may well be worth investigating.

The bullets do not come out as pristine as factory produced ones but they shoot OK, surprisingly well actually.

I hope this helps.

Simon.

mike in co
09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
rcbs......rock chucker bullet swager

nice topic...keep me in touch with any developments.......

i'd like to make my own 22's too

mike in co

DLCTEX
09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Phone # for sport flite is no longer in service. May be out of business. DALE

jdjframes
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I really like the lee .223 jacket maker idea but I do agree with corbin as far as bumping up the jacket after its swaged.

So far the cheapest I've found one can get into this game is about $800 from Richard corbin. Thats a press, 3 die set and a core mold. No extra point forms and no .22RF-.223 jacket maker. :Fire:

I'm looking at making bullets from 40ish gr up to or past 80gr. The lighter with a smaller ogive for things like the .22 hornet family and the heavier ones with longer ogives for .223, 22-250 etc. Boat tails are a option but that seems to be a extra die set instead of just a different base form die from Richard corbin

eventually if I could make a run of things I would like to get into .243 ,375 and 458 swaging....Time and money are all that stands in my way lol

Try Larry Balckmon (fax 318-325-7034). Makes a nice swaging set ($530 with his press, $475 with modified RCBS Rockchucker) includes core swage, core seater and point form die. 4 cavity core mould is $95. Does fine work.

jcunclejoe
10-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Sport Flight Mfg is out of business, the owner died several years ago. I believe someone bought the remainig stock and the rights to the product. From what I could tell they sold the remaining sets on Ebay and that is the last I heard from them. I thought they had plans of re-starting production, but have not seen anything.
I also have a Sport Flight set and they make great bullets.
Joe

deltaenterprizes
10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a set that Corbin made to fit a reloading press I bought when Bill & Hill got into office for $150, have they gone up that much?

KTN
10-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Some day I try to make die set to swage bullets from .22 LR cases,just to see if I can.
I already made jacket drawing die,and it works.Core seating die is easy to make,only real challenge is making pointforming die with proper dimensions and shape and heat treating it right.
Maybe this winter I can find time to try it.

Kaj

shooterg
10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Lee will make a push through size die for like $39 in any size, right ? Why wouldn't they be willing to make the punch the correct size for drawing .22 cases to match ? They'd still be half the price of anyone else's derimmer/jacket maker. Maybe this could be a group buy if it worked. There's a lot of interest in making this size bullet now. I have purchased Blackmon's derimmer and core mold, have ordered the other dies from him to fit the used Corbin press I lucked on to, but it sure looks like an opportunity for RCBS to get back into this niche, or Lee to jump in.

ronbo
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I used to have a Corbin die set to make 22 jacketed bullets from rimfire casings. I had a lead core mould and made a homemade core cutter. The only thing I could make was hollowpoints with the brittle rimfire jackets. They really did not shoot worth a hoot and did not expand well on PD's. I don't recommend it, 22 caliber jacketed bullets are not that expensive compared to the cost of the dies to make them.

shooterg
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Years ago an outfit called MHG sold a bunch of 'em, around 60 grains. I shot thousands of 'em and at 100 and 200 yard reduced HP matches, couldn't tell the difference on the target between them and Sierra 69's in a 1/9 twist AR15. Did weigh/segregate the ones loaded for slow fire. I'd like to duplicate those and also make some higher quality ones with storebought jackets, just to be Obama proof !

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
C&H made a press to make bullets I have one I use to modify 38s.if you could get one on auction site it could have dies made.wonder if C&H would be interested in bringing the press back.
VICKERYS BOOK "ADVANCED GUNSMITHING has a set up for this.drawings you could follow to make a press. chapter 18 pg 364 I stored mine and a Modern Bond press and they never came back.I still have the dies to convert 22 emptys.
:coffeecom[smilie=1:

Ballard
12-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Ken,
PM sent your way.

Bad Karma
12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
As far as cores go why not use #12 shot and make some really nasty ones. I like the Lee ideas. C&H will make a custom die set for aroi=unf $215. Dave Corbi's stuff is way over priced for the working man. What about using a 6mm Lee die and a .224" punch and make nice long jackets rom 22 Magnum brass?

merrden
12-26-2008, 12:52 AM
C&H does still make swaging tooling and has a couple of presses. Those of us who own swage o matics are pretty much out of luck except for a few special order items. A conversion kit consisting of a 7/8 14 bushing and ram that accepts the reloading shell holder punches would give us a lot of good service. I am a machinist and have no access to machines and tooling.
Brass does work harden so we should anneal it 600 degrees for an hour or so should work. 550 for a little longer would work in our home range or stove. I made a die from a .224 m2 headed button but the jacket sticks to my punch. I'm negotiating on a herters die marked .224 but the punch question is holding up completion. I will not pay the price for another piece of tooling that I cannot use immediately. I have a corbin mity mite and a .308 - .284 reducing die and no punch also a 38 trim die that the punch is too long for my Rock chucker. My God I need a lathe and a mill !!! Any Ideas?

acemedic13
12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I just got a .218 bee martini. I wanted to start casting AND swaging for this gun. I have yet to invest in any swaging equipment. Could you make jackets for this little gun in 55 gr. out of 22 casings??
The reason I ask is, when I do take the plunge into swaging, I will be spending a lot of money on new stuff. I am saving so I can buy everything for 4 calibers in one swoop. SOOOOOooooooooo, I wanted to see if this gear should be on my list. I'm a little off topic (sorry) but I wanna know. Thanks. Joel