PDA

View Full Version : Sling suggestion for all-original 1886 Winchester? (no tapping wanted)

Wardo1974
10-02-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm hunting with a few all-original Winchesters - 1886, 1894.

None of them have ever been modified and I have zero desire to drill a hole in the stock for an Uncle Mike's stud. At the same time though, because they are long, heavy rifles, I'd like to have some kind of sling arrangement.

I saw online a few do-dads that looked like they'd work but I can't find the seller. It was kind of a lace-on "boot" that goes on the butt of the stock that has an Uncle Mike's stud integral with it so you can remove it whenever you want. I'm okay with the front part, as I'd just get one of those tube-magazine studs you can attach and remove as needed.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me? I really like the "brass stacker" one I saw, but they don't ship to Canada and don't make one for the 1886.

HABCAN
10-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Surely, with a few pieces of hobby-shop material (leather??) you could fabricate one to your own design? And post a few pics here??

GhostHawk
10-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Start with a 6 foot piece of latigo strap leather.

Back when I hunted a lot I had a sling that was not fixed or mounted. Loop on one end went between the barrel and the magazine tube. Other end was a slip knot and went on the pistol grip.

Often once we go to where we would hunt the sling would be removed.

Main thing is to start with a solid piece of leather long enough, strong enough yet thin enough to attach.

Wardo1974
10-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the DIY ideas, but I think I'd rather just buy a nice one. With a house full of little kids, I'm lucky to get the time to reload ammo, nevermind begin leatherworking. Ha ha.

tsubaki
10-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Look at dixiegunworks at an ALO100 Universal Rifle Sling.

tunnug
10-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Here you go, and at $26 and change it's good value.
http://www.octobercountry.com/universal-sling/