PDA

View Full Version : lubricating rossi 92 for bp

passgas55
10-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I want to start shooting bp loads out my Rossi 92. I was looking for alternatives for petro base oils for lubrication of the gun.
I came across this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eco-Sheep-EVERYDAY-SHEEP-3.5-oz-Sheep-Oil-Based-Biodegradable-Bike-Chain-Oil-Lube-For-Commuter-and-Recreational-Bicycles-Eco-friendly-Includes-In/125215943#about

Do you think these will be a good idea or am I should stick with the petro oils?
Thanks

Calamity Jake
10-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Ballistol, is a great lube, mixed 50-50 with water(moose milk) makes as a great BP cleaner.
Any gun shop should have it.

passgas55
10-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Ballistol, is a great lube, mixed 50-50 with water(moose milk) makes as a great BP cleaner.
Any gun shop should have it.
I agree about the Ballistol. I have one can left but I can not find it local. I wish walmart would carry it so I can order it and have it shipped free to the store. There is a gun show coming up in 3 weeks. I will check there.

I think the sheep oil would work as a lube but won't make a good moose milk. I was planning on the hot water/soap clean up like I do on my pistols. I do use Ballistol as the lube but like I said I would like to find something local that would work without having to pay big on shipping.

Rebel Dave
10-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Most of the on line shooter supply sellers have Ballistol. It is good stuff, for black, for cleaning, and lubing You cant go wrong.

Rebel Dave

country gent
10-02-2016, 08:59 PM
For simple light lube try canola oil if you think you need it. The cases should expand to seal the chamber so alot is getting into the action though.

northmn
10-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Shot muzzleloaders in competition and built them. Tried a lot of different stuff. Water is about as good a cleaner as anything. Petro oils work about as well as anything, but for the bore some like to wipe them out with a good solvent like alcohol before shooting. Best protection is to clean and oil then come back and check a day later or so. Second oiling and wiping seems to hold if the first does not.

DP

Lead Fred
10-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Ballistol is an oil, oil will turn your bore into a sludge factory. Just say no to oil.

You can eat the stuff. Its what I use in my flintlock & black powder cartridges.

Ive fired over 75 shots with my flinter inside of 2 hours. Never hung up one ball.
Could have done another 75, no problem.

John Boy
10-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Eezox... use it on all my BP firearms and many BP shooters do also
http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

Groo
10-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Groo here
The best could well be SPG lube.
The purpose of the lube is to keep the BP remains soft so the bullet will not be torn on firing .
This also helps in the action to keep things smooth.
Most oil or wax based lubes will not do this.
Try this, Gojo water less hand cleaner,